2019 membership updates

hawkgal02

Team Captain
Jun 21, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This is a massive utensil up by Hawthorn and I am furious about it. Strange that they think name, address and phone no. Isn’t considered sensitive information.

I understand for some this isn’t a massive deal, but there are people on that list that for multiple reasons this information is incredibly sensitive. There are reasons some people are listed as silent voters with their addresses and other personal details suppressed.
I’m unsure as to why any of this information is leaving Hawthorn and why a staff member would require it outside the club.
Not sure why this being made a bigger deal of. Not sure what we can do as we will May never know what will happen with the data.

Carl Spackler

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
For those that are genuinely worried, know that this was 99.99% an addict doing a quick smash-and-grab of a bag seen through a car window (computer! SCORE!) and not a cyber criminal stalking Hawthorn marketing staff until they get the moment to grab a member's list of names, addresses and phone numbers.

If you go onto gumtree or ebay and search computer parts you're very likely to see the RAM right now (RAM is a good fence as it's pretty portable between devices and easy to install. Motherboards, graphics cards and hard-drives less so as they are usually engineered to squeeze into a specific laptop model.). A druggie smashed the window, grabbed the bag and sold it to a fence or dealer for a couple hits. The fence puts the parts up on ebay and gets maybe $150 in the end. The hard drive most likely ends up in a trash pile because laptop drives are not particularly portable. Desktop drives, on the other hand, are all standard.

Have a click here and be assured that your secrets are safe. Heck, scroll through the page and you may be looking at Hawthorn's memory boards.

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/170083/...arts&LH_ItemCondition=3000&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=1

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Well, yes I’m serious, it is serious, and I have never threatened, I conveyed my concern and and have the right to dictate who has my family and my data, and did use the word ‘may’. As for the last part of this reply, I won’t respond.

By the way, the theft was not at the club, this is my main issue.

Ok, sorry, I thought it was done at the club. I think the anger should be directed to the staffer, in all reality he/she should be stood down but I don't feel the club should suffer because if an inept staffer.

Black Hawk

Debutant
Jun 11, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Renegades, Chiefs
Ok, sorry, I thought it was done at the club. I think the anger should be directed to the staffer, in all reality he/she should be stood down but I don't feel the club should suffer because if an inept staffer.

Before we lynch the staffer involved, I think we need to find out whether it was standard practice for membership staff to take data home with them. In that case we need to look further up the tree.

Apr 10, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Saints
Good IT and business governance ensures that the data does not leave the club in-encrypted. Unless the staffer deliberately disobeyed orders, the club is responsible.

I’ve never been an agitator but i will be at the next AGM for sure

Carl Spackler

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Stood down for taking a laptop (a PORTABLE computer) from the office? So, what, we have 99% of the white collar workforce getting sacked now? Inept?

Sheesh, the drama. More tense than a season finale of Breaking Bad.

I cant believe this isn’t front page news.
I have called them but no one answered... i am f&#ing furious. Sorry but unless there is a full investigation and heads roll, i am not renewing. Any chance of a repeat with the club is simply not acceptable.
See ya.

Enjoy Carlton.

Totally agree on your scenarios. Some things are super difficult and not possible to stop economically or practically. But an insecure computer in a car is insane.
I’d like to know what “Working with stakeholders” is ? I honestly doubt their ability to do anything at this stage. They should be calling every pawn shop, or calling every private eye in town to do it.
Agreed with this bit re: the computer not being secured.

Why would anyone have a spreadsheet on their device? Should be cloud based, right?

Agreed with this bit re: the computer not being secured.

Why would anyone have a spreadsheet on their device? Should be cloud based, right?

But if it’s cloud based, and a shared file, it’s accessible on all laptops with permission. I had assumed this was what it was. Not just one single dude who keeps all members details in a spreadsheet on a single laptop.

But if it’s cloud based, and a shared file, it’s accessible on all laptops with permission. I had assumed this was what it was. Not just one single dude who keeps all members details in a spreadsheet on a single laptop.
Makes sense.

But if it were cloud based, couldn't access privileges be changed so that the computer (or login etc.) in question couldn't gain access?

Makes sense.

But if it were cloud based, couldn't access privileges be changed so that the computer (or login etc.) in question couldn't gain access?

Depends. If the machine isn’t domain joined or enrolled in some form of endpoint administration software there’s very little you could do remotely. Unsure of the level of IT infrastructure inside of football clubs though to be honest. You’d think if they had any sort of remote management that the need to even send an email probably wouldn’t be required, so I doubt they can do much about it. Important work related documents being stored outside of a document management system on the local machine is a bit of a worry.

Depends. If the machine isn’t domain joined or enrolled in some form of endpoint administration software there’s very little you could do remotely. Unsure of the level of IT infrastructure inside of football clubs though to be honest. You’d think if they had any sort of remote management that the need to even send an email probably wouldn’t be required, so I doubt they can do much about it. Important work related documents being stored outside of a document management system on the local machine is a bit of a worry.
Frankly, I'm shocked to be sitting here...

Feb 13, 2010
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Coney Island Warriors
If you go onto gumtree or ebay and search computer parts you're very likely to see the RAM right now (RAM is a good fence as it's pretty portable between devices and easy to install. Motherboards, graphics cards and hard-drives less so as they are usually engineered to squeeze into a specific laptop model.). A druggie smashed the window, grabbed the bag and sold it to a fence or dealer for a couple hits. The fence puts the parts up on ebay and gets maybe $150 in the end. The hard drive most likely ends up in a trash pile because laptop drives are not particularly portable. Desktop drives, on the other hand, are all standard.

With RAM prices the way they are at the minute, we could build our entire Dingley complex from a few stolen gaming rigs!

Carl Spackler

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Dammit!! I keep getting these phone calls with great offers of 43% electricity savings. They must have got my number from the secret file. CANCELLING MEMBERSHIP!!!111!!1!!elventy11!!!!

Back