2019 Members Convention

Remove this Banner Ad

Gold Coast is likely going to offer both Lukosius and Rankine an extension this year if they havent already. If we dont hear one of them signing then we know they are keeping their options of returning home open.

Contracts mean nothing these days. They could sign 5 year contracts then change their minds the next month and request a trade to Port.

I feel so much better having attended this and been bombarded with thiny veiled attempts to temper the response to the dual captains garbage.

******* Port, absolute Crow like behaviour.

Listening to SportsdaySA tonight, sounds like the club did a mini version of the members convention for the Adelaide media today.

Wildy went and Blight didn't go. Said Tredders was there and rattled off a few other names but i have forgotten. Sounds like the club did a wonderful spin job on the media as Wildy says he is now more bullish about Port making the 8.

Ken didn't talk apparently but other coaches did. Explained how 15 guys are fighting for the 6 back line spots. Went thru Hammer's rehab and a few other things. Will be interesting to see what the reports are tonight and tomorrow.

Explained how 15 guys are fighting for the 6 back line spots.
KPD: Jonas, Howard,
3rd Tall: Clurey, Lienert, Burton
HBF: Hammer, Broady, Houston, Bonner
Small: DBJ, Garner

That's 11. My selection in bold. Clurey/Lienert & Bonner/DBJ neck and neck.

Not competing:
McKenzie, Frederick, Grundy

That's 14. Maybe Trengove or Hewett is 15?

I hope they can resist the temptations presented by picking eleventy defenders.

Forgot to mention.

In our goody bag this year we got another protein shaker and a cheap as s**t RAA stubby holder. The rest was copious amounts of advertising and 'deals' which weren't great value from sponsors.

Last year we got just the protein shaker. I've got like 50 of the things now. I should probably stop accepting them.

Forgot to mention.

In our goody bag this year we got another protein shaker and a cheap as s**t RAA stubby holder. The rest was copious amounts of advertising and 'deals' which weren't great value from sponsors.

Last year we got just the protein shaker. I've got like 50 of the things now. I should probably stop accepting them.

I'm pretty sure if you get to 100 you can trade them for tickets to a inner sanctum seminar on edging and it's benefits.

... seeing our head coach being taken away from game day atrategy as a positive is nuts! If he can’t do it he shouldn’t be head coach.
I've been saying this for some time but there has always been those arguing "Ken just needs better assistants". :think:

I would need to be convinced that Ken is a typical head coach. He looks more and more like a "Chief Football Officer" to me. Davies is allegedly our Head-of-Football, but he seems to work UNDER Hinkley; and Ken seems to respond directly to KT.

From today's Sunday Mail;

"... Thomas spoke at the Entertainment Centre on Saturday morning as around 600 members had paid to be part of the club’s second annual member convention ..."

:rolleyes:
I estimated based on the number of chairs and accounting for a few empty ones.
YES, BUT YOU WERE WRONG!!!
There were 750 members at last year's convention and my understanding is that it was increased to a max of 1000 for this year.

I would have said about 800 - 900 based on a rough count of empty seats.

The Sunday Mail is saying that the auditorium was just over half full which is absolute cow's poo, hence the roll eyes.
The auditorium was about half full. Behind the curtain was the rest of the space which was alot.

The space we used was completely full though.

There was 50 seats per row and 18 rows. So accounting for empty seats you are probably around the mark at 800-900.

The actual quote says that "around 600 members HAD PAID". If there were more than 600 people, the difference would be those that went for free (considering negligible the ammount of people that paid and didn't go).

Listening to SportsdaySA tonight, sounds like the club did a mini version of the members convention for the Adelaide media today.

Wildy went and Blight didn't go. Said Tredders was there and rattled off a few other names but i have forgotten. Sounds like the club did a wonderful spin job on the media as Wildy says he is now more bullish about Port making the 8.

Ken didn't talk apparently but other coaches did. Explained how 15 guys are fighting for the 6 back line spots. Went thru Hammer's rehab and a few other things. Will be interesting to see what the reports are tonight and tomorrow.
And we are apparently 20 percent fitter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, I think Monty and Thommo gave us the most insight, but the others, even though their talks were fairly high-level, still came across as though they have good plans which they are smart enough to get across to their lines, unlike, say, Lade from last year.

I agree with Macca about Bassett being a bit too smug, especially after Monty made it clear that the defence needs improvements (which he diplomatically called tweaks) and it was shown that we were 18th and 17th in markers that came under Bassett’s responsibility. You do get the feeling that he’s got a great football brain though, so hopefully the message is a bit simpler and easier to get across to the forwards, although hopefully not as simple as: “bE mORE liKe JOsH JeNKinS” (it’s not).

Another thing I was glad they picked up was that we rushed kicks to nowhere out of stoppages a massive 71% of the time - topping the league. Looking forward to seeing better decision making this season.

They really do see everything, which is encouraging (even every training session is videoed from above). They just need to get the message implemented on game day.

Voss was great btw. I do think he and Kenny are more suited to overseeing roles. I’m pretty comfortable about the coaching set up this season, provided the head coach can keep the message from the lines consistent. You do get the feeling (gut feel only) that Schofield’s our head coach in waiting.

I also agree on KT. He was one that needed to get into details and really let us know what’s happening commercially. You get the feeling that he’s the most constrained in what he can actually say, but he must have been able to do more. He’s a fantastic speaker in terms of delivery and you can see he works farken hard for the club and is very passionate about it though. He’s a good one, and we all get the message that the landscape’s changing, but I think he needed some better content to end off on a high-note.
Thanks for that excellent summary. I'm really glad they are aware of those stats and mentioned them. They align with what we are seeing on game day (sometimes I think stats misrepresent things). It gives me some hope for the future.

Schofields speech wasn't just a simple as playery what's in frontery.

It was about being able to play what's in front of you because your team mates are in the right positions for link up play so that you can play in instinct and you have options to do so.

Last year we didn't have options and link up play was rare because we commited so many guys to the ball or defence and they were too deep to assist in rebound.

Thought it was pretty reasonable but I am concerned they are over rating our onballers. I think they are still commuting numbers to the contest to win it, but now we are keeping more players rightfully on the outside to receive. Obviously aimed at reducing the quick boots from stoppage.

Bassets speech gave very very little about how our forwards are to improve. Other than getting more goals over the back.

Frightfully similar to Lade's "triple threat" basketball bullshit.
Some of this stuff though is just commonsense. Maybe that will prevail now.

It’s concerning that the overarching messaging is one of arsecovering and deflating expectations - to the point where the honchos are signalling that it’s the fans’ issue for delusionally expecting a flag every year like the halcyon Maggies days, or loading up Rooch to peddle tripe about how we don’t appreciate how far the club has come since Matthew Primus drove the Fist Float off the Birkenhead Bridge, etc.

It’s been heartening to hear Thomas and Hinkley both mention and acknowledge last season’s derailment, but only in so much as “the last 6 months”.

Let’s face it, it’s been the last 12 years.
That was my major concern at the AGM. They were trying to limit the damage to just the last half of 2018 which is BS. 2 people pointed out the problems have been there for the last 4 years.

I always find posts about association football so relevant to Aussie Rules.

I'm actually surprised so many people don't seem to realise footy teams move very similarly to Prem teams now, it's like the concept is foreign to some of us despite every AFL team operating completely differently to how they did 10-15 years ago. We literally use all the same terms in attack and defense as they do in soccer. As soon as someone reads a soccer teams name they fall into 70s dinosaur mode!

Another thing I was glad they picked up was that we rushed kicks to nowhere out of stoppages a massive 71% of the time - topping the league. Looking forward to seeing better decision making this season.
Apologies if ^ has been done to death i've only just checked back in on this thread.
What a damning indictment on our coaches and KH in particular.
We extend his contract late '17 and in 2018 this is what's served up for us to swallow. Unfarken believable.
Sure we saw it but to see the hard stat of 71% is shocking. Topping the league no less :mad:
It's all well n good to say it's great that the coaches are aware of it what i'm aware of is our star performers
are another year older, Ken another 3yrs richer and more secure while the club bleeds supporters whose morale and commitment
is sorely tested.

IF we bounce back this year thru' recruits and or a better game plan then i'm all for giving Ken an OBE
Other Blokes Efforts

I'm actually surprised so many people don't seem to realise footy teams move very similarly to Prem teams now, it's like the concept is foreign to some of us despite every AFL team operating completely differently to how they did 10-15 years ago. We literally use all the same terms in attack and defense as they do in soccer. As soon as someone reads a soccer teams name they fall into 70s dinosaur mode!
lol

Oh we’re discusssing AFL alright.

My dear friend Janus is trying to convince me that if we play footy like Liverpool play soccer we will win.

Personally I think if we swim like Ian Thorpe and serve like Raonic I reckon we've got a good chance.

I'd look into some strategy from Ronnie O'Sullivan too and how we can score a perfect snooker.

Apologies if ^ has been done to death i've only just checked back in on this thread.
What a damning indictment on our coaches and KH in particular.
We extend his contract late '17 and in 2018 this is what's served up for us to swallow. Unfarken believable.
Sure we saw it but to see the hard stat of 71% is shocking. Topping the league no less :mad:
It's all well n good to say it's great that the coaches are aware of it what i'm aware of is our star performers
are another year older, Ken another 3yrs richer and more secure while the club bleeds supporters whose morale and commitment
is sorely tested.

IF we bounce back this year thru' recruits and or a better game plan then i'm all for giving Ken an OBE
Other Blokes Efforts
Agree the stat is shocking but at least it's publicly out there now. There is no hiding from how bad it is. Just another brick on the wall.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back