Resource 2019 Membership Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

We haven't got rid of pokies though. Point Cook venue has the fastest growing pokies revenue in the whole area. Should do quite well from pokie money this year compared to previous years.
The atmosphere at KP has always been dull, as much as people like to say it was rowdier back in the day.
Unless Gaz snr did something it was quiet as and old ladies used to tell you to sit down and stop yelling.
I agree on the members thing though.
The time has come quicker than they expected where they have to treat members better or get left behind.

I reckon the atmosphere is crap because we play low attendance interstate teams, who we usually smack. If we got the hawks, bombers etc at kp and they were close games the atmosphere would go through the roof.

I reckon the atmosphere is crap because we play low attendance interstate teams, who we usually smack. If we got the hawks, bombers etc at kp and they were close games the atmosphere would go through the roof.
I don't think so. We've done it before.
Been to plenty of games there vs Hawks Carlton, even Pies and Bombers once.
We've had the interstate era of Brissy and Port smacking us there too.
Everyone feels a little too self conscious down at kp IMO. It's the way it's always been.

I don't think so. We've done it before.
Been to plenty of games there vs Hawks Carlton, even Pies and Bombers once.
We've had the interstate era of Brissy and Port smacking us there too.
Everyone feels a little too self conscious down at kp IMO. It's the way it's always been.
most of our supporters are either old or jumped on after our success and spend most of their time abusing the players rather than being invested in the game. It's quite like some of the entitled on here.

most of our supporters are either old or jumped on after our success and spend most of their time abusing the players rather than being invested in the game. It's quite like some of the entitled on here.
The 90's were the same though. So many oldies, and abusing our own players was worse than it is now.

I think all teams supporters abuse their own players to an extent (especially if they've cost the team a goal or are playing horrendously), it's the lack of noise after a goal that is disappointing, even getting stuck into opposition players is non-existent. It would be really cool if we still got stuck into Ballantyne - yes it was six years ago but we don't forget the rivalry we had with them

Club needs to get some word out and really flog off memberships and single game tickets to build crowds and create an atmosphere. Even better, reward game attendees and make us feel united. There's too much disconnect and people aren't getting enough enjoyment out of going to games

Give everyone a free Cats Cotton On T-Shirt (left on their seat) and encourage the crowd to wear them. Turn the stands solid blue and white. Or leave a flag on every seat (put a Ford logo or something on it) and encourage the crowd to use it. It would look amazing and really get everyone up and about. And it adds value for money - promote before the game that it's free T-Shirt day and everyone will be keen.

My best memory to back that up was Saints 2004- The battle of the new up and comers. Chappy was indignant back then that Saints were more highly touted than us. Super game with a loud vibrant finals like atmosphere- best home game I've been to at Geelong since 1963.

And we won.

My best memory to back that up was Saints 2004- The battle of the new up and comers. Chappy was indignant back then that Saints were more highly touted than us. Super game with a loud vibrant finals like atmosphere- best home game I've been to at Geelong since 1963.

And we won.

Was that the game Scarlett kicked a goal and had to jog the length of the ground back to full back??

Was amazing, i agree, best KP game. That and the Melbourne thrashing.

I prefer the atmosphere at KP... people are bad enough without having the volume turned up all the way.

And Gary Ablett Snr kicking 100 in.... 95?

Take a stab... others were at SCG and G yeah.
Yeah one was against Norf at the G and we flogged em.
Can remember one game against the Swans at KP and we got to run on twice.
Best atmosphere I can remember at KP was around 2000, and we beat the Swans at the end of the year to make the finals.

Best crowd reaction was the final game of 2015 against Adelaide when Johnson, Kelly and Stokes retired to amazing emotional scenes and Adelaide's Dangerfield had the last kick on goal after the siren and was greeted with loud applause as we knew it was his last game before become a Good Guy. That was a massive day and will not be surpassed IMO.

Best crowd reaction was the final game of 2015 against Adelaide when Johnson, Kelly and Stokes retired to amazing emotional scenes and Adelaide's Dangerfield had the last kick on goal after the siren and was greeted with loud applause as we knew it was his last game before become a Good Guy. That was a massive day and will not be surpassed IMO.
Did you go to the Melb game this year?
I didn't, but it's the loudest I've heard it on TV when Tommy started dominating.

Did you go to the Melb game this year?
I didn't, but it's the loudest I've heard it on TV when Tommy started dominating.

Atmosphere in the final quarter was incredible. Absolutely incredible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly as occurred at the Melbourne game this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think all teams supporters abuse their own players to an extent (especially if they've cost the team a goal or are playing horrendously), it's the lack of noise after a goal that is disappointing, even getting stuck into opposition players is non-existent. It would be really cool if we still got stuck into Ballantyne - yes it was six years ago but we don't forget the rivalry we had with them

Club needs to get some word out and really flog off memberships and single game tickets to build crowds and create an atmosphere. Even better, reward game attendees and make us feel united. There's too much disconnect and people aren't getting enough enjoyment out of going to games

Give everyone a free Cats Cotton On T-Shirt (left on their seat) and encourage the crowd to wear them. Turn the stands solid blue and white. Or leave a flag on every seat (put a Ford logo or something on it) and encourage the crowd to use it. It would look amazing and really get everyone up and about. And it adds value for money - promote before the game that it's free T-Shirt day and everyone will be keen.

There needs to be a darryl braithwaite or john farnham anthem that is associated with geelong that we sing in unison.

There needs to be a darryl braithwaite or john farnham anthem that is associated with geelong that we sing in unison.

Horses would be awesome. Best karaoke song ever.
Dunno how to associate it with Geelong but.
Weren't Metallica honorary members?
Bring out that bell thing wev'e got and play For whom the Bell Tolls and get one of the old campaigners to hit the bell with a hammer.

Last edited:
Yeah one was against Norf at the G and we flogged em.
Can remember one game against the Swans at KP and we got to run on twice.
Best atmosphere I can remember at KP was around 2000, and we beat the Swans at the end of the year to make the finals.

I told that story to some year 7 students just a few weeks ago about how we ran onto the ground twice when Snr missed that goal very narrowly, yet we assumed he had it. And that ground announcer kept yelling HE DIDNT KICK IT, GET OFF THE GROUND HE DIDNT KICK IT.

Fun times. I miss players kicking 100 goals.

I remember the one at the G me and mum had a christening to go to that day, yet we still went to the game praying he would get it in the first half, so we could leave for our other commitment. He didnt disappoint :)

Email back from the club:

The only time you are added to the automatic rollover is if you renew online (where the automatic rollover is stated during this process) or if you choose to opt for monthly instalments.

If you do not wish to be added to the automatic rollover in future, I would recommend calling us to renew and this way we can ensure your membership will not automatically renew.

So I will be ensuring I just ring them in Feb each year, and thus avoiding all this. All good.

Oh god no please. Look at what Port do with Never tear us apart, they look like a bunch of ******* idiots.

Email back from the club:

The only time you are added to the automatic rollover is if you renew online (where the automatic rollover is stated during this process) or if you choose to opt for monthly instalments.

If you do not wish to be added to the automatic rollover in future, I would recommend calling us to renew and this way we can ensure your membership will not automatically renew.

So I will be ensuring I just ring them in Feb each year, and thus avoiding all this. All good.
I use the phone. It's always a good experience and the people are really nice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back