Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockford

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 22, 2006
Halls Head
AFL Club
Geelong
Drew23 made a comment that restrictions on pick trading was silly, and Unknown Caller agreed to soften the rules after this draft. That is my understanding.

Okay. I missed all that. Either way. I thought the reason for the rules were to drop a team from dumping all future picks in an effort to load up, win a flag and then abandon the team which would then have no picks in the next couple drafts. While I don’t expect anyone would intentionally do that it could leave a manager taking over a team with no draft access for 2 years.

tenderwarrior

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2003
Launceston
AFL Club
Geelong
Okay. I missed all that. Either way. I thought the reason for the rules were to drop a team from dumping all future picks in an effort to load up, win a flag and then abandon the team which would then have no picks in the next couple drafts. While I don’t expect anyone would intentionally do that it could leave a manager taking over a team with no draft access for 2 years.

I agree.

flaps

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2009
Ballarat via Melbourne via Hobart via Albury
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Albury Bandits, Orlando Magic
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-15/captains-call-grand-finalists-brownlow-coleman-rising-star

SO the Captains can't vote for their own team/players -

Who do you think will win the 2019 NAB AFL Rising Star?
11 – Sam Walsh (Carlton)
1 – Jack Lukosius (Gold Coast SUNS), Zak Butters (Port Adelaide), Jye Caldwell (GWS GIANTS), Luke Valente (Fremantle), Bailey Smith (Western Bulldogs), Chase Jones (Adelaide Crows), Matt Walker (Hawthorn)

The others I can all understand as they were high picks or, in the case of Valente; a strong bodied leader who is expected to play ala SPP, but I really want to know which skipper is the Matt Walker fan?!?
He's from the Bushies. So I'd guess the alignment of someone from there influenced it. Maybe Cal Ward? Big reach though, given he was only in the 60s for his pick.

I think that if we end up in a situation like this (not that I expect it to happen) then we will be able to arrange some sort of compensation over the course of a year or 2 to help kick start the team again.

Something like (off the top of my head) "everyone donate a player ranked between 200-300 and the coach gets all of the third round picks the following year" or something that doesn't cripple trading or pillage other teams too much while also giving the new coach a fresh list build.

tenderwarrior

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2003
Launceston
AFL Club
Geelong
Now the off-season is completed!

Warriors (maybe) Best 22
B: Whitfield, J.Lloyd, Z.Williams, J.Howe, J.McGovern, B.Ellis

C: Gaff, Heppell, Ward, Hall, Redden

R: Bellchambers

F: T.Lynch, T.McDonald, Jenkins, T.Lynch, Bruest, Caddy

U: N.Jones, E.Curnow Ebert, Polec

Reserves
B: Rich, S.Hill, Macmillan, Savage, B.Willams, Mayes

C: Tyson, Seedsman, Christensen, H.Greenwood, Thurlow

R: Hickey

F: Daniher, T.Walker, Hoskin-Elliott, Papley, C.Cameron, Narkle

U: Longer, Pierce, Z.Clarke, R.Marshall, (Draper 45th man)

List Changes:
Z.Williams for Watts
J.Howe For Matera
E.Curnow for Ellis-Yolman
Papley for J.Dawson
Pierce for P.Wilson
Z.Clarke for Leuenberger
Draper for Mountford

tenderwarrior

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2003
Launceston
AFL Club
Geelong
I think that if we end up in a situation like this (not that I expect it to happen) then we will be able to arrange some sort of compensation over the course of a year or 2 to help kick start the team again.

Something like (off the top of my head) "everyone donate a player ranked between 200-300 and the coach gets all of the third round picks the following year" or something that doesn't cripple trading or pillage other teams too much while also giving the new coach a fresh list build.
I think if we are concerned about it we don't change the guidelines from what they now.

Sep 11, 2011
Anywhere else
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Miami Heat & Dolphins

I think if that happens, it's unlikely because there's generally only a couple of teams trading all their picks, (cough cough Rockford and TW) but if that were to happen couldn't we just award the new manager some priority picks? I think either we don't change the restrictions or we say that in the off chance it happens to a team that we have a league pow wow with the senior coaches and award a couple of priority picks each year. Where those picks land i have no idea but i think it would have to be one of the other of those options. It's hard enough rebuilding in this league with your picks when you take over an absolutely horrible team, if i took over the squad i had and i had no picks for 2 years it would've been a really crap job. After all this is just for fun and no coach is gonna join if they can't have some fun.

Rockford

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 22, 2006
Halls Head
AFL Club
Geelong
Now the off-season is completed!

Warriors (maybe) Best 22
B: Whitfield, J.Lloyd, Z.Williams, J.Howe, J.McGovern, B.Ellis

C: Gaff, Heppell, Ward, Hall, Redden

R: Bellchambers

F: T.Lynch, T.McDonald, Jenkins, T.Lynch, Bruest, Caddy

U: N.Jones, E.Curnow Ebert, Polec

Reserves
B: Rich, S.Hill, Macmillan, Savage, B.Willams, Mayes

C: Tyson, Seedsman, Christensen, H.Greenwood, Thurlow

R: Hickey

F: Daniher, T.Walker, Hoskin-Elliott, Papley, C.Cameron, Narkle

U: Longer, Pierce, Z.Clarke, R.Marshall, (Draper 45th man)

List Changes:
Z.Williams for Watts
J.Howe For Matera
E.Curnow for Ellis-Yolman
Papley for J.Dawson
Pierce for P.Wilson
Z.Clarke for Leuenberger
Draper for Mountford

That list is scary good. Team to beat again this season.

Daysy_12

Team Captain
Mar 11, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Hawthorn
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-15/captains-call-grand-finalists-brownlow-coleman-rising-star

SO the Captains can't vote for their own team/players -

Who do you think will win the 2019 NAB AFL Rising Star?
11 – Sam Walsh (Carlton)
1 – Jack Lukosius (Gold Coast SUNS), Zak Butters (Port Adelaide), Jye Caldwell (GWS GIANTS), Luke Valente (Fremantle), Bailey Smith (Western Bulldogs), Chase Jones (Adelaide Crows), Matt Walker (Hawthorn)

The others I can all understand as they were high picks or, in the case of Valente; a strong bodied leader who is expected to play ala SPP, but I really want to know which skipper is the Matt Walker fan?!?

I’ll take it! He was in the GWS academy so there’s also perhaps that connection. I think he got a mention at Hawks season launch by one of the coaches as the most likely rookie to get games this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jordie_tackles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
G-town
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
MCFC, COBC, GWFC, TFC
I’ll take it! He was in the GWS academy so there’s also perhaps that connection. I think he got a mention at Hawks season launch by one of the coaches as the most likely rookie to get games this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah having been reading hawks rate him a lot.

Got my 2019 cash league draft all sorted. We use 'Free kick diff' and 'Spoils' to put more value and depth in defenders. We get 20 FA picks through the year, max 2 per week and based on reverse ladder order. Trades between teams but nothing after the bye rounds. Pretty happy all things considered. Drafted from pick 12 in a 12 team league -

B - J.Sicily
B - M.Hurley
B - P.Davis
B - B.Smith
B - D.Thomas

C - S.Coniglio
C - C.Ward
C - J.Steven
C - T. Cotchin
C - D.Sheed
C - A.Tomlinson
C - R.Henderson

R - P.Ryder

F - S.Lycett
F - T.Hawkins
F - T.Greene
F - J.Ziebell
F - Ja.Roughead

Bench -
B - J.Walker
B - J.Smith (Melb)
C - M.Hutchings
C - P.Seedsman
C - J.Harmes
C - M.Gibbons
C/F - S.Lloyd
F - J.Bruce
R - N.Naitanui
R - T. Hickey

(Log in to remove this ad.)

richcogs

Premiership Player
Oct 8, 2004
Wodonga
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
Guys Armitage, Birchall, Deledio, Masten and Myers are all up for trade if anyone is interested in strengthening their squad/back up players for shots at the GF this year or next?

tenderwarrior

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2003
Launceston
AFL Club
Geelong
Warriors Trade table:

- Shane Savage
- Tom Hickey
- Taylor Walker
- Will Hoskin-Elliott

Warriors are looking for pure Centres. Happy to trade 2 of the above for 1 in return. I am not really keen on trading for picks only at this stage.

azza77

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 21, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings, Manchester Utd
Did we ever get an updated list on who holds what picks for the upcoming draft at all? Or not been released yet?

Sep 11, 2011
Anywhere else
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Miami Heat & Dolphins
Jayden Hunt up for trade if a contender is seeking some scoring from def! He's been great since moving up forward, whether he retains def status next year remains to be seen which is why i'm putting him on the table now while he has that extra value from being a goal scoring defender...Also looking to clear a list spot so would be seeking a pick or an upgrade on my 3rd or 4th though i'd also consider a good prospect...About half my team is on the block still too in the right offer.

Last edited:

azza77

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 21, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings, Manchester Utd
azza77, it seems you have never selected your team since the teams were announced for round 1. Am I mistaken? I am surprised nobody has noticed...

I had made a handful of changes, but the last 2 weeks I've been extremely bad at checking this. Apologies we have had a senior manager go down "indefinitely" on sick leave, and guess who was asked to pick up his slack and monitor his emails etc, while do my normal stuff......

Also had more fam come stay woth me over easter and then went home for a bit, so I've been all over the shop lately. Just logged in and checked earlier this morning actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back