2019 Membership

Remove this Banner Ad

Indeed, names of Club executives who are no longer at Alberton still appear on the Staff page on the PAFC website.

Ex-Chief Operating Officer Steve Dawes is one ... and ex GM Marketing & Brand Oliver Shawyer alias ex-Whizz Kid from Sydney is another, already replaced.

Indeed, names of Club executives who are no longer at Alberton still appear on the Staff page on the PAFC website.

Ex-Chief Operating Officer Steve Dawes is one ... and ex GM Marketing & Brand Oliver Shawyer alias ex-Whizz Kid from Sydney is another, already replaced.
When did Shawyer leave?

ex GM Marketing & Brand Oliver Shawyer alias ex-Whizz Kid from Sydney is another, already replaced.

I knew he'd gone but didn't know he was replaced.

Who has that role now?

Stephen Shirley.

More changes in the van.
He was the guy who used to work for the club earlier this decade in membership development area. When I went to a Supporters Group meeting with the NSW Supporters Group president in early 2012, I had been back in Adelaide just on a year, the club brought in members of supporter groups from all round Oz for an all day meeting, and the prez asked if I could go along with him as I had spent 4 years on the NSW committee and he stayed with me.

Shirley proved us with membership and fan survey data and seemed to be really surprised by the survey results that showed over 90% of Power supporters supported the Magpies. He said something like we had no idea it was that big. I thought at the time, no wonder our membership numbers dropped to 29,000 in 2011.

Web archieve page of staff from December 2012
BRAND AND FAN DEVELOPMENT
Stephen ShirleyBrand and Marketing Manager

I think the discontent at trading off our "star player Wingard" resulted in quite a few non renewals. People including myself found myself questioning just what the bloody club was playing at. I get the discontent at the coach thing. All clubs being inconsistent will blame the coach... it is an easy out.

I still believe if we make the finals and have a little run at it then things will look much brighter for the club with 2020 memberships. It's a tough time for coach and the board... definitely in a rebuild of sorts. But with youngsters being played such as Ladhams, Marshall, Rozee, Butters, Duursma, Burton, Bonner, Houston, SPP etc then we are looking good moving forward.

Compare what we have done getting games into the youngsters to what the Crows have done, who have blooded almost nobody of worthy note barr a 23yo ruckman and a 27yo tall defender who now wants to leave.

It's tough for any coach but if Ken pulls off making finals playing this young team then I think when you sell the dream to members next year then it's a better product.

I still say PAFC supporters are notorious bandwagoners.. and I have been going to games since the early 80s

But with youngsters being played such as Ladhams, Marshall, Rozee, Butters, Duursma, Burton, Bonner, Houston, SPP etc then we are looking good moving forward.

Compare what we have done getting games into the youngsters to what the Crows have done, who have blooded almost nobody of worthy note barr a 23yo ruckman and a 27yo tall defender who now wants to leave.

It's tough for any coach but if Ken pulls off making finals playing this young team then I think when you sell the dream to members next year then it's a better product.
Hi did you miss tribey’s thread?

Yeh I dont read all the tripe on here. The facts i just wrote above are all true

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the discontent at trading off our "star player Wingard" resulted in quite a few non renewals ....
True. And no matter how well we/Hawthorn did from that since it was how it was revealed to us at the time that matters. A mixture of shock and confusion. Wingard seemed to be saying he wanted to stay and simultaneously club officials were jemmying his locker open and carrying his possessions out onto the footpath. Meanwhile we were dealing with the 2 captains thing and the club's "^&%k you!" attitude about that.
I suppose I could add Polec and Pittard going but IMO that was reasonable and well communicated.

We have lots of players above average age and we have lots of players below average age. The fact that we have a lot of players above average age doesn't invalidate the fact that we have the likes of Ladhams, Marshall, Rozee, Butters, Duursma, Burton, Bonner, Houston, SPP (plus Hayes, Garner, Drew, Atley, Frampton, Farrell) who are a promising young group.

Putting here for reference purposes. Hawks released their financials yesterday and said as part of the announcement;

Achieved a record membership tally for the 13th consecutive season; 81,211 (2018: 81,017), including 9,564 Tasmanian members; a record membership tally for Tasmania.

The AFL in 2010 and 2011 told us to make NT our secondary market just like the Hawks made Tassie theirs. Then they cut us out of being able to do that.

A few big differences
* Hawks played home games there, we were the away team in NT

* Hawks from 2007 got $300k plus CPI per game + the right to sell memberships and some corporate facilities per game ( after getting $500k per game 2001-06 but no access to game day ticket revenue), we split the gate with AFLNT as the away team $50k-$75k/game and Melbourne and WB got a flat $500k as the home team

* Hawks got sponsorship from the Tassie government starting off at almost $2m for a JMS and that bill board component has given the Hawks a $1m jumper sponsorship premium from 2007 and will finish in 2021 and its debatable if it will continue after 15 years. We never got sponsorship from the NT government.

In late 2009 we announced a deal with AFLNT to play 2 games a year in Darwin from 2010 onward as the away team and we released our 2015 Vision, which included how we would expand into NT as we prepared a 5 year plan for the AFL, to play 2 away games a NAB cup preseason game each year in the NT, do community camps in the NT and as we had llnks with the Thunderbirds, do join sports camps with them in the NT.

We played 2 games in Darwin in 2010 against Melbourne and Bulldogs and in 2011 Richmond and Melbourne, and then the AFL pulled the pin on our plans and we have played Melbourne in 2012, Bulldogs in 2013, and then were moved down to Alice Springs and played Melbourne in 2014, 2015 and 2016. I think our China games is why we haven't been back to Alice since 2016.

We discussed the NT expansion in 2010 in this thread on this board.

In February 2011, I received a txt from my mate the Airport Economist (AE) when I was at my brother in-laws place that started off with personal stuff and finished off with ... Sheedy and GWS have asked me to help them find a Chinese consumer brand to be their major sponsor. My brother in-law said WHY can't the AE help us find a *in' Chinese consumer brand.

It was that txt that set off my brother in-law and I into lobbying the club ever since then, to do things to get us out of the s**t and to improve the club financially and non financially.

The AE was coming to Adelaide with work a couple of months later, but was taking a couple of days off and brought his family as he promised his daughter to take her to see the Pandas. He also asked my brother in-law for a small favour re one of his daughters other interests. He said yes, but he asked the AE for a favour, as he was still Chief Economist at Austrade.

My brother in law set up a meeting with the AE and Port's Commercial Operations GM, Evan Arnold who was brought to Port by his friend CEO Mark Haysman at the Old Lion as the AE was staying in the apartments next to the pub. The AE economist talked about stuff he had done with the AFL re exporting the game to South Africa, the NAB cup games in SAF, Dubai, the 2010 game between Melbourne and Brisbane in Shanghai, talked about what the AFL wanted to get out of these new markets, and suggested some ways to approach international companies, especially the Chinese, who were relatively new to Oz and how to market a sports sponsorship to them.

Adelaide being Adelaide, within 15 minutes 2 friends and colleagues of the AE came up and said hello and joined the conversation. The first was a Port supporter, is a marketing consultant and worked closely with the SA government. He helped bring the International Aeronautical Congress to Adelaide in 2017 and the other one was a colleague he worked with at the Conciliation and Arbitration Commission 20 odd years earlier, he was a deputy president, then was a commissioner at Fairwork Australia last time I checked early last year. He grew up in SA supported Port, but had moved to Victoria in his late teens and became a Collingwood supporter.

Within an hour they had come up with a plan on how Port could take control of NT similar to the Hawks, getting BHP, Rio Tinto and other mining companies on board with corporate social responsibility stuff being tied into sponsoring the club, use the increasing traffic along the completed Darwin-Adelaide railway links, that had been open for 6 or 7 years, but was only just seeing volumes take off and link in with tourism stuff.

Evan Arnold just didn't really grasp what they were putting together. My brother in-law says he gave him a - how the * do you know these people - type look several times.

Unfortunately Haysman had his head chopped off by the SANFL a couple of weeks later and Evan Arnold followed within a few weeks after that.

When KT and new management came in they did talk to the marketing consultant, but we didn't have any money and they wanted him to do a fully blown report on this for free - not even at mate's rates. He said no because he wasn't prepared to spend several months working on it for nothing.

The Power Community programs over the years have implemented some of the ideas discussed in that meeting. 18 months after that meeting, the AE had left Austrade, but Koch appointed him to his Sydney based advisory panel. (Rexie J I think you asked about this advisory panel a few months ago. The AE told me he hasn't been to a meeting since early 2018).

The AFL has cut us out of NT after telling us to make it our market like the Hawks and Tassie. First it was halving our away games in Darwin, then moving us to Alice, where the corporates don't exist, then ignoring all the development and community stuff when they handed out Next Generation Academy zones to the big Vic clubs and Melbourne getting the bottom 3rd of NT where we do lots of the community stuff as the APY Lands go well over the NT border and it saves Melbourne doing stuff there as they dont have the monies to commit to do much community stuff away from the week before the game.

I'm not saying if that 2011 meeting ideas were fully implemented and the AFL didn't cut our lunch in NT we would have 9,500 members there like the Hawks do in Tassie, but with some smarts and support we could have picked up 3,000 - 4,000 new members in the NT, maybe even 5,000 if we worked it really well, and who knows if we got some of the big mining companies involved doing the corporate social responsibility stuff with us, they might have come across and done straight football club sponsorship stuff.

It's almost like at every turn we are either competing with the AFL or SANFL to assist us to grow the pie. They want us to do better than what we have done, but as football organisations, they hinder us rather than help us.

Putting here for reference purposes. Hawks released their financials yesterday and said as part of the announcement;

Achieved a record membership tally for the 13th consecutive season; 81,211 (2018: 81,017), including 9,564 Tasmanian members; a record membership tally for Tasmania.

The AFL in 2010 and 2011 told us to make NT our secondary market just like the Hawks made Tassie theirs. Then they cut us out of being able to do that.

A few big differences
* Hawks played home games there, we were the away team in NT

* Hawks from 2007 got $300k plus CPI per game + the right to sell memberships and some corporate facilities per game ( after getting $500k per game 2001-06 but no access to game day ticket revenue), we split the gate with AFLNT as the away team $50k-$75k/game and Melbourne and WB got a flat $500k as the home team

* Hawks got sponsorship from the Tassie government starting off at almost $2m for a JMS and that bill board component has given the Hawks a $1m jumper sponsorship premium from 2007 and will finish in 2021 and its debatable if it will continue after 15 years. We never got sponsorship from the NT government.

In late 2009 we announced a deal with AFLNT to play 2 games a year in Darwin from 2010 onward as the away team and we released our 2015 Vision, which included how we would expand into NT as we prepared a 5 year plan for the AFL, to play 2 away games a NAB cup preseason game each year in the NT, do community camps in the NT and as we had llnks with the Thunderbirds, do join sports camps with them in the NT.

We played 2 games in Darwin in 2010 against Melbourne and Bulldogs and in 2011 Richmond and Melbourne, and then the AFL pulled the pin on our plans and we have played Melbourne in 2012, Bulldogs in 2013, and then were moved down to Alice Springs and played Melbourne in 2014, 2015 and 2016. I think our China games is why we haven't been back to Alice since 2016.

We discussed the NT expansion in 2010 in this thread on this board.

In February 2011, I received a txt from my mate the Airport Economist (AE) when I was at my brother in-laws place that started off with personal stuff and finished off with ... Sheedy and GWS have asked me to help them find a Chinese consumer brand to be their major sponsor. My brother in-law said WHY can't the AE help us find a fu**in' Chinese consumer brand.

It was that txt that set off my brother in-law and I into lobbying the club ever since then, to do things to get us out of the s**t and to improve the club financially and non financially.

The AE was coming to Adelaide with work a couple of months later, but was taking a couple of days off and brought his family as he promised his daughter to take her to see the Pandas. He also asked my brother in-law for a small favour re one of his daughters other interests. He said yes, but he asked the AE for a favour, as he was still Chief Economist at Austrade.

My brother in law set up a meeting with the AE and Port's Commercial Operations GM, Evan Arnold who was brought to Port by his friend CEO Mark Haysman at the Old Lion as the AE was staying in the apartments next to the pub. The AE economist talked about stuff he had done with the AFL re exporting the game to South Africa, the NAB cup games in SAF, Dubai, the 2010 game between Melbourne and Brisbane in Shanghai, talked about what the AFL wanted to get out of these new markets, and suggested some ways to approach international companies, especially the Chinese, who were relatively new to Oz and how to market a sports sponsorship to them.

Adelaide being Adelaide, within 15 minutes 2 friends and colleagues of the AE came up and said hello and joined the conversation. The first was a Port supporter, is a marketing consultant and worked closely with the SA government. He helped bring the International Aeronautical Congress to Adelaide in 2017 and the other one was a colleague he worked with at the Conciliation and Arbitration Commission 20 odd years earlier, he was a deputy president, then was a commissioner at Fairwork Australia last time I checked early last year. He grew up in SA supported Port, but had moved to Victoria in his late teens and became a Collingwood supporter.

Within an hour they had come up with a plan on how Port could take control of NT similar to the Hawks, getting BHP, Rio Tinto and other mining companies on board with corporate social responsibility stuff being tied into sponsoring the club, use the increasing traffic along the completed Darwin-Adelaide railway links, that had been open for 6 or 7 years, but was only just seeing volumes take off and link in with tourism stuff.

Evan Arnold just didn't really grasp what they were putting together. My brother in-law says he gave him a - how the fu** do you know these people - type look several times.

Unfortunately Haysman had his head chopped off by the SANFL a couple of weeks later and Evan Arnold followed within a few weeks after that.

When KT and new management came in they did talk to the marketing consultant, but we didn't have any money and they wanted him to do a fully blown report on this for free - not even at mate's rates. He said no because he wasn't prepared to spend several months working on it for nothing.

The Power Community programs over the years have implemented some of the ideas discussed in that meeting. 18 months after that meeting, the AE had left Austrade, but Koch appointed him to his Sydney based advisory panel. (Rexie J I think you asked about this advisory panel a few months ago. The AE told me he hasn't been to a meeting since early 2018).

The AFL has cut us out of NT after telling us to make it our market like the Hawks and Tassie. First it was halving our away games in Darwin, then moving us to Alice, where the corporates don't exist, then ignoring all the development and community stuff when they handed out Next Generation Academy zones to the big Vic clubs and Melbourne getting the bottom 3rd of NT where we do lots of the community stuff as the APY Lands go well over the NT border and it saves Melbourne doing stuff there as they dont have the monies to commit to do much community stuff away from the week before the game.

I'm not saying if that 2011 meeting ideas were fully implemented and the AFL didn't cut our lunch in NT we would have 9,500 members there like the Hawks do in Tassie, but with some smarts and support we could have picked up 3,000 - 4,000 new members in the NT, maybe even 5,000 if we worked it really well, and who knows if we got some of the big mining companies involved doing the corporate social responsibility stuff with us, they might have come across and done straight football club sponsorship stuff.

It's almost like at every turn we are either competing with the AFL or SANFL to assist us to grow the pie. They want us to do better than what we have done, but as football organisations, they hinder us rather than help us.
It is quite clear they don't want us to win and are keen to pull the carpet from under us as soon as they don't need us anymore. They are enemies.

It is quite clear they don't want us to win and are keen to pull the carpet from under us as soon as they don't need us anymore. They are enemies.
Whilst true, the Hawks (and North) are, by virtue of still too many Victorian clubs, able to have Tasmanian games as the home team and attract Members whilst still having more games in their home state then we get.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back