Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'd send an athlete to him purely to tag and Tucker will NEVER find space.

That’s quite definitive.
I’d hazard guess he would, at some stage, don’t you think?-especially if it’s an athlete like Hughes tagging him.

Also is every wingman in the league hill/Langdon quick are they? Or perhaps more pertinently is there no average speed wingers running around??

I get what you mean and agree he could use some more pace but he’s not slow.
And he does have very good endurance (key element)
Whether he would(as I’ve not seen enough of tucker in that role) but certainly think he could btw.

What I do know tho is what does make a team look slow is when a player consistently burns the ball in transition.,

Catching our other players out of position, in turn making the rest of his team having to play catch up with
a lot of unnecessary running, leading to tired players = slow payers.

And ed burns balls in transition like few others

Brad Hill and Tucker (not as proven in the role though).
Tucker has played the wing a majority of his career. He doesn’t get enough of it, and isn’t fast enough. Langdon uses his speed and endurance at the same time to get his disposals. Tucker will struggle in that role tbh

It's cringe how much of a whipping boy Langdon has become because people think hes leaving us. We're so childish here.

Runs both ways, puts on enormous pressure and actually tackles
Capable of hitting the scoreboard
One of our more consistent players
Top 4 in our b&f last year and probably top 5 so far this year

His kicking isn't a good strong point, but you could say the same about 90% at a minimum of our list. There is a reason why the Vic clubs are offering him good money to come home. It will take years to replace him. As of next year, who would replace him?

Tucker - inconsistent, no speed, not reliable and doesn't take the game on. Reasonably good in his current role and wouldn't move him
Coyler - need I say more?
Sturt - a forward which everyone is convinced is a midfielder? Is he the next Logue/Hughes which the board becomes obsessed with becoming a midfielder?
Bewley - mature age recruit who's played more Peel games and struggled at afl level? Not writing him off, though his footy smarts, decision making and disposal thus far has been average, hence why we can't get a game\
Carter - a yet to debut half back flanker? Maybe in 3-4 years time he could reach Langdons level

We'll definitely miss Langdon if he leaves. The thought of losing both Hills and Langdon is the stuff of nightmares.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we are doomed, so we have to go deep in this draft with high picks. Give the new coach some cattle to work with.
We really don't have a choice imo

B: Nathan Wilson (26) Joel Hamling (26) Luke Ryan (23)
HB: Connor Blakely (23) Alex Pearce (25) Griffin Logue (21)
C: Brad Hill (26) Adam Cerra (19) Stephen Hill (29)
HF: Michael Walters (28)
F: Sam Sturt (18) Jesse Hogan (24) liam henry (17)
R: Rory Lobb (26) Nathan Fyfe (27) Andrew Brayshaw (19)
B:

Trade bait: Darcy, Langdon
I really like Lobb's mobility, which means we should consider trading Darcy especially if helps fill some of our other weaknesses.

I personally don't feel Matera or Switta should be near the best 22, so this is something we should target this year either through the draft or trade.
I think Cox or Taberner will fill the other KPF role, with Sturt as the mobile 3rd tall.

The midfield already lacks speed and skills, so idealy this is another thing we can target this year.

The big question is how far away are we from the top 4?
Should we push for a flag now, or hit the draft?

I like to think if we have our best 22 on the park we are close to top 4, but that appears to be a big if plus we tend to run our players into the ground during the year.

Think we need at least mid sized fowards that can a) take a contested mark b) can actually kick a goal and c) be agile enough to run in the midfield.

Dreamwise something like a DeGoey, but would be happy with someone like Mihochek.

Heard today North is likely for Brad Hill and Langdon maybe Melbourne.

If correct based on Stephen Hills offer we can expect band 1 compo.

Brad Hill would require Norths first.

Langdon would require Melbournes second

That takes us to the draft with 7,8,9,21,25 based on current ladder positions.

7,8,9 used on draft with 21 on Henry gives us 4 genuine top ten talent from 1 draft pool.

Horrible for the short term but if we nail it outstanding for the long term

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

7,8,9 used on draft with 21 on Henry gives us 4 genuine top ten talent from 1 draft pool.

If that happens, I want a fresh start in the coaching department as well.

We can't just keep going to the draft for high picks, it is a lottery and then you have to wait about 3 seasons or 50-60 games before they can even be something. We have got players like Langdon and Tucker to those marks, we can't just keep starting over again as our drafting has been pretty hit and miss anyway.

B: Nathan Wilson (26) Joel Hamling (26) Luke Ryan (23)
HB: Connor Blakely (23) Alex Pearce (25) Griffin Logue (21)
C: Brad Hill (26) Adam Cerra (19) Stephen Hill (29)
HF: Michael Walters (28)
F: Sam Sturt (18) Jesse Hogan (24) liam henry (17)
R: Rory Lobb (26) Nathan Fyfe (27) Andrew Brayshaw (19)
B:

Trade bait: Darcy, Langdon
I really like Lobb's mobility, which means we should consider trading Darcy especially if helps fill some of our other weaknesses.

I personally don't feel Matera or Switta should be near the best 22, so this is something we should target this year either through the draft or trade.
I think Cox or Taberner will fill the other KPF role, with Sturt as the mobile 3rd tall.

The midfield already lacks speed and skills, so idealy this is another thing we can target this year.

The big question is how far away are we from the top 4?
Should we push for a flag now, or hit the draft?

I like to think if we have our best 22 on the park we are close to top 4, but that appears to be a big if plus we tend to run our players into the ground during the year.
I think we need to be consistently making finals before we think about top 4.

The way that GC are going I think the AFL would step in and stop any S Hill type signing if the amounts that have been spoken about are even half correct. Also if we lose Langdon and B Hill in the 1 year there goes all of our speed on the outside which we can't replace with anyone in our current squad.

Unfortunately, unless we bring in another bunch of Nat Fyfe’s, changing personnel won’t have a lot of impact. It is all about the game plan and structure we roll out and the positive environment and culture we create. Both of these seem to be lacking big time at the moment.

The skill errors are frustrating but a lot of them are coming from our good users in Walters, Mundy, Hill (don’t really rate his skill execution that highly though tbh) as much as Hughes, Langdon, Colyer etc. These are down to confidence, the way we play and the constant pressure on and lack of options.

With a fully fit team we are competitive but every team gets injuries. Our depth is severely lacking evidenced by Peel who seem to be facing the same predicament as Freo with the above issues.

Time to make a fresh start with a new coaching group and bring back the enjoyment and attacking flair in the players. Simplify the game for them which has worked with other sides in similar situations.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back