Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
NY Mets, NO Pelicans, Toronto Leafs
I’d pay our 1st round 2020 for Kelly.

No more, no less.

Out of contract, he told Geelong he wants home. If he doesn’t sign over the bye round. Swap 1st round pick.

If he’s doesn’t sign in the bye before finals when they’re minor premiers looking at a flag, then they will lose serious leverage.

Strikes me a bit like the Hamling and Headland trades after premierships. Cats might be more open after a flag Win.

Why no less?

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ghost Pig

Club Legend
Jan 21, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
i hope we are involved in this trade only so wce pay massive overs for him.

im not done with drafting elite youngsters yet, if any gun mids come in they can come through free agency afaic.

why are we tryna sell the farm to someone who disrepected us last year to the whole afl community, then when we look on the up all of a sudden might come back to play with us? yeah nah

now we've started performing more respectably and have an exciting-ish list its time to show a little poise and grace and let them come to us rather than us desperately trying to pry them from more eastern clutches.

i mean let our new draft team have a crack with a first rounder in each of their first two years on the job, wont we be so accomodating?

Jul 20, 2018
Still think there’s a Des Headland monument in regards to Tim Kelly

If Liam comes on as good as we hope, then we won’t have a high first round to offer him - we will be downgrading our first for points to get him on the cheap

So that’ll leave a trade and high pick

They will ask for someone like Langdon, Darcy or Cox

I don’t rate him as high as others, disposal is suspect and watching last night, did nothing to wow me.

Ohh and ***** him after last seasons debacle and that **** of a manager he has.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
A decent article but also a bit simplistic. It only really looks at successes and not the also-rans which is not great for analyses. Franklin, Coniglio and co were never realistically available to WA clubs, but yes there have definitely been some over-looked.

The idea that you draft Naughton when the club has massive needs in the midfield an example. Also, Hamling sitting on our list for 3-4 years developing slowly would be a waste, and quite happy for other clubs to get him up to AFL standard.

For the future the club has some changes that may result in the WA assessments being stronger, notably the Victoria based Loyd leaving. Perhaps the NGA may give us better intel about other talent developing within the state than we have had?

My main frustration is when there are local boys who fill a need and are value for a particular pick, but are passed in favour of a different option. There are good WA players who fit well for our needs and seem like good value for the first pick next year. Doing the obvious is not a bad thing.

Oct 19, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
yes you are ri
A decent article but also a bit simplistic. It only really looks at successes and not the also-rans which is not great for analyses. Franklin, Coniglio and co were never realistically available to WA clubs, but yes there have definitely been some over-looked.

The idea that you draft Naughton when the club has massive needs in the midfield an example. Also, Hamling sitting on our list for 3-4 years developing slowly would be a waste, and quite happy for other clubs to get him up to AFL standard.

For the future the club has some changes that may result in the WA assessments being stronger, notably the Victoria based Loyd leaving. Perhaps the NGA may give us better intel about other talent developing within the state than we have had?

My main frustration is when there are local boys who fill a need and are value for a particular pick, but are passed in favour of a different option. There are good WA players who fit well for our needs and seem like good value for the first pick next year. Doing the obvious is not a bad thing.[/QUOTE yes you are right articles does n't consider some aspects....as you said recruiters should not be influenced by the hype of eastern media about victorian players as well

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle

(Log in to remove this ad.)

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Well Mexicans do love their TACo’s
Anyone else think the professional environment of the TAC cup could be a negative in the long term
So these young fellas step pretty much into a AFL club simulation , the training , the diet , the game tactics etc
After a couple of years of this these guys are pretty close to AFL ready and all look the goods in their draft year , the recruiters look at them and at the young WAFL or SANFL players and even to their experienced eye they just look superior so obviously draft accordingly
BUT after a few years and the development imbalance has been rectified it turns out quite a few of those TACo’s were not all they were cracked up to be

Just a thought

On iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yes it's a bit hindsighty but I couldn't agree more Mr Duffield and just so as not to 'bandwagon' on the back of his story that's from a few years back

arsesmart

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Freo recruiting did steer with a definite focus on the east right after the Fyfe draft. It doesn't seem coincidence that Smart sidestepped Harvey, next year Smart is gawn and in comes the Lloyds and then a bunch of mid-sized Vics and Croweaters.

Hindsight's infallible of course, but some more obvious selections like BHilly stick in the craw when Forster's back in the Festivus state somewhere.

Aug 23, 2017
Grounded
AFL Club
Fremantle
This year the back yard is looking good, hidden and not so hidden gems, Robertson, Rivers would be good if they slide a bit. Looked good in the WA v VicM game.

Henry looked good as well, but wasn’t as excited by Sharp as others.

Last edited:

blue shark

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
This year the back yard is looking good, hidden and not so hidden gems, Robertson, Rivers would be good if they slide a bit. Looked good in the WA v VicM game.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Just another 2 goals a year and we would be pushing for top 4,. Maybe that comes from within SHill, Bennell, or the draft, trade.
With taking a defender in the MSD, having Logue we should be able to cover as best we can without Pearce.
Still a question mark on Pearce's durability and that maybe ongoing playing at Optus?
Think we will look for fast skilled players, forward or midfield, but they must have evidence of getting on the scoreboard.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle

I would be quite happy to see all our picks going for WA boys this draft. I know there is some on here chatting Henry up as a top 10 pick, but I am still hoping he slides past our second.

First pick; Sharp or Robertson
Second Pick; Rivers, Jackson, Taylor
Henry

Perfect draft.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle

Ysaye

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Wasn't at the U18 game (WA versus Vic Metro) but I have watched the footage this morning. Just some initial thoughts / ramblings:

(1) Bianco - not familiar with watching him but just stood out as a player where there was some really good signs - I thought he was clean, ran both ways and displayed good skill and execution. Wouldn't surprise me if he is the one next year that everyone who had a pick in the top 10 says "why did we overlook him?". On my radar after that performance.
(2) Rowell - noticed him but not as much I thought I might. Still, would guess from what I did see that he has a huge workrate and probably had lots of possessions - probably no slippage there.
(3) Ruscoe - I know I said earlier in the week I thought it was 50/50% that he gets drafted but having said that I thought he showed enough to put himself into a very good position to be drafted (as a midsized backman / utility) if he can back that up. I just like his reading of the play and his defensive effort and he gets a lot of it.
(4) Garcia's showed some good skills on the run and he moves well both in and out of traffic which opens up a lot of roles at AFL level. Would be a nice pickup for some club in the 20s-30s.
(5) I really like the agility of (Luke) Jackson in the middle and around the grounds and together with his skills I just reckon he is what a lot of clubs will want with a modern ruckman. It felt like he played most of the game in the ruck, but he didn't seem to look that tired at the end of the day.
(6) I really like a lot of things about Robertson's game (huge work rate and got to a lot of contests, clean hands, good decisions) but is his speed (both movement and decision making) up to it at the next level? AFL is frantic and I just wonder if some of those handballs and / or kicks would not look as good under more pressure?
(7) Agree with those that said that Henry was trying to play from behind the man too much in the first quarter - when he fixed that up in the third he looked a lot better. He seemed a lot less vocal than other games I have seen him play in as well. Still, he tackled a lot and was good with his skills.
(8) LemmingMaster mentioned it too, but I was a bit disappointed with some of Sharp's efforts when his opponent had the ball; there was not the same level of intensity. There were some great kicks from him though (although there was also that moment when he drilled a pass to a player who then handballed it back to him on the run which he then kicked it out of the full under no pressure at all!).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back