Resource 2019 Membership Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

My memory is at best hazy but I thought I selected the roll over option, was never enforced on to it.

My credit card actually expired this year and I deliberately didn't update my account because of general disillusionment but my protest only lasted about 2 months and I'm back in baby!

I predict low membership numbers and rightly so this year... The club has made its bed and will now reap those decisions. The Ablett factor will have worn off, we renewed a coach who a large % of the supporters dislike and our form is no better than the previous years. This year has a very MEH feeling to it - we have been slowly sliding back into irrelevance after our golden age one year at a time.

I predict low membership numbers and rightly so this year... The club has made its bed and will now reap those decisions. The Ablett factor will have worn off, we renewed a coach who a large % of the supporters dislike and our form is no better than the previous years. This year has a very MEH feeling to it - we have been slowly sliding back into irrelevance after our golden age one year at a time.
You could be right, but I will be renewing as I have for the past 30 years.

I tend to agree. Not sure how on earth we scraped to over 60,000 but I'd be thinking we'd be looking at 50,000 this year. Not a lot of incentive to join, the heavy media coverage of the seat price rises hasn't helped either

I have cancelled mine and my wifes too. 1st baby due soon so will not make it to any games and i work 6-7 days a week. Not worth holding onto the AFL membership either. Gold wait lists are a farce now. Cheaper to just buy a one off $1500 GF ticket by the next time we make it in a couple of decades. Reason given to club: Poor on field performances in finals. I will still get kayosports and watch every single game, twice if we win.

You could be right, but I will be renewing as I have for the past 30 years.

Same.

I will but im not overly enthusiastic about it. I'll always love Geelong, but srsly this game of AFL atm is just a load of rubbish. With pretty sub standard skill level. Honestly i dunno how they can be paid so much for the crap they sometimes dish out week to week (not having a go at Geelong specifically but in general).

I have cancelled mine and my wifes too. 1st baby due soon so will not make it to any games and i work 6-7 days a week. Not worth holding onto the AFL membership either. Gold wait lists are a farce now. Cheaper to just buy a one off $1500 GF ticket by the next time we make it in a couple of decades. Reason given to club: Poor on field performances in finals. I will still get kayosports and watch every single game, twice if we win.

Good luck with your impending arrival!

Last edited:
Think the club is too, which is why we've seen the increase in membership/seat prices.
Trying to make up for the lack of numbers with higher prices.

My membership is fairly much a donation as I use my MCC membership for Melbourne games and rarely head down the highway these days.

It's just my view it's better to be a supporter than just a barracker if you can afford it. Lots don't agree..

I'm the same AM, have a full membership, yet I live in NSW lol It's a way for me to support the Club + friends can use my membership to buy an extra ticket.

Does the club have a "supporter" membership - I have one with Victory & I know the Storm offer them also. They are designed for people who aren't able to attend matches but still want to show their support for the club & it also allows you to maintain consecutive years of membership.

With my Victory membership I receive me membership card, lanyard, fixture, stickers & scarf every year - the base other members receive. So if I can get to a game I can wear my lanyard around my neck & feel part of things.

Maybe that's something Geelong could look at as an option going forward, especially good for those who may be going through a change of circumstances or don't want the digital membership etc.

I used to buy an Interstate membership, which gave you three games, but often other games if they weren't fully sold, usually to lower ladder teams. The great thing was you received terrific goodies! But only a scarf for a full membership lol

I don't remember receiving the following notification in previous years - at least it means something to put under the Christmas Tree

Hi Michelle,
We have some exciting news for you!

Your Membership has been lodged for delivery with Australia Post.
If there are other Members in your family and/or household, you may receive your packs on different days.
GO CATS!
Membership Services Team

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember when having a membership was a about supporting the club and going to the footy.

I remember when having a membership was a about supporting the club and going to the footy.
I remember when the club put members first and didn't treat them as ATMs. Not everyone lives in Melbourne/Geelong to attend games either. The club needs a wake up call - they waited too long to implement strategic changes that were required years ago and now we are behind the 8 ball. They have sensed some angst amongst supporters and implemented a half assed a strategy that is suppose to address the concerns/reality of where we are this offseason. Too little too late IMO. Lets see... They don't have the Ablett Junior ticket to throw at us this time. What exactly is there to get excited about this season? Our youngsters all went backwards last season and we failed to recruit a game changer. The team also went backwards and Scott still didn't manage to change his outdated game plan.

I remember when the club put members first and didn't treat them as ATMs. Not everyone lives in Melbourne/Geelong to attend games either. The club needs a wake up call - they waited too long to implement strategic changes that were required years ago and now we are behind the 8 ball. They have sensed some angst amongst supporters and implemented a half assed a strategy that is suppose to address the concerns/reality of where we are this offseason. Too little too late IMO. Lets see... They don't have the Ablett Junior ticket to throw at us this time. What exactly is there to get excited about this season? Our youngsters all went backwards last season and we failed to recruit a game changer. The team also went backwards and Scott still didn't manage to change his outdated game plan.
You're clearly not getting anything worthwhile out of the club.

You're clearly not getting anything worthwhile out of the club.
There is a small part of me that hopes I am wrong and the club has made the right decisions for our success (so far not true). I don't like being right about our failures but it would be dishonest of me to pretend I hold a different opinion when it does not match my views. I enjoy it when we win and hate it when we lose - my support is not contingent on giving more money to the club so they can continue down a path I strongly disagree with.

There is a small part of me that hopes I am wrong and the club has made the right decisions for our success (so far not true). I don't like being right about our failures but it would be dishonest of me to pretend I hold a different opinion when it does not match my views. I enjoy it when we win and hate it when we lose - my support is not contingent on giving more money to the club so they can continue down a path I strongly disagree with.
You’re not alone friend. There are many with the same mindset as you.
Don’t recall a coach ever being this polarising ....not even Ayres

That's understandable. It's frustrating. But only one club can win a premiership in a year.
I was a member all through the 70s, and we were mostly crap.
Also, all I got was for my membership money back then was a paper card that was clipped on the side when I entered the gate.
No cap, no scarf, no sticker.
I'm never happy when we crash out in finals etc, but if people stop supporting their club in the bad times they will have no club to support.

You’re not alone friend. There are many with the same mindset as you.
Don’t recall a coach ever being this polarising ....not even Ayres
We've had much worse coaches in the past. Ayres wasn't even one of them.
Coaches come and go. The club has been around since 1859. We simply are not going to win a premiership every year, no matter who is coaching.

Last edited:
That's understandable. It's frustrating. But only one club can win a premiership in a year.
I was a member all through the 70s, and we were mostly crap.
Also, all I got was for my membership money back then was a paper card that was clipped on the side when I entered the gate.
No cap, no scarf, no sticker.
I'm never happy when we crash out in finals etc, but if people stop supporting their club in the bad times they will have no club to support.

Yep. And half will miss completely and one will always finish last.

I feel v sorry for the bottom team.. its like someone has to be there doent they.

Apparently, the club has reached 45k memberships;
SLOGAN: Stand Proud in 2019

2018 TALLY: 63,818

CURRENT TALLY: 45,103

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Remove this Banner Ad

Back