Magus

Cancelled
10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks
Anyone can drop off at anytime. It's a small financial but large emotional commitment to make but many may feel like it's not worth it and their dollars and time are better spent elsewhere.

That said, if you're not going to renew or help the club financially, I don't see the incentive of hanging around a dedicated football forum just to complain.

Boxx

Premiership Player
Mar 2, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys
Has any of the 1870 members got their pack yet?

I assume that it is branded 1870 as previous years?

Portmagpies36

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 5, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The same generic tat in the members pack (the slogan used is extremely tacky)
Have been a member of the PAFC for nearly 40 years, be nice if their was some recognition for membership milestones.
Also the membership cards could have the current best and fairest player on them to make them a bit more interesting.
Maybe in 2020 have the first ever Port side on them.

Magus

Cancelled
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks
It’s football forum on the internet not a members convention.

People here are generally pretty into the Club, not just casual observers. Either support the Club or do something else so others don't have to read about how they don't really care that much.

blackdiamond

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 7, 2000
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
New Orleans Saints, Detroit Tigers
People here are generally pretty into the Club, not just casual observers. Either support the Club or do something else so others don't have to read about how they don't really care that much.

I think I have been here long enough to understand that this isn’t a Facebook groupie page, sorry but I will be sticking around the forum.

Club can’t get rid of Hinkley. The horse has bolted. Don’t people get that? We can’t afford to pay him out and the AFL would take a hard line with it anyway. And even if we were allowed to pay him out then fans not renewing hurts the bottom dollar to be able to do it. Where is the club supposed to get the millions from? There has been massive change of line coaches. It seems the club might have stuffedup in renewing Ken so early (although not sure of any proven alternatives)and I am really pissed off as much as anyone but what is done is done. They have to make other changes and they are. We need to do our bit by supporting the club going forward. My opinion anyway.

Agree with this. If this was the last year of his contract or something then maybe 'vote with your feet' would have some merit, but the decision has been made. If you really want Ken Hinkley sacked, the best way of doing so is to buy a membership to contribute to the club financially so we can afford to pay out his contract if we continue to suck.

Didn’t say that I wouldn’t be attending games but will express my dissatisfaction by not purchasing a membership.
So what you're saying is your support is conditional. You don't care about the club, unless it is run to your personal satisfaction. Sure, I'm pissed at the club, hate the decisions that have been made. However, I love the club. Its like having a kid who *s up but you stand by them. When the going gets tough you nick off, and only crawl back when things are bright.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Jul 7, 2007
Ziggurat City
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
LUFC, Patriots
If you really want Ken Hinkley sacked, the best way of doing so is to buy a membership to contribute to the club financially so we can afford to pay out his contract if we continue to suck.
"Our members have shown a massive vote of confidence in Ken by signing up in record numbers." D. Koch, Dec 2018.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get wanting to show dissatisfaction in the current regime, but for those not renewing you are constraining Port Adelaide financially and so limiting our ability to make positive changes.

If our membership doubled tomorrow we could probably afford to pay Ken out. If it halves, we are tied to him and a slew of bargain basement successors and unable to bring in highly rated outside help (like Schofield etc.) to help out along the way.

Dissatisfaction can be expressed in many non self-destructive ways, see #bringbackthebars; I get if you don't want to renew because you see better ways to spend your money, but let's not pretend it's because you're trying to help the club.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
I get wanting to show dissatisfaction in the current regime, but for those not renewing you are constraining Port Adelaide financially and so limiting our ability to make positive changes.

If our membership doubled tomorrow we could probably afford to pay Ken out. If it halves, we are tied to him and a slew of bargain basement successors and unable to bring in highly rated outside help (like Schofield etc.) to help out along the way.

Dissatisfaction can be expressed in many non self-destructive ways, see #bringbackthebars; I get if you don't want to renew because you see better ways to spend your money, but let's not pretend it's because you're trying to help the club.

There is literally no other way to protest though. Nothing meaningful. I'm not giving up my membership because I have a front row seat that i'd never get back, but how does the rank and file member protest outside of reducing or withdrawing their membership?

I made a sign with my feelings about the coach and copped a torrent of abuse at the game and online. I currently pay for 2 platinum memberships and i've been a member since 1997. I copped abuse from people that would have seen me sitting in front of them for every home game since at least 2013, questioning my support of the club and telling me to go and support the Crows.

We don't have a meaningful board vote at this club. Literally the only way we can vote is with our feet. My motivation to use my tickets to attend games isn't particularly high at the moment, we'll see if that changes when the season rolls around.

Agree with this. If this was the last year of his contract or something then maybe 'vote with your feet' would have some merit, but the decision has been made. If you really want Ken Hinkley sacked, the best way of doing so is to buy a membership to contribute to the club financially so we can afford to pay out his contract if we continue to suck.

Hinkley (and specifically his extension) is just a symptom of a wider problem though, a problem that can be solved by voting with our feet. He's going nowhere, but heads need to roll above him for the last 4 years and our current plight. There is no accountability from top to bottom.

So what you're saying is your support is conditional. You don't care about the club, unless it is run to your personal satisfaction. Sure, I'm pissed at the club, hate the decisions that have been made. However, I love the club. Its like having a kid who ****s up but you stand by them. When the going gets tough you nick off, and only crawl back when things are bright.

The idea that you don't care about the club if you're withdrawing your membership is moronic. We're a strong club who can afford a small financial hit if it means moving on some of the old furniture that has found itself lodged in high profile positions at our club. We're not St Kilda and unless we really like what St Kilda have done with the place, we need to demand better. If that means people want to withhold their membership fees until changes are made, those people have that right.

The analogy completely ignores the control and guidance and discipline you have over a child. If my kid *s up, some of that is on me. The only control I have over Port Adelaide is how much of my time and money they get each year.

Jason K

Premium Platinum
Mar 1, 2014
Henley Beach
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I took auto renew off when Wingard was put up for trade. I have renewed and was always going to, but I wanted to let the club know that I wasn't happy. It sounds like they got the message with the amount of auto-renewals that got stopped. I still haven't got much confidence that Ken can do the job or that the board will make the right decisions going forward, which is why I left it until the last day to renew.

Now that I have, I will hope that the new coaching structure will make a difference and hope that the rumours of a more entertaining brand of football are true. I want Port to win the AFL Premiership every year, but at the very least, I want to not hate going to watch my team play.

Last edited:

Magus

Cancelled
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks
We're a strong club who can afford a small financial hit if it means moving on some of the old furniture that has found itself lodged in high profile positions at our club.

Yeah I don't agree with this at all. Our financial position is very poor.

Magus

Cancelled
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks
Losing 5000 members isn't going to kill the club. We'll bounce back pretty quickly. It might make the chairman resign though.

Clubs like Collingwood, Essendon and Richmond have gone through years of s**t but it's their large supporter base that keeps it all together. I can't get around actively hoping that the Club will lose members and make financial losses because we've been poor on field for a time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back