Mature Age 2019 Mature Aged Prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Says a lot about how the state leagues have been depleted recently that most of the top guys were ex-AFL players.

Based on the above guys post asking about that batch of players?

Is it necessarily a bad thing either? I mean lots of kids / young men enter and exit the AFL system by the age of 21/22, there is still clear value for them in going back to the state leagues and working on their game as we have seen a few success stories in recent times of guys coming back mature and ready to handle the professional demands. To me that is a healthy sign.

Mitch Hibberd:
Significant improver since last year, dominant against his former side on the weekend.

Mitch Hibberd has almost completely transformed himself as a player, was in shock he didn't get the call up in the mid season.

Still has the ability to run but now has the size to compete on the inside and is a very good height. Can go forward and back. He's probably the most draftable talent I've seen while watching the VFL.

I still think Younan could offer a bit.

Any WAFL watchers thoughts on Dec Mountford? only going off stats but he looks to be having a solid year. His ability to play multiple roles would be appealing to most AFL clubs.

Would Mitch Hibberd be leading the Liston? Finally playing in his correct position (inside mid) and has been dominating. Not many guys his size can cover the ground like him. Avergaing 24.5 disposals and 7 tackles per game.

Dom Brew would be another that I could see making the step up to AFL, much like Tom Atkins he is a pitbull, hard at the contest and moves well.

I haven't really heard if there is any real stand out half backs at VFL/SANFL or WAFL this year...Would be nice if there is another Luke Ryan or Tom Stewart out there in the state leagues!

Any WAFL watchers thoughts on Dec Mountford? only going off stats but he looks to be having a solid year. His ability to play multiple roles would be appealing to most AFL clubs.

Would Mitch Hibberd be leading the Liston? Finally playing in his correct position (inside mid) and has been dominating. Not many guys his size can cover the ground like him. Avergaing 24.5 disposals and 7 tackles per game.

Dom Brew would be another that I could see making the step up to AFL, much like Tom Atkins he is a pitbull, hard at the contest and moves well.

I haven't really heard if there is any real stand out half backs at VFL/SANFL or WAFL this year...Would be nice if there is another Luke Ryan or Tom Stewart out there in the state leagues!
Hibberd would be up there but the current favourites are Alex Woodward (Collingwood) and Shannen Lange (Port).

How is Gerloff going Harlequin Dream?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He had a bit of a lean month after his hot streak. Very nice game on the weekend though. Kicked a nice goal and set-up 4 others from my viewing of the highlights.

Matthew Nunn is the one that has reached must draft status in my eyes though. He is one that has AFL quality pace and skills. His goal from the centre bounce on the weekend was exceptional:

Based on the above guys post asking about that batch of players?

Is it necessarily a bad thing either? I mean lots of kids / young men enter and exit the AFL system by the age of 21/22, there is still clear value for them in going back to the state leagues and working on their game as we have seen a few success stories in recent times of guys coming back mature and ready to handle the professional demands. To me that is a healthy sign.
It's not, but I also think it's a sign that there's no Kelly or Stewart-esque player coming through. Though Menegola for example would count as that kind of player and he's been great for Geelong since they drafted him.

It's not just based on that batch of players though - the stats seem to be full of older ex-AFL players who are failed types. Though one guy who I thought had something to work with stood out on the leading WAFL disposal winners - Jackson Ramsay.

Just trawling through some footage and numbers of some state leagues, just a few guys I'd love to get to know more about;

WAFL

Ryan Borchett - 22 y.o. 188cm forward (Subiaco)
Jeremy Goddard - 21 y.o, 202cm ruck (claremont)
Ajang Ajang - 22 y.o , 198cm ruck (east perth)
Luke Strnadica (21 y.o, 203cm, ruck South Fremantle)

SANFL

Sam Colquhoun, 24 y.o, 180cm, mid (Sturt)
Luke Partington (22 y.o, 181cm, mid (glenelg)
Luke Reynolds 24 y.o, 187cm, fwd (glenelg)
James Rowe 19 y.o, 173cm, fwd (Woodville West Torrens)
Jack Hayes 23 y.o, 194cm, fwd (woodville west torrens)

NEAFL
Matthew Hammelman - 23 y.o, 198cm, fwd (Redland)
Jono Freeman - 25 y.o, 198cm, FWD (Aspley)
Ben Rioli - 25 y.o, 173cm, def (NT Thunder)

A few guys in the VFL but i'll keep them close to my chest unless they do get mentioned.

Strnadica is playing for East Freo and was a freo rookie till being cut at the end of last year. IMO if you are looking for a ruck who can also play as a tall forward he is worth a shot assuming character refs check out. Very good chest or overhead mark and very good kick (lead goal kicking for Peel last year) and good tap ruckman. Weaknesses is that he is a little one paced and maybe dedication? (I don't know but there must have been an unseen reason we dropped him over Meek and Jones).

It's not, but I also think it's a sign that there's no Kelly or Stewart-esque player coming through. Though Menegola for example would count as that kind of player and he's been great for Geelong since they drafted him.

It's not just based on that batch of players though - the stats seem to be full of older ex-AFL players who are failed types. Though one guy who I thought had something to work with stood out on the leading WAFL disposal winners - Jackson Ramsay.

I disagree. Hibberd is 100% a Kelly or Stewart-esque prospect. He's a tall midfielder, and he's put on some substantial size and is consistently playing consistently top level footy for Williamstown. Great mark, fantastic endurance base and has improved every weakness he had at the top level.

North wasted him on the HBF.

Just because a player has been tried at AFL level doesn't mean they're done forever.

(I don't know but there must have been an unseen reason we dropped him over Meek and Jones).
That probably had more to do with their respective contracts situation than anything else. Meek/Jones were still contracted for 2019 (and on the primary list), Strandica was on the rookie list.

Just trawling through some footage and numbers of some state leagues, just a few guys I'd love to get to know more about;

WAFL

Ryan Borchett - 22 y.o. 188cm forward (Subiaco)
Jeremy Goddard - 21 y.o, 202cm ruck (claremont)
Ajang Ajang - 22 y.o , 198cm ruck (east perth)
Luke Strnadica (21 y.o, 203cm, ruck South Fremantle)

SANFL

Sam Colquhoun, 24 y.o, 180cm, mid (Sturt)
Luke Partington (22 y.o, 181cm, mid (glenelg)
Luke Reynolds 24 y.o, 187cm, fwd (glenelg)
James Rowe 19 y.o, 173cm, fwd (Woodville West Torrens)
Jack Hayes 23 y.o, 194cm, fwd (woodville west torrens)

NEAFL
Matthew Hammelman - 23 y.o, 198cm, fwd (Redland)
Jono Freeman - 25 y.o, 198cm, FWD (Aspley)
Ben Rioli - 25 y.o, 173cm, def (NT Thunder)

A few guys in the VFL but i'll keep them close to my chest unless they do get mentioned.

I'm interested in your thoughts on the VFL players if you are happy to share them?

If I had to pick one player from each side to get drafted it would be as follows:

Richmond: Tom Silvestro. Quick half back with good skills. Kinda hard to pick one from Richmond, no real standouts just many very good VFL players.

Essendon: Nino Lazzaro. Basically a 190 cm utility who can run all day and is a fantastic kick. Hope he ends up at Essendon AFL honestly.

Williamstown: Mitchell Hibberd. Clearance machine who would not look out of place at an AFL club.

Footscray: Reuben William. Runs all day, better version of Tom Jok from last year.

Geelong: James Tsitas. I say it every year but goddamn it this guy is ultra consistent in the VFL.

Port Melbourne: Eli Templeton. Just been excellent off half back this season, probably the most skillful player in the VFL.

Werribee: Jake Riccardi. Young key forward who kicks goals. Obvious.

Box Hill: Brayden Kilpatrick. I know I was on Meadows earlier but he's gone off the boil recently, whereas Kilpatrick has been very good.

Casey: Cory Stockdale. Just seems like a guy who does everything to an above average level.

Preston: Frank Anderson. Like Tsitas he's very consistent as an inside midfielder.

Collingwood: Callan Wellings. Built on last year's form despite the team's lack of form.

Sandringham: Jack Mayo. I've given up on the Kade Answerth dream so here's my new candidate.

North Melbourne: Nash Holmes. A bit small but finds the ball inside every game.

Coburg: Mitch Podhajski. Some will say Lowson, some Dickson, but I feel like the fact he has good hands inside and can rotate forward to kick goals is better than the other two.

Frankston: Corey Rich. Down on goals this year butstill the best prospect down in the worst team in the comp.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eli Templeton and luke Reynolds best two from the state league Imo..

If you are honest none of the state league players taken in the mid year draft have done much.. might scare clubs

Feel that list you put up is safe eth-dog

Just a few names I like the look of;

Campbell Hustwakte - 19 year old inside mid putting up good numbers.

Callan Wellings - backing up last years break out VFL year.

Jesse Palmer - continues to kick goals.

Alex Woodward puts up phenomenal numbers at VFL level.

Marcus Lentini - despite the impact per possession factor continues to get plenty of the ball.

Jake Ricardi - is doing awesome for a 22 year old KPF.

Riley Bowman - continues to go from strength to strength as a leading tuck at the top end VFL Bombers.

Bior Malual - has licked plenty of goals for Werribee this year.

Key Declese - a bit of a favourite of mine. Aggressive KPF also from Werribee

Just a few from the VFL I like

Eli Templeton and luke Reynolds best two from the state league Imo..

If you are honest none of the state league players taken in the mid year draft have done much.. might scare clubs

I like Reynolds. Always wondered why he was let go by the Blues after one year

Feel that list you put up is safe eth-dog

Just a few names I like the look of;

Campbell Hustwakte - 19 year old inside mid putting up good numbers.

Callan Wellings - backing up last years break out VFL year.

Jesse Palmer - continues to kick goals.

Alex Woodward puts up phenomenal numbers at VFL level.

Marcus Lentini - despite the impact per possession factor continues to get plenty of the ball.

Jake Ricardi - is doing awesome for a 22 year old KPF.

Riley Bowman - continues to go from strength to strength as a leading tuck at the top end VFL Bombers.

Bior Malual - has licked plenty of goals for Werribee this year.

Key Declese - a bit of a favourite of mine. Aggressive KPF also from Werribee

Just a few from the VFL I like

I don't really rate Declase or Malual. Riccardi is only 20 ;)

Reynolds does go missing a lot, his best is pretty good but never quite know what you are going to get from him.

Partington, Gerloff and Nunn standout for me atm in the SANFL

I disagree. Hibberd is 100% a Kelly or Stewart-esque prospect. He's a tall midfielder, and he's put on some substantial size and is consistently playing consistently top level footy for Williamstown. Great mark, fantastic endurance base and has improved every weakness he had at the top level.

North wasted him on the HBF.

Just because a player has been tried at AFL level doesn't mean they're done forever.

I'll keep on this, but I would be surprised to see Hibberd remain off a footy list in 2020.

Has rarely left the best all year since being put in the middle.

Reynolds does go missing a lot, his best is pretty good but never quite know what you are going to get from him.

Partington, Gerloff and Nunn standout for me atm in the SANFL
Your thoughts on James Rowe from WWT? Someone on the Essendon board was asking about small forwards and his numbers caught my eye.

Who do we think is the leading contender for the Fothergill - Round - Mitchell medal as the best under 23 player in the VFL this year?

Jake Ricardi as a 20 year old key position forward has kicked 34 goals from his 16 games has probably over taken Sam Lowson who has been ordinary (2 games) since returning to VFL action.

Who do we think is the leading contender for the Fothergill - Round - Mitchell medal as the best under 23 player in the VFL this year?

Jake Ricardi as a 20 year old key position forward has kicked 34 goals from his 16 games has probably over taken Sam Lowson who has been ordinary (2 games) since returning to VFL action.
Riccardi is a monty, surely? The fact he's kicking more goals than players like Peter McEvoy and Nick Rodda despite their experience and state league excellence over a period of time speaks volumes.

Yea he's decent as a small forward, great goal sense and still improving. I'd take him over Lachie Murphy from the crows for example, much more dangerous
Size seems to be the main issue from what I can gather. What's his pressure/tank like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back