2019 Membership

Remove this Banner Ad

found a membership news site where down the bottom it's telling us to join now for the 2017 season......really?

Really struggling to feel motivated about signing on for 2017 tbh.

Reckon we botched last year’s draft. There is a reason GWS were happy to let us have McCluggage. Looks good playing against kids, big deal. He’s skinny and will probably leave at the end of his first contract.

Then we blow our next pick by reaching for this Berry kid just because he is McCluggage’s mate. He looks like a plodder with no AFL attributes and even if he’s any good he will just follow McCluggage home in two years.

Don’t even get me started on the Witherden selection. His leg is a mess. Will be surprised if he can even get on the park again and if he does, will probably lose his already overrated kicking ability.

Then there is this old Fagan bloke. Such a typical Brisbane coaching appointment. There’s a reason he’s never cracked a senior coaching gig anywhere else... career assistant coach at best. And how will the players even respect a guy who never played a game of AFL? So much for turning around our culture!

At least we will finally be moved into Springfield by the start of 2018.

Last edited:
Then there is this old Fagan bloke. Such a typical Brisbane coaching appointment.
Look, I agree with the rest but this simply isn't true. He never once played in a premiership team for the Lions.

Reckon we botched last year’s draft. There is a reason GWS were happy to let us have McCluggage. Looks good playing against kids, big deal. He’s skinny and will probably leave at the end of his first contract.

Then we blow our next pick by reaching for this Berry kid just because he is McCluggage’s mate. He looks like a plodder with no AFL attributes and even if he’s any good he will just follow McCluggage home in two years.

Don’t even get me started on the Witherden selection. His leg is a mess. Will be surprised if he can even get on the park again and if he does, will probably lose his already overrated kicking ability.

Then there is this old Fagan bloke. Such a typical Brisbane coaching appointment. There’s a reason he’s never cracked a senior coaching gig anywhere else... career assistant coach at best. And how will the players even respect a guy who never played a game of AFL? So much for turning around our culture!

If there is one silver lining it looks like Beams is here for the long haul. Has really bought into the club and can't see anything getting in the way of him finishing his career as a Lion.

Noble sentiments there BD.:thumbsu:

That young fella Cox goes alright though!

Anyone got any insight into how are membership numbers are going compared with 'like for like' comparisons in previous years. I think Jivlain used to do some great graphs in days gone by (hint) - I always enjoyed his analysis.

Anyone got any insight into how are membership numbers are going compared with 'like for like' comparisons in previous years. I think Jivlain used to do some great graphs in days gone by (hint) - I always enjoyed his analysis.

Checking out last year's thread we had 14837 on Australia Day last year vs 15782 Jan 29th this year. Bit over 6% increase.

Nope, I don't have any historical records of preseason membership numbers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Update on comparison with this time last year.
7/2/2018 - 15186
7/2/2019 - 16582
Going well increase of about 9.2%.
Which would give us an end total of
2018 total 24,867 plus 9.2% = 27,154 :)
Thanks for posting - very encouraging...fingers crossed the numbers continue to climb. 27k would be fantastic at this stage of our development and would have the potential to get the Gabba roaring again!

A Roaring Gabba is a wonderful place to be!
High Five right there , 30,000 roaring fans ( mostly Lions) , that's gonna be something else .
Strangely enough so far for me, the noisiest and biggest roar and emotion came from a crowd of only 15000 .

Hi to Polkinghorn and the super sub Greeny.
What a game.

High Five right there , 30,000 roaring fans ( mostly Lions) , that's gonna be something else .
Strangely enough so far for me, the noisiest and biggest roar and emotion came from a crowd of only 15000 .

Hi to Polkinghorn and the super sub Greeny.
What a game.
The elimination final against Carlton for me! 2009
But there was, I think about 32000 there that day,
The roof lifted off the Gabba that day!

Last edited:
Bradshaw’s goal vs Carlton in the 2009 EF. Loudest Gabba roar without a shadow of a doubt.
Agreed. The atmosphere of that crowd was astonishing. I lived in Brisbane during the 09 and 10 seasons and having attended a whole manner of AFL games throughout the country with 2 and 3 times the amount of people plus numerous other sports; that game in the last quarter was without a doubt the loudest I’ve ever heard a crowd. It was simply deafening.

Bradshaw’s goal vs Carlton in the 2009 EF. Loudest Gabba roar without a shadow of a doubt.
Would loved to of been there, but I was still lost in the rugby league wilderness.
Call me a fair weather suppoter but we got right on board in 2010, finally became members in 2012.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back