2019 membership updates

Remove this Banner Ad

I cant believe this isn’t front page news.
I have called them but no one answered... i am f&#ing furious. Sorry but unless there is a full investigation and heads roll, i am not renewing. Any chance of a repeat with the club is simply not acceptable.

I’m a CIO with more than 12 years in IT at the top level. Ive gone through audits, Ive implemented SOX controls, and know full well that no one should have a list like this on an un-encrypted computer. Our names are now public domain.
SOX is financial reporting, nothing to do with data security

SOX is financial reporting, nothing to do with data security
Primary purpose - agreed.
Otherwise, in practical terms, I Disagree - you cant have a financial signoff without an IT signoff. At least not in my global company.
Section 3 includes “Corporate Reponsibility”. I had to sign off on audit reports that “My Department is Operating True and Correct” ( or words to that effect ).
Section 8. “Corporate and Criminal Fraud”. How can anyone vouch for the veracity of their accounting records without IT Controls.

I will admit that “unencrypted computer “ does not equal SOX though. But good IT controls are required to establish the Integrity of the accounting records.

Last edited:

So about those memberships

My pack turned up today.

Wonder when the replacement games will be announced.
The Days/Dates/Opponents of the Replacement Games were on the stolen laptop - that's why the delay in letting us know.

It’d be handy to know, wouldn’t it?

Fixture comes out late October, it’s now January. As it is, reserved seat holders are not exactly seeing great value for money (down to 6 MCG games).

I think a good assumption is that the AFL have offered s**t games (one more way for them to turn up the heat on the Tasmanian sponsorship) and Hawthorn are saying "**** that!"

Specifically, there are six potential replacement games in Melbourne:

* St Kilda @ Marvel
* Melbourne @ MCG
* Richmond @ MCG
* Essendon @ Marvel
* Geelong @ MCG
* North @ Marvel

I wouldn’t be surprised to hear that the AFL have offered St Kilda, Melbourne, Essendon and North. Rightfully, the Hawks have likely blown a gasket.

I think a good assumption is that the AFL have offered s**t games (one more way for them to turn up the heat on the Tasmanian sponsorship) and Hawthorn are saying "**** t

I think you’re spot on here.

Unfortunately, this is what happens when HQ want a specific outcome and you are standing in their way. Will be interesting to see what happens and what Jeffrey’s response will be, considering how bullish he has been about our presence in Tassie.

This is what our “home fixture” for reserved seat fans will probably look like..

WB (MCG)
North (MCG)
St K (Marvel)
Geelong (MCG)
Melbourne (MCG)
GWS (MCG)
5 week gap
* (MCG)
WC (MCG)
Pies (MCG)
North (Marvel)
GC (Marvel)

I wonder if it is more than just a replacement game issue. If we leave Tassie and North Melbourne takes more games down there I bet the AFL will be trying to fill the void of North at Marvel Stadium with us rather than more games at the G.

I don’t think that would be the case, it’s likely we’d see more games between Victorian sides though, and wouldn’t be surprised to see a Carlton vs Essendon game scheduled there.

I know the club generate a huge amount of sponsorship from Tassie but surely we have the corporate structure to ensure we don’t lose out from moving on from there, id be surprised if the club doesn’t already have contingencies in place. Personally I’d love to have Hawthorn back full time in Melbourne, I also think long term it’s an inevitable reality.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have a huge home ground advantage, play only 4 games a year there, and those games earn us $5m per year, and people want to give it up?
1. Home ground advantage in Tassie is redundant if we're playing interstate teams, which we normally do. We'd have the same home ground advantage at the MCG.
2. 4 home games a year is a fair slice of the 11 we get. Throw in the pre-season game and the Marvel Stadium home game rort, and we're only hosting at the MCG 6 times per year.
3. $5m is a great collection, but they are a major sponsor. If we replaced them with someone else, then we'd still get revenue. It's not like that $5m would disappear entirely.

That being said, I like Tassie and I'm happy for us to stay and have a presence in Tassie. But I don't think we need to be chained to the place.

There’s also the $2.5m or so in the 8k Tassie memberships plus merchandise. Concessions/receipts at the stadium would be a couple bucks more.

But it’s not all about money, despite the fact that every dollar is very important with the ambitious DingleyLand vision. When Tassie was a neglected footy wasteland, Hawthorn (largely by the inspiration of Jeff) turned that ship around. Chasing that relationship was a big, risky bet at a very critical time for Hawthorn finances and successful operations. It’s important not to forget how important Tassie has been to the club, not just today but when we first signed that big and club-stabilising contract.

The only reason Tassie is even being remotely considered as a footy base today is because of the effort and success Hawthorn has had over the last decade growing the island’s footy culture to support high-level professional footy. It would be nice if the AFL acknowledged that fact, rather than acting like Hawthorn is some sort of recalcitrant interloper in the fertile fields it actually sowed.

Sentiment aside, and Hawthorn has shown great ability to avoid base sentimentality, I’m sure Hawthorn will move on from Tassie when the AFL (and politicians who are now jumping in promising to spend our tax dollars on Tassie footy) make it too hard to stay. And I, for one, reckon that will be a sad day. I’m certain the club with now thrive and survive without Tassie, but I think footy in Tassie will genuinely suffer when it’s treated as a money dump, as per GCS, by they AFL instead of as a partner as per the Hawthorn relationship.

I’m not offended.

You said we were in a tight battle for second spot. There are no spots.
I think you, me & everyone else knows what was meant in the original post.
Technically, you are correct, there is no ladder/spot but commentators go on about it, the media go on about it in newspapers, big footy posters go on about it, it’s sonething that is talked about every year by some.

Please forgive my crappy photo-taking ability....needed to get the mug in the background :p
View attachment 609282

I was sure they would drop the Richmond game and give us St Kilda at Marvel in round four instead. And I fully expected them to drop the Melbourne game and give us Essendon* in round 13 at Marvel as well. We have not been maximum screwed by the AFL. In fact we have been minimum screwed.

The is the less well known eighth sign of the Apocalypse. I hope you have all been saying your prayers because the end is obviously nigh.

I was sure they would drop the Richmond game and give us St Kilda at Marvel in round four instead. And I fully expected them to drop the Melbourne game and give us Essendon* in round 13 at Marvel as well. We have not been maximum screwed by the AFL. In fact we have been minimum screwed.

The is the less well known eighth sign of the Apocalypse. I hope you have all been saying your prayers because the end is obviously nigh.

I would imagine this is why it took so long to announce. I don’t think the club will ever come out and say it, but I think we got a big win here, and it wouldn’t surprise me if both our CEO and Chair played a huge role.

Not sure if this belongs here but I couldn't find anywhere else to put it. I got my membership pack in the mail and I was surprised, 20 years goes real quick! It's the little touches like getting a certificate that says thank you that makes me proud to be a member of this club and a 40-odd year supporter of it. It may be small beans to most people but I was really happy anyway.
membership.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back