Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry Taylor, this was your bit that stumped me "If they have traded their early teen picks for #2 or #3 and Green is bid on at pick #5[/B] then they get pick #2 or 3 AND Green at pick #5." Your saying he is already picked by GWS at 2 and then gets bid on at pick 5 by another club? Thats why I thought it must be a pre secret bid.>>>>edit how is green bid on after the fact?

Sorry Taylor, this was your bit that stumped me "If they have traded their early teen picks for #2 or #3 and Green is bid on at pick #5[/B] then they get pick #2 or 3 AND Green at pick #5." Your saying he is already picked by GWS at 2 and then gets bid on at pick 5 by another club? Thats why I thought it must be a pre secret bid.>>>>edit how is green bid on after the fact?
It means GWS get whoever they select at pick 3 and then if/when the bid comes after (say 5) then GWS can use their later picks (i.e. in the third and fourth rounds) to make up the points required to match the bid. So, essentially, they get whoever they bid on at 3 plus Green who was bid on at 5 (two top 5 picks) for their two first round picks (12 & 14 swapped for pick 3) plus a few later round picks.

It means GWS get whoever they select at pick 3 and then if/when the bid comes after (say 5) then GWS can use their later picks (i.e. in the third and fourth rounds) to make up the points required to match the bid. So, essentially, they get whoever they bid on at 3 plus Green who was bid on at 5 (two top 5 picks) for their two first round picks (12 & 14 swapped for pick 3) plus a few later round picks.

:thumbsu: thanks mate...gee I'm getting fuzzy...am convalescing here, my excuse

Clubs have to guesstimate where a player will be bid on when they plan for the draft.

Scenraio 1 - GWS trade for pick 3
Pick 1 (GC) - Rowel
Pick 2 (GC) - Anderson
Pick 3 (GWS) - Kemp
Pick 4 (GWS)- Adelaide bid on Greene, bid is matched using points from later rounds

Scenario 2 - Leave as is
Pick 1 (GC) - Rowel
Pick 2 (GC) - Anderson
Pick 3 (GWS) - Adelaide bid on Greene, bid is matched using picks 11 and 14

Now, we kind of gloss over the fact that matching a bid for a top 5 player isnt easy with purely lower picks so GWS will likely need to trade in future picks (likely their first) to be able to get him but its still a vastly better scenario for GWS. As I said above, GWS more than any other club values quality over quantity in draft picks due to a number of factors

The point system undervalues moving up the order by about 30%-50% from previous trades. That is, if your aim was to get higher, you would need to add up to 50% more in draft points to get a team to move down. The only time this isnt applicable is if a team wants to get more points by moving down the order. Their is a subtelty here in the motives for trading picks which I actually find quite interesting but that's a different story.

For example, pick 3 is equal on points to 12 and 18 but no one in their right mind is trading 3 for 12 and 18.

Clubs therefore take advantage of the points system in two ways
1) Get above the pick, then trade out a lower pick for even lower picks worth more points
2) Get higher in the draft through a trade no club would normally do by trading with a team that needs points

It should also be noted that the AFL restricted the "split picks for points" method a couple of years ago by saying you could only take the number of draft picks into the draft as you had list spots. Sydney I think payed for Mills with like 5 or 6 picks in the 40+ range This hasnt stopped clubs splitting picks for more points, they've just had to be smarter about it.

Last edited:
Yeah I'd like to know more about Liam Henry. This thread seems to love him and consider it a given that Freo will draft him. Why?
He is fast, smart, a good user of the ball, reasonable size, good hands, creative, professional.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I'd like to know more about Liam Henry. This thread seems to love him and consider it a given that Freo will draft him. Why?
He's number 5 here.

This was in the winner takes all championship game as well...

12. Liam Henry (Fremantle Next-Generation Academy)

Best position:
General forward

Height, weight: 179cm, 67kg

Projected draft range: 10-30

Plays like: Michael Walters

Rationale: One of Western Australia's most influential players through the Under-18 Championships and is one of this year's most exciting forwards. Rises as others drop.

Strengths: Freakish ground ball pickups on the move at speed, forward pressure, kicking out in front of targets to lead onto, vision, pace, composure with ball in hand, skill execution under pressure, moves the ball on quickly, agility, evasion, impact per possession, feels dangerous any time the ball is in his area, leadup marking

Weaknesses: One-on-one strength, one-on-one marking, kicking penetration, unclear capacity to roll through the midfield

He is fast, smart, a good user of the ball, reasonable size, good hands, creative, professional.
In addition he is in our academy, has been training quite a bit with us over the past 18months, is a top 11-18 pick at a discount price.

Walls has been giving himself high fives ever since he was announced in our academy zone.

WHO DOESN’T LIKE A DISCOUNT!!

In addition he is in our academy, has been training quite a bit with us over the past 18months, is a top 11-18 pick at a discount price.

Walls has been giving himself high fives ever since he was announced in our academy zone.

WHO DOESN’T LIKE A DISCOUNT!!

START THE CAR!

12. Liam Henry (Fremantle Next-Generation Academy)

Best position:
General forward

Height, weight: 179cm, 67kg

Projected draft range: 10-30

Plays like: Michael Walters

Rationale: One of Western Australia's most influential players through the Under-18 Championships and is one of this year's most exciting forwards. Rises as others drop.

Strengths: Freakish ground ball pickups on the move at speed, forward pressure, kicking out in front of targets to lead onto, vision, pace, composure with ball in hand, skill execution under pressure, moves the ball on quickly, agility, evasion, impact per possession, feels dangerous any time the ball is in his area, leadup marking

Weaknesses: One-on-one strength, one-on-one marking, kicking penetration, unclear capacity to roll through the midfield

Funny how things come back; Gerard Healey rated Michael Walters an absolute gun after the 2008 Under 18 champs....pick 53. Liam gets sassy in the interviews might do the trick., not that Michael did.

Joel Weston goes alright - lightening fast and playing really well in the Colts finals. He is very small so get him hanging off the monkey bars Brady Bunch style - worked for Michael Jordan.
Have you got to watch him. Some are saying his disposal is horrendous, which doesnt help when you're a midget, no matter how fast you are.

#12 Joel Western

A bottom-age prospect, Western showed why he is such a promising prospect for the 2020 AFL Draft. Against Subiaco, Western accumulated 18 possessions, took three marks, recorded three inside 50s and laid two tackles, from the wing. His speed, agility, vision, decision-making and skill execution were all on display.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back