Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They mean second round picks. Fox sports make heaps of errors like this. They are too quick to get their material out their for clicks and have monkeys doing their editing.
It doesn't matter whether or not they have Sydney's 1st, because Kelly will pick his club and get there.

It doesn't matter whether or not they have Sydney's 1st, because Kelly will pick his club and get there.

Thats the part that is so ridiculous isn't it and people are so stupid that they don't see it.

Kelly has to approve of his movement in the AFL system. So if he choose Freo because the offer is 1.2mill per year (just an example) hes not going to agree to a deal to WCE whom can only offer him 900k per year (again an example).
Kelly chooses, simple as that. West Coast and Fremantle influence that by their offers and selling themselves, Geelong get no say in the matter and either get a deal done so can move or refuse to trade him and then send him to the draft.

I agree but the article is still wrong.

The Eagles have WC 1st round, Sydney 2nd round and WC 2nd round.

It appears (as always suspected) Tim Kelly will again nominate WC. There isn’t too much point Freo throwing a heap of extra cash at T.Kelly. Our best chance is if WC can’t satisfy Geelong with a suitable trade request. It will be a Mitch Clark scenario we come in late into the trade period (maybe with a slightly higher salary) but trump WC’s trade with an early first pick. At the worst WC will have to cough up big time something like 2019/20 1sts and the Sydney 2019 second to get the deal done or replace one of the picks with someone like Jarrod Brander.

Thats the part that is so ridiculous isn't it and people are so stupid that they don't see it.

Kelly has to approve of his movement in the AFL system. So if he choose Freo because the offer is 1.2mill per year (just an example) hes not going to agree to a deal to WCE whom can only offer him 900k per year (again an example).
Kelly chooses, simple as that. West Coast and Fremantle influence that by their offers and selling themselves, Geelong get no say in the matter and either get a deal done so can move or refuse to trade him and then send him to the draft.
I don't agree. If he chooses WC there is a chance that he will end up at Freo

I don't agree. If he chooses WC there is a chance that he will end up at Freo

Not if he doesn't agree to there isn't.

There is a scenario where WCE don't meet Geelongs demands, Geelong then implore him to re-consider FFC to which HE AGREES TO and then he gets traded to FFC.

I can't see WC being able to offer the money that a) (Mrs) Kelly wants b) Freo's offer.

Gaff, McGovern, Shuey and Yeo would all be on big bucks plus guys like JK, NN and Hurn on decent dollars but only short terms. Wouldn't be much left for the Kelly family.

Vanders is taking a leaf out of the Colin Young book of player mgmt and playing one team off against the other even though one is an unrealistic chance dollars wise.

Not if he doesn't agree to there isn't.

There is a scenario where WCE don't meet Geelongs demands, Geelong then implore him to re-consider FFC to which HE AGREES TO and then he gets traded to FFC.
He has already said he would consider it this time. If Geelong are not satisfied with the trade WC offer and are with ours, they may say if you want to get home we can make it happen with Freo. He may be in a position to accept a little less money to go to the team he prefers or take more money from a team that is not.

I think we are a chance to get Kelly. He has acknowledged his career will be shorter because he has started his AFL career later and he needs to make hay while the sun is shining. We should have more salary cap available than West Coast. Thoughts?

Why would Kelly choose WC over Freo if Freo are offering more $? Kelly has stated he's going to maximize his earning potential as he started late.

Why would Kelly choose WC over Freo if Freo are offering more $? Kelly has stated he's going to maximize his earning potential as he started late.
There are clearly lots of reasons he would choose WC over us. Well trained players also are never telling the full truth in an interview, but the truth that benefits them the most.

Re Kelly, considering his wife still has an old photo of him on her insta wearing dockers merch and his kid in the same, I am curious as to the reason why last years obvious decision to avoid Freo. I wonder what took him from wearing Dockers merch a few years back to actively avoiding recruitment by the team he used to support(?...you certainly wouldn't get me in an eagles supporters top and hat unless it was a dress up party and I was pretending to be a smug idiot). There's some back story or issue that I would be interested to hear.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kelly saying he is open to Fremantle is a classic negotiation move. I don't trust it.

BUT if he did end up in the draft he is fair game. Our first is my maximum trade price for this reason.

Regarding Kelly to Freo, it won't happen.

There's some long-standing behind the scenes politics here that people are unaware of or overlooking - the recent Cats/South Freo love fest highlighted this.

Tim Kelly's manager is entrenched at South Freo. The relationship between South Freo and FFC is terrible (to put it lightly). South Freo will not want to be seen helping FFC in any capacity.

FFC are merely being used as a bargaining chip to drive up the offer from WCE (which we should totally buy into to screw the WCE salary cap).

There's some long-standing behind the scenes politics here that people are unaware of or overlooking - the recent Cats/South Freo love fest highlighted this.

Tim Kelly's manager is entrenched at South Freo. The relationship between South Freo and FFC is terrible (to put it lightly). South Freo will not want to be seen helping FFC in any capacity.

FFC are merely being used as a bargaining chip to drive up the offer from WCE (which we should totally buy into to screw the WCE salary cap).
But if it all breaks down and he's in the draft, we should be pulling the trigger on our first pick if he's there before WC's pick. He has a short enough career already, no way he would sit out.

Well Kelly is dumb if he foregoes $$ to satisfy some behind-the-scenes politics. At the end of the day when he walks away from footy, South Freo aren't going to do anything for him.

Re Kelly, considering his wife still has an old photo of him on her insta wearing dockers merch and his kid in the same, I am curious as to the reason why last years obvious decision to avoid Freo. I wonder what took him from wearing Dockers merch a few years back to actively avoiding recruitment by the team he used to support(?...you certainly wouldn't get me in an eagles supporters top and hat unless it was a dress up party and I was pretending to be a smug idiot). There's some back story or issue that I would be interested to hear.
Apparently we showed no interest and WC did. The fact that WC showed interest and then overlooked him when they had many picks in that range, didn't seem to matter

The managers personal feelings should not come into it.

Last edited:
I reckon back then he wanted a flag. This is purely my opinion but I think he has a gokd FIRST YEAR in the AFL and he thought "I'm not going to be in the game as long as others, my missus wants to go home, I want a flag and WC can get me one".

However now he is a chance at a brownlow and his value has gone through the roof, and now the missus doesn't care about the flag anymore, but the dollars more important

That being said, I still think he ends up at the toast and their bloody dynasty begins

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The relationship between Anthony Van Der Wielen and Peter Bell is positive though. My two cents is that Freo could not enter the negotiations last year as we had other things on our plate (lobb, Hogan). We were ruled out more on that basis. Rumour mongering began from there. He will be a docker if Brad Hill leaves. Eagles and us will both put in an offer. If we have more cash on the table we will move our first on.
I am not purporting to have inside knowledge on this - this is just my read.

Fremantle defender Dillon O’Reilly is happy to play the waiting game when it comes to making his AFL debut.

The 19-year-old is used to being patient after he was overlooked in last year’s national draft before making it onto an AFL list in May’s mid-season draft.

Dillon OReilly pictured at Fremantle headquarters in Cockburn Central.
Dillon OReilly pictured at Fremantle headquarters in Cockburn Central.Picture: Jackson Flindell
Despite injuries key position players, O’Reilly said he and the Dockers’ coaching staff had the simple goal of getting him through the the back half of the WAFL season for Peel Thunder, while growing his game and body.

“I came to the club, did a mini pre-season to get up to the standard so I could cope with training,” he said.

“Weights, I lift about four times a week to try to get my body a bit bigger and fitter.

“I have been capped every day with the amount of running. So focusing on that at the moment.

“I will just try to stay injury-free and have a good pre-season to hopefully push for selection next year.”

O’Reilly has performed strong for Peel, keeping former St Kilda forward Tom Lee to just two goals in the two-point loss to Claremont a fortnight ago.

“I was told Thursday that I had the job on him,” O’Reilly recalled.

“I was aware he was not much of a runner, but real strong one-on-one.

“I spoke to Alex Pearce and Roger (Hayden) our backs coach about ways I can help myself defend him and run off, getting him up the ground.”

There is no shortage of defensive talent for O’Reilly to learn from at the Dockers, with likes of Joel Hamling, Pearce and Griffin Logue all helping the youngster develop his game.

“After training I was with Joel (Hamling) who was teaching me a few things with the hips and what not. He has been real helpful, him and Griffin (Logue),” he said.

“It will be hard (to earn selection) with big Alex Pearce back as well, Hamling, Griff. They are all strong and bigger than me.

“Hopefully I can learn off them and get a gig next year.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back