2019 Membership

Remove this Banner Ad

Lawnchair Larry

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
2019 Attendance PAFC 190319.jpg

Matthew Richardson last night at Club 1870 event revealed the biggest churn rate has been from our 11 game members of 5+ years ie were members at Footy park in the dark old days. I think he said the number was 3,000. Ford Fairlane, Janus, raman did he say 3,000 for that group? Or was it the total we are behind last year?

Boxx

Premiership Player
Mar 2, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys
Matthew Richardson last night at Club 1870 event revealed the biggest churn rate has been from our 11 game members of 5+ years ie were members at Footy park in the dark old days. I think he said the number was 3,000. Ford Fairlane, Janus, raman did he say 3,000 for that group? Or was it the total we are behind last year?
I thought he said around 5000... but I may be getting it confused with 5 years

I forget the number too, but the salient point was that it's not accurate to ascribe any waning of membership numbers to the old "Adelaide Oval novelty is wearing off" factor.

I thought he said 3,000 for that group. Pretty sure he said multiply 3,000 by $X and you see the impact.

I don't want to set the thread off on another anti-Hinkley tangent, but even in the member meeting room post-match at AO late last season there was Hinkley-fatigue.

I think they underestimated the cost of their commitment to Hinkley the year before. Especially when we had nothing to show for it but ashes last year.

It's going to be a hard sell unless this year takes off.

Afterwards he asked you what needs to happen to get them back, and you said we need to be 4-0 - Melbourne, Carlton, Brisbane, Richmond. I think 3-1 would be acceptable as long as there is hope that the next time we play the team we lost to, we would win...like the loss Brisbane had against us last year.

That’s what people are looking for...hope that we will actually play something worth watching that wins games rather than going to matches and it be a chore to sit through win or lose.

Play with some imagination and fantasy.

Sep 20, 2007
Dungeon
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Losing the longer term supporters is concerning but not surprising. Higher expectations of what the Club should stand for and less tolerance for failure. We get what we deserve.

I would've thought long term supporters is the group you'd want the highest churn rate from. As bad as it sounds, you want people to be dropping off due to age, illness and death rather than for any other reasons.

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I would've thought long term supporters is the group you'd want the highest churn rate from. As bad as it sounds, you want people to be dropping off due to age, illness and death rather than for any other reasons.
Unless of course you are alienating your long term base with decisions around game plan, leadership, statement of purpose, inauthentic communication etc.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The minimum churn rate you are going to get due to death and illness, and a bit of moving interstate and overseas probably is 4%. The Oz death rate according to the ABS is about 0.65%.

Last edited:
The minimum churn rate you are going to get due to death and illness, and a bit of moving interstate and overseas and probably is 4%. The Oz death rate according to the ABS is about 0.65%.

3000 is equal to about 6%. So we're looking at about 1000 long term members not re-signing due to disenchantment.

Greymatter

Senior List
Jan 27, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Afterwards he asked you what needs to happen to get them back, and you said we need to be 4-0 - Melbourne, Carlton, Brisbane, Richmond. I think 3-1 would be acceptable as long as there is hope that the next time we play the team we lost to, we would win...like the loss Brisbane had against us last year.

That’s what people are looking for...hope that we will actually play something worth watching that wins games rather than going to matches and it be a chore to sit through win or lose.

Play with some imagination and fantasy.
Was anything offered back as to what the club felt had seen that group of fans turn away?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was anything offered back as to what the club felt had seen that group of fans turn away?
They know that, that group is used to success and we haven't delivered on our promises and they are pissed off.

Lose a home final when we were favourites, kick like s**t for goal, threw it away in normal time, and then again in extra time. Next year we go 11-4, sitting 4th and missed finals. These supporters want proof we have learnt.

That's why I said to Matthew Richardson, when he asked me what do you think we have to be on field to get them back, and I said be go 4-0 because that means we beat 2 top 4 sides from last year, Melbourne and Richmond and in between that beat Carlton at home and the dangerous Brisbane away from home.

Greymatter

Senior List
Jan 27, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
They know that, that group is used to success and we haven't delivered on our promises and they are pissed off.

Lose a home final when we were favourites, kick like s**t for goal, threw it away in normal time, and then again in extra time. Next year we go 11-4, sitting 4th and missed finals. These supporters want proof we have learnt.

That's why I said to Matthew Richardson, when he asked me what do you think we have to be on field to get them back, and I said be go 4-0 because that means we beat 2 top 4 sides from last year, Melbourne and Richmond and in between that beat Carlton at home and the dangerous Brisbane away from home.
Logically though, if those members were pre-adelaide oval, they've put up with some pretty damn poor football. Seems a weird that the club, as it is now, which is still a world away from the form of the primus/choco days, should now drop off?

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Logically though, if those members were pre-adelaide oval, they've put up with some pretty damn poor football. Seems a weird that the club, as it is now, which is still a world away from the form of the primus/choco days, should now drop off?
It's not weird. Those of us there then knew the club was fighting with one hand behind the back - a s**t stadium in the middle of nowhere. A license holder out to destroy us. A massively underfunded football department (Skyped in assistant and the IT guy roped in as an assistant). We hated the performances, but understood why they occurred. And we never felt the coaches and admin were actively insulting our intelligence.

Now with all the funds required, a decent Oval and our own license, the three K's are pissing all those advantages those at the club then would have killed for, up against the wall. And insulting us with 'Co-captains. Because. Yeah. Co-Captains. Woo!', resigning Hinkley and 'You get us over the line in close games' type antics to boot. No surprises or weirdness at all.

Nah some people just have said that enough is enough.

People that were there 7-8 years ago, knew in 2011 and 2012 we were s**t partly because of the control and treatment from the SANFL shackled us. We made bugger all money in the good years, to put away for a rainy day, because of the stadium deal, so we lost plenty in the bad years. We had an understaffed footy department. Those members knew what the real story was and that's why they hung in there. They then see us get rid of the shackles, move to AO and fund the footy department properly but year in year out, we have over promised and under deliver since that prelim final in 2014.

Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Nah some people just have said that enough is enough.

People that were there 7-8 years ago, knew in 2011 and 2012 we were s**t partly because of the control and treatment from the SANFL shackled us. We made bugger all money in the good years, to put away for a rainy day, because of the stadium deal, so we lost plenty in the bad years. We had an understaffed footy department. Those members knew what the real story was and that's why they hung in there. They then see us get rid of the shackles, move to AO and fund the footy department properly but year in year out, we have over promised and under deliver since that prelim final in 2014.

There would also be a s**t load of 11 game AO band wagoners too. Our crowds have basically doubled since Footy Park days.

There would also be a s**t load of 11 game AO band wagoners too. Our crowds have basically doubled since Footy Park days.
No doubt, its the main reason why we have doubled from 30k to 60k membership.

But both Andre and I tried to explain why people who went thru the pain of 2011 and 2012 would now drop off.

Lawnchair Larry

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
From recollection GMH Elizabeth shut down in October 2017.
I suspect PAFC has quite a few affected northerners who might have directed some of their 2017 redundancy payout in a splash for membership - maybe one last time even.
Would be interesting to see geographically where membership losses are occurring.
From recollection, when Mitsubishi went down (a long time ago), over half its workforce did not work again.

Australian Bureau of Statistics data are basically rubbish as well, when it comes to unemployment and underemployment.Employment criteria and data collection methodologies are junk, and underestimate the work situation.
I much prefer Roy Morgan unemployment+under employment data, which sits just under 20%. It's big, and coupled with insecure work, it is not adding to confidence in spending money on leisure

While home resale values have not slipped significantly here, the issues in Sydney and Melbourne are firing warning shots over the bow.

It doesn't make for a favourable membership outcome, all things considered.

54,321 members!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
56,470 this time last year. We were about 2400 behind last years figure a few weeks ago so we've gained a little bit of ground.

Edit: Over a month ago I thought we'd get around 55k, maybe it might be closer to 57-58k.

56,470 this time last year. We were about 2400 behind last years figure a few weeks ago so we've gained a little bit of ground.

Edit: Over a month ago I thought we'd get around 55k, maybe it might be closer to 57-58k.
First game last year was weekend starting Friday 23rd of March. We put up 57,013 on 23rd, ie 540 signed up in a couple of days to get access to Saturday Rd1 home game against Freo.

Something similar might happen next week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back