2019 Membership

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 13, 2016
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Add a few more. Still climbing
23/7/19 : 27,712
These will also be new members going to the remaining games which should strengthen the match day crowd numbers. It is embarrassing (for them) how many friends now approach me regarding the Lions winning and openly admit to being only interested now they are playing well. They are genuinely pleased for us though and shake their heads at how the other Qld footy teams (& Australian as in Wallabies) are performing.

CarterS

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
These will also be new members going to the remaining games which should strengthen the match day crowd numbers. It is embarrassing (for them) how many friends now approach me regarding the Lions winning and openly admit to being only interested now they are playing well. They are genuinely pleased for us though and shake their heads at how the other Qld footy teams (& Australian as in Wallabies) are performing.

Found that too, funny how most of them have absolutely no shame about the fact that they are bandwagoning. Bring it on, I say, the more the merrier.

Mavlions1961

Club Legend
Jan 31, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Seattle Mariners, Seattle Seahawks
Ive got 2 season tickets on my account and trying to add a September member for each but will only let me add 1 to the cart... anyone done this online?

Can call the club tomorrow if needed.

This is a good question

I just made two separate orders. It worked for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had a few mates suddenly become Lions supporters this year. Few not members this year that will probably buy one next season. 30k should be the absolute bare minimum next season

Isn't the club given a set allocation of tickets if it makes the Grand Final? I seem to recall in the past this has caused issues with the big clubs because a lot of members have missed out notwithstanding having beeen promised "access to purchase" a GF ticket. So presumaly the guarantee has its limits and even with our modest membership we could have more members seeking tickets than there are available tickets.

Isn't the club given a set allocation of tickets if it makes the Grand Final? I seem to recall in the past this has caused issues with the big clubs because a lot of members have missed out notwithstanding having beeen promised "access to purchase" a GF ticket. So presumaly the guarantee has its limits and even with our modest membership we could have more members seeking tickets than there are available tickets.

~20,000, aka ~40k across the two teams. So I assume September Membership will be capped at around that number.

kenberger

Cancelled
Nov 13, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea
The person who I signed up for September membership with this week said they were looking at what to do re allocation of excess GF tickets to members if we get there as it hadn’t been an issue to remotely worry about since 2009. I assume that means we are well under any September member cap.

FFB1

Premiership Player
Feb 25, 2007
Melbourne Vic
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Boronia Hawks
If by some minor miracle this actually happens this year, or in the next few years, I’d really like to know how the allocation might work for September members, specifically will those who have been SM’s since its inception have access to better seats than those that have only decided to jump on board the option now? I’d hate to score a back row of the top level of the Southern Stand after being a SM since the beginning while a first year SM ends up getting front row of the second level.

Sorry if that comes across as a bit self centered but I would like to know.

FFB1

Premiership Player
Feb 25, 2007
Melbourne Vic
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Boronia Hawks
2004 all our allocation were all taken & I (& others) had to wait for for other clubs to return their unsold ticket before I could purchase one.

I missed out in 2004 (reduced capacity), ended up getting a ticket via one of my dads AFL member mates on the Thursday from memory. Scored a centre wing seat 20 rows back, perfect seat. Crap day in the end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
If by some minor miracle this actually happens this year, or in the next few years, I’d really like to know how the allocation might work for September members, specifically will those who have been SM’s since its inception have access to better seats than those that have only decided to jump on board the option now? I’d hate to score a back row of the top level of the Southern Stand after being a SM since the beginning while a first year SM ends up getting front row of the second level.

Well said and something I’d like to know too, particularly given I’ve been a September Member every year since it’s inception and effectively donating $40 a year to the club on top of other donations made to the club over all the years.

Scubaveg

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2009
Carina
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Never been a problem in the past I’ve always had a GF ticket, all four GF’s.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Scubaveg

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2009
Carina
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

In my view all September members should be treated equal. They’ve all paid the same for the membership as advertised by the club.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Well said and something I’d like to know too, particularly given I’ve been a September Member every year since it’s inception and effectively donating $40 a year to the club on top of other donations made to the club over all the years.

That's not how GF tickets work these days. The club gets allocated a certain number of tickets but they don't get to hand them out. The club submits membership account numbers to the ticketing company in buckets based off priority (I think it's usually bucket 1 - guaranteed, bucket 2 - higher priority, bucket 3 - everyone else).

The ticketing company offers up ticket balloting based off those buckets - basically everyone in bucket 1 will get a ticket, then bucket 2 up until all tickets are allocated and if they aren't all used up then bucket 3.

The ticketing company's balloting gives everyone a random ticket. You could end up paying through the nose for the premium seats or up in the boondocks. The ticketing company even says to keep enough room on your credit card for the max ticket price. The club isn't involved at any point.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
That's not how GF tickets work these days. The club gets allocated a certain number of tickets but they don't get to hand them out. The club submits membership account numbers to the ticketing company in buckets based off priority (I think it's usually bucket 1 - guaranteed, bucket 2 - higher priority, bucket 3 - everyone else).

The ticketing company offers up ticket balloting based off those buckets - basically everyone in bucket 1 will get a ticket, then bucket 2 up until all tickets are allocated and if they aren't all used up then bucket 3.

The ticketing company's balloting gives everyone a random ticket. You could end up paying through the nose for the premium seats or up in the boondocks. The ticketing company even says to keep enough room on your credit card for the max ticket price. The club isn't involved at any point.
Memories.

The 1st Grand Final I went to was the 1980 NSWRL Grand Final between Easts and Canterbury and ticketing was a lot different back then, I wrote a hand written letter to NSWRL headquarters and received back a personalized typed letter re details on how to go about obtaining a ticket. I had the process down pat when I went to the 1981 and 82 GFs. My memory fails me about how I exactly got the ticket but IIRC I went into the Brisbane CBD somewhere and purchased them.

I did go to numerous BRL Grand Finals at Lang Park pre 1980. Go Diehards!

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
This is just one section (copy & Paste) of 2019 Grand final Ticket Allocation for COMPETING CLUB MEMBERS
Link to the whole Scheme proposal is at the bottom which covers everything else (yes 25 pages).
A link to the AFL website is in the following post for those that want something that looks more official

D. SALE AND DISTRIBUTION OF TICKETS
The method for purchasing tickets differs depending upon the category (see sub-sections (a) - (k) below). Information pertaining to the sale and distribution of tickets to the AFL Grand Final is set out below under the following allocations.

1. Competing Clubs Members
(a) What is the method for purchasing tickets?
Competing Club members may purchase tickets from the designated Ticket Agent or from their competing AFL Club.
For AFL Grand Final tickets the designated ticket agent is Ticketek.
The method for purchasing tickets will vary dependent on the services offered by Ticketek and the competing AFL Clubs.
(b) Can tickets be purchased in person?
Yes. Whether this point of distribution is used will be at the discretion of the AFL, in consultation with the relevant AFL Club and Ticketek.
(c) Can tickets be purchased as a group?
Yes – Members can purchase in a group. However, to successfully purchase for each person in the group, all persons must be entitled to purchase at the relevant time and there is a limit to the number of tickets per transaction to be determined after consultation with the competing clubs.
(d) Can tickets be purchased by order made by telephone?
Provision may be made for tickets to be purchased by telephone. Whether this point of distribution is used will be at the discretion of the AFL, in consultation with the relevant AFL Clubs and Ticketek.
(e) What arrangements are there to order tickets online?
Provision may be made for tickets to be purchased on-line. Whether this point of distribution is used will be at the discretion of the AFL, in consultation with the relevant AFL Club and Ticketek.
(f) Will decentralised arrangements be made for purchase of tickets?
To ensure control, tickets may be sold via a limited number of centralised locations plus potentially over the phone and/or internet, or via a registration process to be used at the discretion of the AFL in consultation with AFL Clubs and Ticketek. The AFL, in conjunction with Ticketek, may nominate specific outlets and in doing so the AFL will endeavour to ensure that adequate access to outlets is provided for country 9 and regional members and that the locations of the outlets is adequately communicated.
(g) What is the timeframe for release of tickets for sale at all outlets and purchase modes? The AFL will determine the timeframe for purchasing tickets, which may vary depending on the competing clubs and the order of membership priority as determined by the competing Clubs.
(h) What arrangements are proposed for tickets with special seating for disabled patrons? An allocation of accessible seating and wheelchair spaces is provided to Competing Club Members. Due to the fact that these tickets may be sold from a different allocation, they may be available for purchase by the method deemed applicable by the AFL.
(i) Who should a purchaser contact with questions about access to tickets? Purchasers will be able to contact either the Club of which they are a member, the AFL or Ticketek should they have any questions.
(j) What arrangements are proposed for dealing with complaints? Complaints will be dealt with by the AFL or Ticketek and referred to the relevant Club where appropriate.
(k) Are measures proposed to prevent ticket fraud (e.g. ticket forgery, internet ticket scams)? It is the AFL’s preference for tickets to be sold via a barcode retirement program or other appropriate program, where rules and criteria are set to determine the eligibility for the purchase of tickets.

MacMum

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Memories.

The 1st Grand Final I went to was the 1980 NSWRL Grand Final between Easts and Canterbury and ticketing was a lot different back then, I wrote a hand written letter to NSWRL headquarters and received back a personalized typed letter re details on how to go about obtaining a ticket. I had the process down pat when I went to the 1981 and 82 GFs. My memory fails me about how I exactly got the ticket but IIRC I went into the Brisbane CBD somewhere and purchased them.

I did go to numerous BRL Grand Finals at Lang Park pre 1980. Go Diehards!

I remember back in the '60's (i was a little kid then;)) asking dad what he was doing and he said he was writing to get tickets to the finals...not sure if it was GF but it involved Cats and we were at the '63 GF so could've been. I also remember dad being excited to get tickets in the mail, not sure if it was same time though as we went to the footy all the time.

That was how it was done back then, first in first served.

I’ve been a September member since I signed up in 2011. $40 is good value for the extra 2 tickets you get per season. Always bring along some friends/family to a game.

I love that we are discussing how we go about getting Grand Final tickets, who would have thought it would have been a point of discussion this quickly at the end of 2016.

Nothing wrong with the supporter base getting ahead of themselves, although hopefully the players don't follow suit.

We'd be able to find out if the players are getting ahead of themselves if we can find out how many of them have signed up for September memberships too.

FFB1

Premiership Player
Feb 25, 2007
Melbourne Vic
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Boronia Hawks
When the SM initiative came in I was under the impression there was only a limited number of ‘spots’, and by continuing to pay the $40 every year you kept you spot and had priority over all other members if/when the time came to purchase a GF ticket, should we participate. Otherwise what’s the point if members can add it on at their leisure, and only if we look like a chance (like this year). Becomes a $40 raffle if there’s no limit, and doesn’t do the club any favours if people only pay up if it looks like we’re a chance.

Acknowledge I could be downright wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back