Resource 2019 Membership Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

THOUSANDS of Geelong members are set to be stung by a price hike for the 2019 AFL season following a club review into the cost of seating.

Social club members and reserved seat ticket holders will foot the brunt of the new increases, which the Cats say have been introduced to bring them into line with opposition clubs’ pricing models.

On average, roughly 8000 members will be pay an extra $8 to attend a Geelong home game at GMHBA Stadium, which will garner the club close to an additional $300,000 per season.

Geelong issued a letter to its members on Thursday explaining that it had conducted a review into GMHBA Stadium reserved seating packages and prices to learn about how they compared with stadiums across the competition, as well as looking at equivalent social club membership products offered by rival clubs.

Did anyone receive a letter/email from the club about the review, advice on the price hike etc?

A lot of unhappy people on social media with the price increase - be interesting to see what impact it does have on member numbers for 2019

https://outline.com/ce8wKp

Yes, $10 extra per game for my 'premium' wing seat in the Brownlow stand..

Brings my 11 game membership cost to around $690 I think.

Joke.

Their justification was that its still cheaper than other clubs, and it’s to cover the shortfall from pulling out of pokies.

Would have been better to keep the pokies than screw the members for more cash.

I'm sure if there is a drop in membership numbers next year the fans will be attacked for being too cheap.:rolleyes:

Tickets to KP games as a non-member are much more expensive than Marvel Stadium & MCG. Not sure how the interstate stadiums compare.

Their justification was that its still cheaper than other clubs, and it’s to cover the shortfall from pulling out of pokies.

I noticed the comparison to Marvel stadium with reference to the new cost of my premium wing seats..

When they put a roof on our stadium and padding on the seats with a pull-out TV attached they can make that comparison.

Yeah I saw that article then found the email .. Not overly thrilled, currently looking and trying to find what my membership cost this year as if the normal costs have gone up as well I am not sure I will even bother.
Putting the prices up just because everyone else pays more isn't a great reasoning to keep us all happy...

Fwiw mine and my sons seat are going to cost an extra 70 bucks next year... Not including the yearly increase in the standard membership price...

For some it may not seem much but with young kids and 1.5 wages it's a big hit.
I had to on sell my seat a few times this year as work was clashing with games and I was looking forward to getting the benefit from that next year.. Now it looks as though all it will do is keep my costs the same :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not affected, but I was going to downgrade my membership anyway. This is in response to what I believe is a lack of value, both on and off field.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, is that the club treat their loyal members, those who sign up each year without fail, as a cash cow, milking them for all they can, without providing much in return. They'll argue that those who may be struggling with finances can always sign up to the direct debit option to split the payments over the year, but that isn't the point. The point is that once again the fans get taken for granted, and there will be many happy to give up it up, as they can't justify the cost, especially with the disappointing on-field product displayed for parts of the season, in particular in September.

I can't believe how much of a disconnect there is between the club and the fans right now.

A few supporters have made comments about the value they are getting from their membership. I would make a few points:
1. For the Cats to remain competitive on the field, they need to be competitive from a financial point of view.
2. If Geelong supporters are not prepared to fork out additional funds for the club, then who is? It is our club, we are the members, we are the ones that need to support it financially.
3. Suggesting that they should be raising money from pokies is going to put a lot of people offside (including me). The damage that gambling does to families in this Country is immense and they should steer clear of it.
4. To suggest that we have not received value from an on-field perspective is unfair. They have been one of the most successful and exciting teams to watch over the last 30 years (and I do not measure that just on premierships).

I understand that for some people the price increases will make it difficult (and that is not great), however, for the rest of us, if we want to continue to be a competitive club with our own ground, then we will need to provide more financial support.

I'm confused. Is Freo's membership more expensive or less expensive than a comparable seat at Geelong?
I dunno!! Think he was saying the Freo membership is 300$ more than what CF79 was saying.
I was saying you can get 10 games on level 2 at Marvel in a dogs membership for 300$ less than what CF79 was quoting.

Sorry to intrude, but if my club ditched it's pokies and raised memberships by $100, I'd happily pay.
I think what the Cats have done is admirable and I hope it's emulated by others.
Fair enough. Unfortunately we haven't ditched pokies though, we still own a large venue in the west.
Just out of curiosity what do you pay for your membership and seat if you have either?

Sorry to intrude, but if my club ditched it's pokies and raised memberships by $100, I'd happily pay.
I think what the Cats have done is admirable and I hope it's emulated by others.

Wont be by hawks as they need the money to move to Dingley.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Remove this Banner Ad

Back