Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 30, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo and Bulldogs, ManU
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...d/news-story/86eacdc42138c638aee8c53a6f3d77a0

Interesting article re: kicking inside 50. We're roughly middle-bottom of the pack for retaining the ball when kicking inside 50.

Here's what caught my eye: Ed Langdon is the 3rd worst kick inside 50 in the competition. Of his 30 kicks inside 50 we have retained posession of 5 of them. 5. That's not even mark rate that's just pure next possession.

Now it is still relatively early in the season numbers wise, 30 isn't a large sample to be making a judgement on. For example you see McCluggage there who is a better kick than Langdon IMO. But it passes the eye test - we know he sprays it. Even his handballs are loopy and prone to turnover. Compare it to B.Hill. Again I wish we could actually access these stats because you could bump it up to include last year.

I'd actually be inclined to let him go should a Vic team offer a decent package for him. Given we now have now hitched our wagon to Hogan as a KPF, who is more of a JJK lead-up style forward than anything else.

I've had this in the back of my mind for a while.
His running is elite and he fills the gaps nicely but just slaughters the ball...and lols...old Bradey has just had a stroke now his perception of Brad Hill might not hold up

blue shark

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I've had this in the back of my mind for a while.
His running is elite and he fills the gaps nicely but just slaughters the ball...and lols...old Bradey has just had a stroke now his perception of Brad Hill might not hold up
Lach our congestion game was perfect for the big bodied inside mids, with SHill supplying the class and run.
We don't have those type of players anymore in numbers and the game moved on.
BHill was fine at the Hawks, Mayne plays a transition role at Pies, all players look better with seperation.
Honestly our stagnant forward line and kick it long, at least in the old days SHill could kick them from
50, which means the defender had to choose an option.
If SHill was available Langdon would be playing the Mayne role?

Ysaye

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
If the reports are true and we have been looking at Jarvis Pina and Daly Andrews for the mid-season draft then I reckon we think Langdon is a good chance to go ( they think we should get an extra 0.5 of a season of professional environment into that player).

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
If the reports are true and we have been looking at Jarvis Pina and Daly Andrews for the mid-season draft then I reckon we think Langdon is a good chance to go ( they think we should get an extra 0.5 of a season of professional environment into that player).
not sure you can link them together.

our midfield is pretty thin in depth at the moment and getting another midfielder especially on the outside makes sense.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle

Are they good ball users?

We should’ve done more to help Langdon improve his kicking imo. If anything, he’s worse now than when he was drafted.

Ysaye

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Are they good ball users?

We should’ve done more to help Langdon improve his kicking imo. If anything, he’s worse now than when he was drafted.

From the little I have seen:
  • Pina - a "considered" kick, often kicking on the move and clearly thinking about where he is sending in it whilst doing so. Reminds me a little bit of Michael Johnson; I am left wondering if he will get run down at AFL level the way he tends to just keep moving from the mark in the same way that Johnson sometimes did. Decent distance on the kick for a small guy, and you can see him having the same advantages to M. Johnson as well.
  • Andrews - Have only seen a little bit, but would say a powerful kick but accuracy a little bit to be desired; would compare to Bewley; I think Bewley should in theory be a better version of a good long kick as his technique looks better but we all know that doesn't guarantee anything.

jedi mind tricks

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 13, 2011
Dream State
AFL Club
Fremantle
I honestly can't see Freo making finals. So firstly I want to be in a good position come draft. Unfortunately there is no incentive in coming 9th.

I also want Freo to draft genuine match winners.

My priority. Trade week improve draft picks and get a free agent or two.

1 Coniglio
2 Kelly

Freo lack mid talent after Fyfe and Mundy. Barlow was treated poorly by Lyon once Neale came in. Now Freo don't have either player.

Secondly who do we need to draft? I want an elite mid with minimal injury concerns. So many first round draft picks that couldn't play do to injury ruined careers

Thoughts and opinions but please let this not get into an argument and derail what can be a mature analysis

blue shark

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I honestly can't see Freo making finals. So firstly I want to be in a good position come draft. Unfortunately there is no incentive in coming 9th.

I also want Freo to draft genuine match winners.

My priority. Trade week improve draft picks and get a free agent or two.

1 Coniglio
2 Kelly

Freo lack mid talent after Fyfe and Mundy. Barlow was treated poorly by Lyon once Neale came in. Now Freo don't have either player.

Secondly who do we need to draft? I want an elite mid with minimal injury concerns. So many first round draft picks that couldn't play do to injury ruined careers

Thoughts and opinions but please let this not get into an argument and derail what can be a mature analysis
I honestly thought this post would be about coaches, and replacements at Freo, Peel.
We lack speed, skill, muscle, or all 3 Bolton, Kelly, Coniglio trade targets.
Draft speedy forward, wing, mid. All available from WA state team.

jedi mind tricks

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 13, 2011
Dream State
AFL Club
Fremantle
I honestly thought this post would be about coaches, and replacements at Freo, Peel.
We lack speed, skill, muscle, or all 3 Bolton, Kelly, Coniglio trade targets.
Draft speedy forward, wing, mid. All available from WA state team.

Yes we have discussed coaches in other threads. For what it's worth I'd be happy to look at J Lo or Caracella if they genuinely want to coach Freo. Plus I'd like a forward coach who can sort it out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

blue shark

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yes we have discussed coaches in other threads. For what it's worth I'd be happy to look at J Lo or Caracella if they genuinely want to coach Freo. Plus I'd like a forward coach who can sort it out.
Have to look at the system, development at Peel, and Freo. Unsure why we let Menagola, B Grey, Deluca, Nads go.
The new recruits from Vic, Jones and Meek, are all underwhelming.
Barlow was dog hungry, haven't seen that for awhile now.

jedi mind tricks

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 13, 2011
Dream State
AFL Club
Fremantle
Have to look at the system, development at Peel, and Freo. Unsure why we let Menagola, B Grey, Deluca, Nads go.

Barlow helped create a club culture. On and off the field. Ross tossed him into a different role and then moved him in.

Barloe Fyfe Mundy and Neale would have been an elite midfield but hey what would I know. Plus deBoer has played great footy for GWS. We gave him away. Another man of character

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

Really!? Grey and Deluca were shite here. Average skills and will never be AFL players. Nads is exactly like Jones and Meek - too slow and will never be AFL quality.

Menegola was a mistake. He’s no superstar but is exactly what we need. Big bodied mids who’re athletic guns don’t exactly grow in trees. Having said I bet anyone on here would want a 23 year old rookie with no AFL games delisted if they were on our list now.

We’ve recruited poorly with first rounders leaving a gap in our list which’ll take unbelievable recruiting to fix. Drafting short people who have no forward craft like Crowden and Giro and trading in fringe players from other teams like Kersten and Colyer doesn’t help either.

Overall midfield and medium/small forwards are a problem. It’ll take time but delisting the above guys bar Menegola I would see as making us better not worse.

Last edited:

blue shark

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Collins is another player that gave leadership, better culture around Peel. Sure the above guys are not world
beaters, but many had heart.
Look at Nads at E Freo the worst team in the league, his numbers compared to our rucks. Can at least score.

MadMundy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal, Glory, Bulls
I still believe that dropping Sam Collins from the list was the wrong thing to do. Longmuir would be a good coach to trial with I reckon. Coniglio is a must target during the off-season though, throw all your money at him. Kelly is gonna stay with Geelong now the way they're going imo.

blue shark

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I still believe that dropping Sam Collins from the list was the wrong thing to do. Longmuir would be a good coach to trial with I reckon. Coniglio is a must target during the off-season though, throw all your money at him. Kelly is gonna stay with Geelong now the way they're going imo.
Cats are a good comparison for us to follow, game plan, style, look at what changes they made when everyone
expected them to fall.

Apr 14, 2018
Just up the street
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC
Cogs won’t come to Freo, that’s fairytale stuff. Kelly is and should be our main objective. Throw the farm at him. Might be easier if Ross wasn’t here, but I feel he’ll see his contract out. Freo need to make some hard decisions particularly if they want to be a player mid season draft as I believe they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back