2019 Membership

Skoob

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 6, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
FYI for anyone interested... can buy a 3 game membership ($150 for my section) but cannot add September onto it YET... said there will be info in the next week come out regarding September upgrade for 3 game memberships but guaranteed there will be an option for it.
That should make long time September Members happy.
I'm certain that when I looked earlier in the year, it was only available as an add-on for Season Reserved Seating members. So they have already made the concession to allow GA members to purchase.
3 gamers is obviously to gouge some more $40 add-ons from the public. What this means is that people who are not Lions supporters can much more easily buy their way onto a priority list for GF tickets.
By doing so (opening up the SM allowance) the club could well be denying long time supporters access to tickets in the interest of raising a few extra dollars.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I'm certain that when I looked earlier in the year, it was only available as an add-on for Season Reserved Seating members. So they have already made the concession to allow GA members to purchase.
3 gamers is obviously to gouge some more $40 add-ons from the public. What this means is that people who are not Lions supporters can much more easily buy their way onto a priority list for GF tickets.
By doing so (opening up the SM allowance) the club could well be denying long time supporters access to tickets in the interest of raising a few extra dollars.
I'm almost certain that the club has said that they would never offer more September Member memberships than there would be tickets to the GF available to us so if you are a September Member you will get a ticket to the GF if we are in it.

The club isn't that stupid....

Oct 11, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'm almost certain that the club has said that they would never offer more September Member memberships than there would be tickets to the GF available to us so if you are a September Member you will get a ticket to the GF if we are in it.
There is a cap to SM for a reason, we would never sell more SM than available tickets.

carnaroys08

Cancelled
Sep 4, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Cowboys, Storm.
I spoke to the Membership Department last November about September Memberships (SM's) & the lovely staff member said there would be a cap of 7,000 on SM's & those who have purchased them for this year have the first option to purchase for 2020. The other week I rang out of interest & was told there were a bit over 900 of them still available. I'd reckon they would have almost reached the stated 7,000 limit. Even though this is what the Club said, I appreciate things can & often do change.
The Mod Squad Guru's might see fit to gain clarity from Lion's Insider on this subject.

edit: I see Lions Insider has made comment.

Last edited:

carnaroys08

Cancelled
Sep 4, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Cowboys, Storm.

Your post kind of reminded me of the 1967 Comedy "The Producers". The Club could sell 60,000 September Memberships in the hope we bomb out lol.

Skoob

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 6, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The club isn't that stupid....
There is a cap to SM for a reason, we would never sell more SM than available tickets.
I understand there to be a cap, however what I am talking about is that by opening SM to virtually everyone, it is forcing our hand to purchase one. Where before, or even now, a relatively small number of members had SM and therefore a good chance of ordinary members getting one of the club's allocated tickets, now, hundreds or even thousands will have access.
As it stands, those without SM are happy to stand in line or whatever it takes to get a ticket after SM are taken care of. Those left over tickets will now be greatly reduced.
I'm happy to pay for a GF ticket, should we make it, and should I be in a position to go. I wasn't keen on spending $40 on what is essentially a gamble or insurance policy for something that may not eventuate.
A 3 game member might have to invest $148 to have SM. The uptake could be huge, and by non-supporters.
I feel forced to spend $40 that I didn't feel I needed to. Once the allocation is gobbled up, there is now more likely to be good supporters missing out.
My decision I guess, but 3 gamers getting access seems a very cheap way to gain priority.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I understand there to be a cap, however what I am talking about is that by opening SM to virtually everyone, it is forcing our hand to purchase one. Where before, or even now, a relatively small number of members had SM and therefore a good chance of ordinary members getting one of the club's allocated tickets, now, hundreds or even thousands will have access.
As it stands, those without SM are happy to stand in line or whatever it takes to get a ticket after SM are taken care of. Those left over tickets will now be greatly reduced.
I'm happy to pay for a GF ticket, should we make it, and should I be in a position to go. I wasn't keen on spending $40 on what is essentially a gamble or insurance policy for something that may not eventuate.
A 3 game member might have to invest $148 to have SM. The uptake could be huge, and by non-supporters.
I feel forced to spend $40 that I didn't feel I needed to. Once the allocation is gobbled up, there is now more likely to be good supporters missing out.
My decision I guess, but 3 gamers getting access seems a very cheap way to gain priority.
Well explained Skoob, I get what you mean now.... eg. Theoretically if a Tigers supporter/member thought they would have trouble obtaining a GF ticket and were confident they would make it they could purchase a 3 game membership + September Member add on for $148, on the other hand non Lions supporters would be extremely unlikely to purchase 11 game prime/premium memberships + SM add on.

Oct 29, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Blazers/Heat, ORST beavers
From what I can tell, our memberships are still on the cheaper side than most. I gladly pay the extra $40 for the option each year since the total cost is still less than a lot of clubs for their basic membership packages.

Oct 11, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
From what I can tell, our memberships are still on the cheaper side than most. I gladly pay the extra $40 for the option each year since the total cost is still less than a lot of clubs for their basic membership packages.
They are some of the cheapest because we effectively didn't raise prices for nearly a decade.

Skoob

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 6, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It's not just a matter of cost. The fairness of opening it up to literally everyone, a month out from finals is the issue.
Lions_Insider can you confirm the change to allow access for GA members was quite recent?
Was this communicated?
Also, can you confirm what the cap is on SM, and has that been adjusted since the start of the season?

Aug 17, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Memberships are released as of today, so far about 112 members so assuming the auto renewal won't kick in.

Interesting that the September Add-On is still available so I'd suspect more people will snap that up this year.

Berry is the main figure on the website :D

Less than 9 months after the first set of memberships were out, we have now reached 28,000 members for the first time in 14 years.

Oct 11, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It's not just a matter of cost. The fairness of opening it up to literally everyone, a month out from finals is the issue.
Lions_Insider can you confirm the change to allow access for GA members was quite recent?
Was this communicated?
Also, can you confirm what the cap is on SM, and has that been adjusted since the start of the season?
When we last made finals, GA wasn't a product, as you needed a reserve seat. So when GA was created, the 1-3 weeks of finals were included, but not the Grand Final.

The change to allow access was recent, yes, as it became pertinent for the first time in a decade. We've done a soft launch of it the last few weeks (not a month out from finals) which has allowed some members to upgrade themselves already online. When we finalise our finals ticketing comms for sharing it will be included in that.

Cap of SM is 8,000, has been that # for a while.

Skoob

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 6, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
When we last made finals, GA wasn't a product, as you needed a reserve seat. So when GA was created, the 1-3 weeks of finals were included, but not the Grand Final.

The change to allow access was recent, yes, as it became pertinent for the first time in a decade. We've done a soft launch of it the last few weeks (not a month out from finals) which has allowed some members to upgrade themselves already online. When we finalise our finals ticketing comms for sharing it will be included in that.

Thanks for the clarification.

My assertion about opening it up to everyone, a month out from finals was in respect to comments that SM may be opened up to include 3 game members.
No issue with GA season members, as I am a GA member.
I have no issue opening it up to fill the cap at 8000 (now the cap has been confirmed) as long as GA season members have been made aware of their inclusion and been given the opportunity first.

Thanks again Love your work.

TheMan_Bun

Debutant
Aug 1, 2019
Adelaide
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Hey Guys, long time lurker first-time poster.

I'm an Adelaide based fan, been following the Lions since the early '00s where I was probably too young to appreciate our success. I decided this year to purchase a Supporter Membership as I was only able to attend a couple of games but still wanted to support the club anyway.

I'm just wondering what Priority 2 access to GF tickets (should we make it) means for me?

Thanks

Scubaveg

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2009
Carina
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Personally I think this is wrong. My brother only a week or so ago purchased a full season membership for no other reason then being able to buy the September membership. And now three game memberships can purchase a September membership. He wasn’t told this at the time and if he was he would have saved himself $90 odd dollars and just bought the three game membership. Very bad form by the club in my view.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Aug 17, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Personally I think this is wrong. My brother only a week or so ago purchased a full season membership for no other reason then being able to buy the September membership. And now three game memberships can purchase a September membership. He wasn’t told this at the time and if he was he would have saved himself $90 odd dollars and just bought the three game membership. Very bad form by the club in my view.

Did he ask the club is 3 game members are eligible for September memberships? Not sure you can blame the club when he only bought the full membership to ensure he gets final tickets.

Skoob

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 6, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

1. I don't think there has been any official confirmation from the club that 3 gamers getting access will eventuate, just a couple of BF posters saying so and one of those had his wires crossed about what and why was being offered. It so far is not the case, so he couldn't have bought a 3 game membership and SM.
2. As long as the cap remains unchanged, there should be no issue with gradually opening access to sell remaining SM. Reserved seat mambers have had all year to purchase, and GA season members have had weeks. If there are still 1000 SM available, they should be sold. (As long as the change/offer is communicated to season members first).
3. The product isn't designed to be something people buy memberships for. If someone wants to pay membership this late in the piece, just to access a GF ticket, tough luck on the cost. If someone's prepared to pay $230 just to get access to a ticket that isn't even guaranteed, I'm not convinced they desrve to save $80 or $90

Scubaveg

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2009
Carina
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Did he ask the club is 3 game members are eligible for September memberships? Not sure you can blame the club when he only bought the full membership to ensure he gets final tickets.

Yes he did and was told it wasn’t eligible for September membership. This is why he bought the full season membership. He’s pretty dirty about it too.

Scubaveg

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2009
Carina
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
1. I don't think there has been any official confirmation from the club that 3 gamers getting access will eventuate, just a couple of BF posters saying so and one of those had his wires crossed about what and why was being offered. It so far is not the case, so he couldn't have bought a 3 game membership and SM.
2. As long as the cap remains unchanged, there should be no issue with gradually opening access to sell remaining SM. Reserved seat mambers have had all year to purchase, and GA season members have had weeks. If there are still 1000 SM available, they should be sold. (As long as the change/offer is communicated to season members first).
3. The product isn't designed to be something people buy memberships for. If someone wants to pay membership this late in the piece, just to access a GF ticket, tough luck on the cost. If someone's prepared to pay $230 just to get access to a ticket that isn't even guaranteed, I'm not convinced they desrve to save $80 or $90

His issue is he was told one thing and now it sounds like the club could be doing the complete opposite of what he was told. He’s out of pocket as a result, he bought one for his missus too so he’s out $180.

Skoob

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 6, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
His issue is he was told one thing and now it sounds like the club could be doing the complete opposite of what he was told. He’s out of pocket as a result, he bought one for his missus too so he’s out $180.

But a week or so ago, 3 game members didn't have access. Still don't. He hasn't been lied to or misled. September membership might sell out before it's opened up to 3 game members.
No issue here.

If you jump on late that is what happens. Cant expect to hop on last minute and complain about everything. The club gets allocated a certain number of tickets for the GF. They sell the septemeber member upgrades within this amount to guarantee tickets to our members. It would be silly for the club not to make sure this number is full. So when you get to the pointy end of the season and it looks like it is going to fall short, the club should open that door. Up to the individual to run the waiting risk or not.

Back