Resource 2019 Membership Discussion

Does the club have a "supporter" membership - I have one with Victory & I know the Storm offer them also. They are designed for people who aren't able to attend matches but still want to show their support for the club & it also allows you to maintain consecutive years of membership.

With my Victory membership I receive me membership card, lanyard, fixture, stickers & scarf every year - the base other members receive. So if I can get to a game I can wear my lanyard around my neck & feel part of things.

Maybe that's something Geelong could look at as an option going forward, especially good for those who may be going through a change of circumstances or don't want the digital membership etc.

Does the club have a "supporter" membership - I have one with Victory & I know the Storm offer them also. They are designed for people who aren't able to attend matches but still want to show their support for the club & it also allows you to maintain consecutive years of membership.

With my Victory membership I receive me membership card, lanyard, fixture, stickers & scarf every year - the base other members receive. So if I can get to a game I can wear my lanyard around my neck & feel part of things.

Maybe that's something Geelong could look at as an option going forward, especially good for those who may be going through a change of circumstances or don't want the digital membership etc.

I'm fairly certain they do have this.

The club does have a non-access membership (branded as 'Membership') for $60. Includes all the member pack items and access to finals tickets

longtimecat

Aug 21, 2009

I buy a three game membership, have done for years, but never go to the games. At least I feel I am contributing to the club in a small way, and I receive the members pack, scarf etc.

Nov 30, 2000
No longer in a premiership drought
LUFC/MSRLC/MVFC
Anyone changed their membership package online this year? I did it on the weekend and still haven't received confirmation of the change, and as I'm on the direct debit plan, it needs to be done by 5pm tomorrow.

Considering they won't let you change via email or the phone, this is pretty bloody ordinary and it now looks like I'm going to have to pay them a visit tomorrow after work.

Anyone changed their membership package online this year? I did it on the weekend and still haven't received confirmation of the change, and as I'm on the direct debit plan, it needs to be done by 5pm tomorrow.

Considering they won't let you change via email or the phone, this is pretty bloody ordinary and it now looks like I'm going to have to pay them a visit tomorrow after work.

You can give the club a call regarding memberships enquirers - they can assist over the phone.

I was having a similar problem earlier this month where credit for reselling my seat this past season wasn't showing up on my invoice - when I visited the club the checked & could see the credit I was owed. The issue with it not showing on my invoice (and I also use the direct debit installments) is that the AFL that handles that side of things - so updating of invoices, monthly payment amounts etc.

So it could be a case that the AFL employees who are meant to be updating that information are running behind (in my case they had taken a couple of days off to enjoy an extra extra long weekend ahead of the Melbourne Cup) - I've got to check if my membership is showing as correct & if not I was advised to call the club, so try giving them a call

Nov 30, 2000
LUFC/MSRLC/MVFC
You can give the club a call regarding memberships enquirers - they can assist over the phone.

I was having a similar problem earlier this month where credit for reselling my seat this past season wasn't showing up on my invoice - when I visited the club the checked & could see the credit I was owed. The issue with it not showing on my invoice (and I also use the direct debit installments) is that the AFL that handles that side of things - so updating of invoices, monthly payment amounts etc.

So it could be a case that the AFL employees who are meant to be updating that information are running behind (in my case they had taken a couple of days off to enjoy an extra extra long weekend ahead of the Melbourne Cup) - I've got to check if my membership is showing as correct & if not I was advised to call the club, so try giving them a call

I assumed someone from the club would contact me to confirm it. I can call in to the club after work tomorrow to sort it out, but surely it shouldn't have to be this difficult?

Isaac Norm Smith

Apr 8, 2011

Hey Catman, I was a social club member this year and I've decided not to renew the social club membership in 2019. I will still be a member, but can't justify spending nearly $900 on a membership so I will be purchasing a different package. A couple of weeks ago I rang up and cancelled the automatic rollover. It says not to ring in the email the club sent out, but I did this prior to the email being sent and they took me off it. I thought just to be sure I'll fill in the form attached to the email, so I did that too.

Yesterday I received a text saying my credit card had expired (which the one they have on record has) and that I needed to contact the club to update my payment details for the automatic rollover. I rang them to say I'd cancelled the automatic rollover via phone and the form and they said I was still signed up to the rollover. They said that they had now cancelled it and I won't be charged for that membership. I was then informed that I can log onto my Geelong Cats account on the website and then purchase whatever membership I like that way.

I just logged on now and it still has the social club membership invoice there as an outstanding balance. They do make things hard it seems. At least I can't be charged as they have an old, expired credit card on their database. I have absolutely no doubt that despite the two phone calls and the form I filled out in between the calls, that they would probably still do the rollover and charge me. It's quite frustrating and certainly far from straight forward as it should be in this day and age.

Hey Catman, I was a social club member this year and I've decided not to renew the social club membership in 2019. I will still be a member, but can't justify spending nearly $900 on a membership so I will be purchasing a different package. A couple of weeks ago I rang up and cancelled the automatic rollover. It says not to ring in the email the club sent out, but I did this prior to the email being sent and they took me off it. I thought just to be sure I'll fill in the form attached to the email, so I did that too.

Yesterday I received a text saying my credit card had expired (which the one they have on record has) and that I needed to contact the club to update my payment details for the automatic rollover. I rang them to say I'd cancelled the automatic rollover via phone and the form and they said I was still signed up to the rollover. They said that they had now cancelled it and I won't be charged for that membership. I was then informed that I can log onto my Geelong Cats account on the website and then purchase whatever membership I like that way.

I just logged on now and it still has the social club membership invoice there as an outstanding balance. They do make things hard it seems. At least I can't be charged as they have an old, expired credit card on their database. I have absolutely no doubt that despite the two phone calls and the form I filled out in between the calls, that they would probably still do the rollover and charge me. It's quite frustrating and certainly far from straight forward as it should be in this day and age.

Cats memberships are definitely not the easiest memberships to change. Plenty of phone calls, emails and visits to The Cats Shop seem to be the norm.

I recently upgraded by brothers Swans membership and the process was so easy. A simple, easy to read form, where you select what membership you have now and what membership you want to change to. Later that day, got an email to confirm the change. Incredibly efficient, I tip my hat to the Swans membership staff.

Isaac Norm Smith

Apr 8, 2011
Cats memberships are definitely not the easiest memberships to change. Plenty of phone calls, emails and visits to The Cats Shop seem to be the norm.

I recently upgraded by brothers Swans membership and the process was so easy. A simple, easy to read form, where you select what membership you have now and what membership you want to change to. Later that day, got an email to confirm the change. Incredibly efficient, I tip my hat to the Swans membership staff.

Yeah it sounds like we could learn a lot from other clubs with membership processing. People just don't have the time and energy to have to jump through all these hoops, nor should they have to. They must lose members this way which is unfortunate. It's something the club needs to address.

That gives me a headache just reading that.

You're crazy to quit the social club tho!! I sat there a year or so back as a guest, was ******* mad. (but yeah almost 1k is alot)

Yeah it sounds like we could learn a lot from other clubs with membership processing. People just don't have the time and energy to have to jump through all these hoops, nor should they have to. They must lose members this way which is unfortunate. It's something the club needs to address.

:D ;) :thumbsu:

Price unaffected for me and happy to allow the monthly DD to continue. Too convenient to pass up.
That said, I'd happily donate extra to the club, I applaud their effort and endeavour to rid themselves of pokies, and soon enough they will.

Would happily contribute extra to do my bit to cover the shortfall.
That for me is justification enough to jack prices up. No need to talk about what others pay

goyoucatters

Jan 31, 2008
Stockport County, Chicago Cubs
I applaud their effort and endeavour to rid themselves of pokies, and soon enough they will.
That for me is justification enough to jack prices up. No need to talk about what others pay

Agree with all of this. And especially with the bolded.

I'm not interested in how the GFC stacks up against other clubs in these measures. I just want us to be the best we can be.

And we will be a better and more responsible corporate citizen when we stop giving any oxygen to the pokies industry. In my view, turning profits that can only flow from the guaranteed misery of a proportion of your clientele is no way to run a footy club.

Spazz Cat

Jun 10, 2013
Price unaffected for me and happy to allow the monthly DD to continue. Too convenient to pass up.
That said, I'd happily donate extra to the club, I applaud their effort and endeavour to rid themselves of pokies, and soon enough they will.

We still have pokies, make more from them than most clubs in the AFL and gamblers money lost on them will increase this year to probably the most ever by GFC owned machines.
I am committed to becoming a vegan by, I dunno, whenever.
Can I start recieving kudos from studenty types now and start acting smug around meat eaters?

I'd like it if the gave us a polo or something with our membership... You look at people spend 600 bucks and you get a s**t cheap hat or scarf, surely they could send you a polo with Member 2019 etc under the logo, especially with Cotton On involved,. The shirts only cost them about 2 bucks from Bangladesh anyway so something like that at least helps make you feel like you get something to show for it.. Even make it an exclusive for members so they don't then flog them off at the Cats shop that non members can buy anyway.... And people would attach a bit of pride to the fact they have one

This is really a first world problem type whinge but I don't care :D

Mr Blicavs

Basking in Premiership glory!
Aug 12, 2015
Toronto Raptors - Maple Leafs
I'd like it if the gave us a polo or something with our membership... You look at people spend 600 bucks and you get a s**t cheap hat or scarf, surely they could send you a polo with Member 2019 etc under the logo, especially with Cotton On involved,. The shirts only cost them about 2 bucks from Bangladesh anyway so something like that at least helps make you feel like you get something to show for it.. Even make it an exclusive for members so they don't then flog them off at the Cats shop that non members can buy anyway.... And people would attach a bit of pride to the fact they have one

Anything is better than a plastic key ring

Nov 30, 2000
LUFC/MSRLC/MVFC

They better not start offering incentives for non-members to join up halfway through 2019, like they have in the past.