2019 Membership

Remove this Banner Ad

That's not how GF tickets work these days. The club gets allocated a certain number of tickets but they don't get to hand them out. The club submits membership account numbers to the ticketing company in buckets based off priority (I think it's usually bucket 1 - guaranteed, bucket 2 - higher priority, bucket 3 - everyone else).

The ticketing company offers up ticket balloting based off those buckets - basically everyone in bucket 1 will get a ticket, then bucket 2 up until all tickets are allocated and if they aren't all used up then bucket 3.

The ticketing company's balloting gives everyone a random ticket. You could end up paying through the nose for the premium seats or up in the boondocks. The ticketing company even says to keep enough room on your credit card for the max ticket price. The club isn't involved at any point.

So in that case how do we sit with other members of our family that are members?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

When the SM initiative came in I was under the impression there was only a limited number of ‘spots’, and by continuing to pay the $40 every year you kept you spot and had priority over all other members if/when the time came to purchase a GF ticket, should we participate. Otherwise what’s the point if members can add it on at their leisure, and only if we look like a chance (like this year). Becomes a $40 raffle if there’s no limit, and doesn’t do the club any favours if people only pay up if it looks like we’re a chance.

Acknowledge I could be downright wrong.

I'm pretty sure there are a limited number of spots, where the limit is Brisbane Lions' expected ticket allocation for a GF, e.g. about 20,000. I doubt there was anything near 20,000 purchasers of September membership before this year, and even now we'd be talking about over 70% of our 27,712 members having purchased it before the presumed allocation runs out. That seems very unlikely, especially since that total includes many many people who would have no intent or aim to attend a GF.

The club might even have only allocated 16,000 September memberships because according to an FAQ last year that is the bare minimum a single club would receive.

So in that case how do we sit with other members of our family that are members?

As per Section 5's copy and paste:

(c) Can tickets be purchased as a group?
Yes – Members can purchase in a group. However, to successfully purchase for each person in the group, all persons must be entitled to purchase at the relevant time and there is a limit to the number of tickets per transaction to be determined after consultation with the competing clubs.

So you all need to be in the same "bucket" and less than whatever the limit is (I can't remember what it was last time but I was definitely applying for two at once). You just need to enter all your membership numbers when applying for tickets.

Have been agonising over whether to get SM. IF we were to get that far, I'm not sure we we would get down for it. No idea what the cost of a ticket would be. Driving seems the most likely mode of transport, as air fares go through the roof for event weekends. Then there's the cost and difficulty of getting accommodation.
I'm sure a hell of a lot of others would rule out the trek based on those considerations.
So, of 27000 members, how many would be full season members? That 27000 includes dogs, cats, armchair and 3 gamers. So would we have 22000 full season members? Of those 22000, how many realistically, given the chance, will buy a GF ticket and make the journey, again given the cost, travel and accommodation?
If the allocation is 20000 tickets, I just can't see there being 20000 members with SM. I can't see 20000 members going.
Going to worry about it if it eventuates. (Hope it doesn't bite me on the arse).

Have been agonising over whether to get SM. IF we were to get that far, I'm not sure we we would get down for it. No idea what the cost of a ticket would be. Driving seems the most likely mode of transport, as air fares go through the roof for event weekends. Then there's the cost and difficulty of getting accommodation.
I'm sure a hell of a lot of others would rule out the trek based on those considerations.
So, of 27000 members, how many would be full season members? That 27000 includes dogs, cats, armchair and 3 gamers. So would we have 22000 full season members? Of those 22000, how many realistically, given the chance, will buy a GF ticket and make the journey, again given the cost, travel and accommodation?
If the allocation is 20000 tickets, I just can't see there being 20000 members with SM. I can't see 20000 members going.
Going to worry about it if it eventuates. (Hope it doesn't bite me on the arse).

Return ticket looks around $500 now. Can only imagine that almost doubles of Lions make the GF and demand for seats take off.

Agree on the numbers I can’t see 20,000 members looking for tickets, the large majority of which would be traveling. Flights, accommodation, GF ticket, food drinks etc. has to be looking close to a $2k weekend for one person by the time it’s done.

We never had problems gettin tickets in the glory days and there where a lot more members then.

My cat is a September member.

I would have thought there would have been 500-2000 September members prior to this season.

And I reckon lucky to be 10000 now. That leaves 10000 tickets for other members. Surely it's just maths.

I’m guessing it’s 2000-5000 max now.

If by some minor miracle this actually happens this year, or in the next few years, I’d really like to know how the allocation might work for September members, specifically will those who have been SM’s since its inception have access to better seats than those that have only decided to jump on board the option now? I’d hate to score a back row of the top level of the Southern Stand after being a SM since the beginning while a first year SM ends up getting front row of the second level.

Sorry if that comes across as a bit self centered but I would like to know.
It's a random ballot

To take out September Membership, do we have to buy the full season 11 home game membership even if you live in Melbourne? I Can't make it this year but asking for future if we make it.

If you got a regular Vic membership it should work, I have a GA 11 game and a Victorian membership and I use the Vic for a GF guarantee

To take out September Membership, do we have to buy the full season 11 home game membership even if you live in Melbourne? I Can't make it this year but asking for future if we make it.

Both the Traditional Vic and Vic Plus memberships include 5 Melbourne games and 5 Gabba games and is counted as a full season game access membership.
September membership is available to both.
*Available as an upgrade to full season game access members only

I got it on my Traditional Victorian as well.

I have a question, I have a friend who is an unashamed bandwagoner and has asked me if it is too late to buy a membership + September upgrade? Is a casual fan and has no shame in saying he is doing this to get a GF ticket if we make it. Are the memberships going at a reduced price?

Cheers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have a question, I have a friend who is an unashamed bandwagoner and has asked me if it is too late to buy a membership + September upgrade? Is a casual fan and has no shame in saying he is doing this to get a GF ticket if we make it. Are the memberships going at a reduced price?

Cheers
Easiest and quickest thing to do would be ring the clubs membership line- 1800 216 885

Cheers

Nope it’s not to late. He can do both so long as he does it before the last H&A game.

Does the 11 game membership come with a guest pass? I'll be back from working overseas during late August to November. I was thinking of purchasing a GA Gabba 11 game membership + September membership. If I purchase this will it include a guest pass for the remaining 3 matches? My brother would definitely want to use the 11 game membership for the last 3 games (bandwagoner Broncos fan) if he can use a guest pass to bring along a friend. Then I could use the September membership for the real stuff.

Does the 11 game membership come with a guest pass? I'll be back from working overseas during late August to November. I was thinking of purchasing a GA Gabba 11 game membership + September membership. If I purchase this will it include a guest pass for the remaining 3 matches? My brother would definitely want to use the 11 game membership for the last 3 games (bandwagoner Broncos fan) if he can use a guest pass to bring along a friend. Then I could use the September membership for the real stuff.

Two guest passes. September membership comes with a further 2.

Two guest passes. September membership comes with a further 2.
Not for GA.
** Guest tickets are only available for selected matches at the Gabba or Melbourne mateches played at Marvel Stadium. QLD GA Season members are not eligible for free guest tickets as part of the September Member upgrade
GA also doesn't get guest passes for regular season either https://membership.lions.com.au/2019-ga-11
They did do some promotions this year where GA members were offered guest passes, but that's not a normal part of GA membership.

FYI for anyone interested... can buy a 3 game membership ($150 for my section) but cannot add September onto it YET... said there will be info in the next week come out regarding September upgrade for 3 game memberships but guaranteed there will be an option for it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back