Official Club Stuff 2019 Membership Thread

dave10

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
OneM1llionClubInfographicv2web.jpg

Wookie, please merge or do your thing to get this set up...

2019 memberships are being renewed and rollovers underway. How will things look in 2019?

Some things I expect in 2019:

- The gap between Richmond and the big Victorian clubs to shrink as Collingwood, Essendon and Hawthorn charge towards 90,000. Richmond will stay above 100,000.

- Essendon to go past Hawthorn (and West Coast) for the first time in 20 years or so and possibly be the 2nd biggest membership in the league in 2019 despite not winning a final in 15 years!

- Carlton to push towards 60,000 with a more botany backdrop for the year ahead.

- Melbourne to nudge 50,000. Good growth for Roos, Lions, Blues.

- Geelong, Swans, Dockers and Suns to do well to hold at 2018 levels.

Overall I expect another year of good growth in total numbers.

Last edited by a moderator:

gopies1981

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 25, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Richmond 95,000
Collingwood 90,000
Essendon 85,000
West Coast 83,000
Hawthorn 82,000
Sydney 65,000
Geelong 63,000
Adelaide 60,000br
Port Adelaide 55,000
Fremantle 53,000
Carlton 52,000
Melbourne 50,000
St.Kilda 45,000
Western bulldogs 44,000
North Melbourne 40,000
Brisbane 25,000
GWS 25,000
Gold Coast 20,000

These are my predictions. Richmond will drop slightly will be extremely hard to top over 100,000 after not winning a premiership in 2018!

gopies1981

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 25, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Wookie, please merge or do your thing to get this set up...

2019 memberships are being renewed and rollovers underway. How will things look in 2019?

Some things I expect in 2019:

- The gap between Richmond and the big Victorian clubs to shrink as Collingwood, Essendon and Hawthorn charge towards 90,000. Richmond will stay above 100,000.

- Essendon to go past Hawthorn (and West Coast) for the first time in 20 years or so and possibly be the 2nd biggest membership in the league in 2019 despite not winning a final in 15 years!

- Carlton to push towards 60,000 with a more botany backdrop for the year ahead.

- Melbourne to nudge 50,000. Good growth for Roos, Lions, Blues.

- Geelong, Swans, Dockers and Suns to do well to hold at 2018 levels.

Overall I expect another year of good growth in total numbers.

If Collingwood continue on with there form from last year the pies will get 90,000 members. Biggest increase will come from pies, bombers and dees

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
I wonder how much of a bump North and Geel8ng will get from their AFLW teams. I think the AFLW does attract a different group to the club as supporters.

Ours are $65 this year so meet that criteria. I believe ours count but I'm sure I'll be corrected if not. But hard to seek with free entry entry but the club provides a roped 8ff area and beanbags at the ground to value add. Good idea on mostly open Suburban grounds in Sydney.

Richmond 95,000
Collingwood 90,000

Gold Coast 20,000

These are my predictions. Richmond will drop slightly will be extremely hard to top over 100,000 after not winning a premiership in 2018!
I am amazed Gold Coast could even snare 20,000 members

TigerTime_89

4x Jack Dyer Medalist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melb Storm, Liverpool, S Thunder
Thursday Update:
Essendon: 4,780
GWS: 9,259
Melbourne: 20,215
All other teams have no numbers or aren't selling yet.

dave10

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Bombers advertising $25 memberships with two game tickets. Wow. WIll these count?
I may be wrong but I don’t believe so. I’m sure a member to be counted needs a package valued at least $50.

It’s a good idea to encourage people to games that either don’t go or are new to the game. Low risk and cost. Good value. Idea being that in future they trade up as their interest levels supposedly build in time. I think the Bombers figure so far is growing nicely Vs last year as would be expected.

Fozdog

Go Bombers
Feb 25, 2015
Geelong, Vic
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Foxes
Bombers advertising $25 memberships with two game tickets. Wow. WIll these count?
I think it has to be $50 or more to register in any clubs tally. This just looks like a promo to to get new members. The only drawback is you might canabilise the 3 game members that do count.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
I think it has to be $50 or more to register in any clubs tally. This just looks like a promo to to get new members. The only drawback is you might canabilise the 3 game members that do count.
Interesting strategy.

We're very focussed on membership growth, but generally dont discount memberships. We do give away a lot of promo tkts thriugh juniors and schools, and increasingly by offering members free tkts to give away. Possibly that's to avoid annoying existing members by empowering them in the promotion.

I think there is a certain integrity in focussing on what you want to happen, not the post AFL audit figures for show. Arguably we do this too much, last years offer if an $80 one ganemembership for the late season game in Canberra for example.

dave10

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Interesting strategy.

We're very focussed on membership growth, but generally dont discount memberships. We do give away a lot of promo tkts thriugh juniors and schools, and increasingly by offering members free tkts to give away. Possibly that's to avoid annoying existing members by empowering them in the promotion.

I think there is a certain integrity in focussing on what you want to happen, not the post AFL audit figures for show. Arguably we do this too much, last years offer if an $80 one ganemembership for the late season game in Canberra for example.
I think you need to think broader than just the numerical membership figure to account for the wider play here. I assume this is to encourage game day trial for those that are Bomber supporters but perhaps rarely go to game. This also encourages kids and parents who may only want to go to a game or two.

The idea would be to get them on board now on the basis they enjoy the experience and then trade up to 6/11 game packages in future years.

In many ways it’s a different approach to the Giants giving free tickets away to schools or the Hawks who I think in 2018 had a kids in free initiative at one of their home matches at the G (against the Crows or Eagles I can’t remember which).

In the end I don’t think they count to the official tally but there’s a longer term strategy behind it.

I actually don’t think it’s about publishing inflated membership figures, rather a strategy to encourage match attendance and future membership.

EFC have hardly skipped a beat over the last few years in growing membership relative to on field performance. This is a strategic play at building further growth beyond 100,000 over the next 2-3 years by employing a smart strategy to encourage its vast following to membership.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
I think you need to think broader than just the numerical membership figure to account for the wider play here. I assume this is to encourage game day trial for those that are Bomber supporters but perhaps rarely go to game. This also encourages kids and parents who may only want to go to a game or two.

The idea would be to get them on board now on the basis they enjoy the experience and then trade up to 6/11 game packages in future years.

In many ways it’s a different approach to the Giants giving free tickets away to schools or the Hawks who I think in 2018 had a kids in free initiative at one of their home matches at the G (against the Crows or Eagles I can’t remember which).

In the end I don’t think they count to the official tally but there’s a longer term strategy behind it.

I actually don’t think it’s about publishing inflated membership figures, rather a strategy to encourage match attendance and future membership.

EFC have hardly skipped a beat over the last few years in growing membership relative to on field performance. This is a strategic play at building further growth beyond 100,000 over the next 2-3 years by employing a smart strategy to encourage its vast following to membership.
I think you misunderstood. As they are so cheap I cant see they would make the AFL audit, and the club would know this. Quite possibly we are too focussed on numbers.

dave10

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
I think you misunderstood. As they are so cheap I cant see they would make the AFL audit, and the club would know this. Quite possibly we are too focussed on numbers.
Yes, sorry for my misunderstanding. I agree with this point. Numbers are important and reflect many important factors. However, Essendon wants to build its base beyond 100,000 and this initiative would have this 2-3 years horizon in mind on the basis it delivers as it would expect as one of its growth pillars. Essendon has also stated in the past it will be focussing on really nurturing and growing engagement with its junior segment post “saga” so this may be an example of this too.

TigerTime_89

4x Jack Dyer Medalist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melb Storm, Liverpool, S Thunder
Brisbane: 991
Essendon: 39,434
GWS: 10,535
Melbourne: 20,215
North Melbourne: 19,237