2019 Membership

Remove this Banner Ad

My wife bought myself and our daughter each a Supporters Membership for Xmas.

Seriously, It shouldn't take 3+ weeks to arrive.

Instead of people making excuses for why the club or contractor can't mail out packs in a timely fashion, maybe they should be asking why such a thing happens in 2018. If an organisation is going to sell a product, it genuinely should have that product in stock, i.e the lanyard, sticker, etc, or have an expected delivery date on the item before the time of purchase.

My wife, who is not an AFL fan, is struggling to understand why it's taking so long to arrive, seeing as they're such basic items in the pack.

That's all well and good, but as TBD said, where does it say it'll be delivered before Christmas? I get why it would be frustrating IF they've told you that you'll have it before Christmas, but the last few years I've got mine post Christmas. I think 2016 was the last time I got mine pre Christmas.

Correct. And it only takes one item from the pack to be late coming into stock to delay the whole thing.

See post above.

They dont have the membership packs sitting around the office. Xmas present or not, there is no way they could say you'd have it before xmas.

In terms of excitment, they arent that great anyway. Card, lanyard maybe a sticker and/or magnet.
Once memberships go on sale, they genuinely should have all the items in stock, for some one to then be able to easily assemble the pack to mail out. It shouldn't be that difficult for a multi million/billion? dollar sporting organisation to organise.

Probably shouldn't promise a Christmas present to someone when you have no control on how it gets to you. Having said that if I was told I was getting a membership for Christmas but it wouldn't arrive until 2019 I'd still be bloody stoked.
Please read my comment above.

My wife bought myself and our daughter each a Supporters Membership for Xmas.

Seriously, It shouldn't take 3+ weeks to arrive.

Instead of people making excuses for why the club or contractor can't mail out packs in a timely fashion, maybe they should be asking why such a thing happens in 2018. If an organisation is going to sell a product, it genuinely should have that product in stock, i.e the lanyard, sticker, etc, or have an expected delivery date on the item before the time of purchase.

My wife, who is not an AFL fan, is struggling to understand why it's taking so long to arrive, seeing as they're such basic items in the pack.
Can't speak for the Lions, but for a non-AFL club that I do have some visibility into it's pretty simple - they don't get receipt of the knick knacks in the membership package until a certain date, so they can't send out any membership packages until after that date. I expect because it's advantageous to their cashflow.
Once memberships go on sale, they genuinely should have all the items in stock, for some one to then be able to easily assemble the pack to mail out. It shouldn't be that difficult for a multi million/billion? dollar sporting organisation to organise.
I understand your frustration but the majority of sales are to people buying these for game admission so there's no rush, and the rest tend to understand that they'll get their package some time before the season starts. An expected delivery date would've been a good/nice idea but maybe rather than explaining that they were Christmas presents, you could have explicitly checked to see if they'd arrive by that date? I don't remember an AFL membership package coming before Christmas so they could've explained there's no guarantee of arrival. Instead they probably assumed "oh, he'll tell the person of the present rather than requiring the tat that we send through".

Again, the packs aren't packed or sent by the club.

The other thing is that with hundred's of thousands of membership packs being sent by one organisation, they are not done individually as sales are made.
It's not as though the Lions send an email every time a purchase is made, saying "Can you send a pack to Briztoon".
They would be batched, and it is likely that they would process up to 2 - 3 weeks worth of membership sales at once, particularly early when sales would be slower than after auto-rollover is done.
Realistically, it could take 4 - 5 weeks to pack, send and deliver.

As for delivery at this time of year, I use couriers every day, and can tell you, from about the 1st of December, the entire Australian courier/freight network is chaotic. Delivery times can double.

If it's any consolation, someone tweeted on Friday, that they received theirs in the mail.

Excuses Excuses alot of friends have there's already from opposition clubs and Afl members are receiving there's if you want people to renew in november provide a better service otherwise we're better off waiting until Feb.

Excuses Excuses alot of friends have there's already from opposition clubs and Afl members are receiving there's if you want people to renew in november provide a better service otherwise we're better off waiting until Feb.

Why would you be better off waiting until Feb?

They dont have the membership packs sitting around the office. Xmas present or not, there is no way they could say you'd have it before xmas.

In terms of excitment, they arent that great anyway. Card, lanyard maybe a sticker and/or magnet.
Unless of course you have add on's like polo shirts with membership surely they could atleast send those out.

Never received mine before chrissy were plenty of others have. Not really a complaining point. I do the auto renewal aswell. Still not fussed but wouldn't mind if it arrived either.

Save my money until then I like briztoon want mine now I understand we can't attend games but I ordered other things with membership so would like to see it arrive

But you're still spending the same amount of money?

Sorry look you're totally entitled to feel that way, I just think there are surely bigger fish to fry.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reckon we’re tracking pretty well on field if people are able to allocate their club angst quota towards a postage delay from a third party mailing company.

* I’m ready for 2019!

But you're still spending the same amount of money?

Sorry look you're totally entitled to feel that way, I just think there are surely bigger fish to fry.
Yeah agree not losing sleep but just agreed with some that it could be better seemed to touch a nerve with a few

Reckon we’re tracking pretty well on field if people are able to allocate their club angst quota towards a postage delay from a third party mailing company.

**** I’m ready for 2019!
Atleast this debate has put a smile on my face because the difference of opinion has hit a nerve with some despite comments that its no big deal

Perhaps I’m missing something, but what is the need for a membership pack before Xmas anyways; is there something in it that can be used before the pre-season / season starts?:huh:
If your original intent was a Christmas gift I can understand some level of frustration if you didn't realise they often don't come that early. Especially since briztoon is talking about a supporter's membership, which isn't something you use during the season anyway.

If your original intent was a Christmas gift I can understand some level of frustration if you didn't realise they often don't come that early. Especially since briztoon is talking about a supporter's membership, which isn't something you use during the season anyway.
I can’t really explain everything here, but it’s my wife’s first time celebrating Christmas (ever), with our first child, at my parents place. And the membership is my only present (it’s the only thing I asked for).

It’s taken a little bit to explain to her why something that appears so simple, is complicated.

I can’t really explain everything here, but it’s my wife’s first time celebrating Christmas (ever), with our first child, at my parents place. And the membership is my only present (it’s the only thing I asked for).

It’s taken a little bit to explain to her why something that appears so simple, is complicated.

Can be hard ordering things this time or year, especially when there isn't any guarantee of it arriving pre christmas. I'm in a situation where i ordered my 3 year old son his first proper bed which is what he wanted for christmas and its not going to arrive in time, thanks to a company who put on their website for delivery after 5th of December, only to now be saying it hasn't passed through customs. Thats going to be a fun one to explain. One would have assumed after the 5th of december didn't mean january.

Memberships year on year have always been a bit random as to when they arrive, which is never too much of a problem given they can't be used until march. Timely reminder in both our cases that if you really require something by a certain date you really need to ask the question to make sure it is.

Atleast this debate has put a smile on my face because the difference of opinion has hit a nerve with some despite comments that its no big deal

Man, if people wanna rant about waiting for stuff, I’m waiting for the call from the PA so I can go in, get my breastbone cracked open and have a thymic tumour removed... preferably sooner rather than later so the holidays can absorb most of the recovery from the sternotomy allowing me to earn a living for my family again when the school year starts. Merry Christmas.

So yeah, I’d love the luxury of being anxious about waiting for a plastic card and a lanyard instead.

Last edited:
Man, I’m waiting for the call from the PA so I can go in, get my breastbone cracked open and have a thymic tumour removed... preferably sooner rather than later so the holidays can absorb most of the recovery from the sternotomy allowing me to earn a living for my family again when the school starts. Merry Christmas.

So yeah, I’d love the luxury of being anxious about waiting for a plastic card and a lanyard instead.
All the best TBD, I hope everything goes smoothly for you.

Man, if people wanna rant about waiting for stuff, I’m waiting for the call from the PA so I can go in, get my breastbone cracked open and have a thymic tumour removed... preferably sooner rather than later so the holidays can absorb most of the recovery from the sternotomy allowing me to earn a living for my family again when the school starts. Merry Christmas.

I don't go to doctors.They only tell you bad news.

Seriously. speedy recovery.:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back