Analysis 2019 Midfield set up

Remove this Banner Ad

Morning_Fog

Premiership Player
Jun 24, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
In the 2018 Draft Needs thread, Bicks was discussing the need to draft a few midfielders who had a different set of skills to what we have now. More speed and spread from the contest I think he was discussing and this would allow any future midfield to have a noticeable 'Point of Difference' to what we have now.

Rather than go off topic, I am making this thread to discuss the future direction of our midfield.

My questions are, do we need more speed or do we already have that type of player on our list. Can we manufacture that type of player or should we be ignoring the likes to Jake Lukosous and Issac Rankin to draft in speed?

what is your preferred midfield unit Wing, Centre man, Win. Ruck, rover and ruck rover.

My ideal 6 would be

C: Seedsman - B Crouch - B Gibbs
R: Jacobs - M Crouch - R Sloane

Then we can have Brodie Smith, Rory Laird, Rory Atkins, Wayne Milera, Riley Knight and Jordan Gullucci running through the midfield.

and Does Tom Doedee have a future as a midfielder or should he be simply a key back and just leave him there?

Won’t make a difference, if Campo is still there he’s using the same flawed setups he’s used since 2010 + the player running off the back of the square thing at centre bounces Phil Walsh told him to do in 2015, you try telling him differently... He’s not wrong you’re wrong!

I always thought Brodie Smith should of been tried a lot more as an actual midfielder at stoppages and centre bounces in his career, it’s where he played at under 18 level and it might of added a different dimension to us especially after Dangerfield left but you know ‘keep doing the same thing at the AFC’ and after that knee it’s unlikely that will ever happen anyway.

In the 2018 Draft Needs thread, Bicks was discussing the need to draft a few midfielders who had a different set of skills to what we have now. More speed and spread from the contest I think he was discussing and this would allow any future midfield to have a noticeable 'Point of Difference' to what we have now.

Rather than go off topic, I am making this thread to discuss the future direction of our midfield.

My questions are, do we need more speed or do we already have that type of player on our list. Can we manufacture that type of player or should we be ignoring the likes to Jake Lukosous and Issac Rankin to draft in speed?

what is your preferred midfield unit Wing, Centre man, Win. Ruck, rover and ruck rover.

My ideal 6 would be

C: Seedsman - B Crouch - B Gibbs
R: Jacobs - M Crouch - R Sloane

Then we can have Brodie Smith, Rory Laird, Rory Atkins, Wayne Milera, Riley Knight and Jordan Gullucci running through the midfield.

and Does Tom Doedee have a future as a midfielder or should he be simply a key back and just leave him there?
Gallucci just dosent get enough of the ball to be a midfielder at this point. He is a cameo player.

Losing Seeds, BCrouch in the midfield have hurt us in the speed department this year. Then add Smith and McGovern for other chunks of the season. These are 4 quality players for us who are also relatively quick from defense, midfield and forward.
The quality is there, just need to see more of them playing and at the same time preferably!

Also I think the ruck setup needs some serious tinkering. Jacobs is too slow and does not cover the ground well enough to be putting any sort of pressure on the opposition. If his ruck work isn't up to standard in a given match, then effectively we're playing one man down, because his marking/defensive pressure is barely noticeable. This thread is about getting the right midfielders for next year, as well as having the right ruck setup.

Not much will change if we're still rolling out Sam Jacobs' inanimate corpse each week next year

It is imperative we add 1 or 2 long term rucking options this pre season, however I am happy to give him one more Porte season to see how he will go next yeat.

Pre season training last summer was a joke and I am not writing him off just yet.

It is imperative we add 1 or 2 long term rucking options this pre season, however I am happy to give him one more Porte season to see how he will go next yeat.

Pre season training last summer was a joke and I am not writing him off just yet.

We could strap Lachie Murphy to Ben Jarmans shoulders and get more presence around the ground then Jacobs at the moment. I don't think it's a pre season issue, I think the game has genuinely gone past him. Doesn't help our Midfield set ups are all geared around him winning a hit out to advantage every single time though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best 22 assuming everyone fit & in form...

B: Brown, Talia, Doedee
HB: Smith, Keath, Laird
C: Seedsman, Mrouch, Knight
HF: Lynch, Walker, Douglas
F: Betts, Jenkins, McGovern
R: Jacobs, Sloane, Brouch
I: Milera, Greenwood, Gibbs, Gallucci

Would like see us rotate more through the midfield next year, which we did at times this year.

Whilst Mrouch will be in the pivot... Sloane, Brouch, Knight, Gibbs & Douglas can all mix it up as inside/outside as needed.

Also, would like to see us try Milera & Laird at times through the midfield... which also means we can use Gibbs & Sloane across HB. The best Hawks & Cats sides had deeper midfield rotations.

Douglas may end up on the fringe & we probably need to manage him next year.

Hopefully we add some new SA talent in the draft to add some pace.

Who cares what personnel we use, Campo will never get the most out of them
What is more pertinent is it won't matter if we don't fix the fitness & conditioning staff so we get our best players in the park most weeks & they can run out a full four quarters.

Burton/Hass are a far bigger problem than Campo... but I would like Francou to move to midfield coach given that is his background.

Gallucci just dosent get enough of the ball to be a midfielder at this point. He is a cameo player.
Dangerfield didn't get much early for us either...nor did Sloane.

Let's judge Gooch in a couple of years when he has 50 games under his belt.

Still early days & he does some nice things...but agree needs to work on being in the game more.

Last edited:
Dangerfield didn't get much early for us either...not did Sloane.

Let's judge Gooch in a couple of years when he has 50 games under his belt.

Still early days & he does some nice things...but agree needs to work on being in the game more.
The same people were likely writing off Milera last year too. Galluci has shown enough this year to suggest he'll become a good player. For lots of these guys it's their 3rd-4th year in the system that they start really showing what they've got and before it they're mostly cameo players.

Best 22 assuming everyone fit & in form...

B: Brown, Talia, Doedee
HB: Smith, Keath, Laird
C: Seedsman, Mrouch, Knight
HF: Lynch, Walker, Douglas
F: Betts, Jenkins, McGovern
R: Jacobs, Sloane, Brouch
I: Milera, Greenwood, Gibbs, Gallucci

Would like see us rotate more through the midfield next year, which we did at times this year.

Whilst Mrouch will be in the pivot... Sloane, Brouch, Knight, Gibbs & Douglas can all mix it up as inside/outside as needed.

Also, would like to see us try Milera & Laird at times through the midfield... which also means we can use Gibbs & Sloane across HB. The best Hawks & Cats sides had deeper midfield rotations.

Douglas may end up on the fringe & we probably need to manage him next year.

Hopefully we add some new SA talent in the draft to add some pace.
Swap Douglas with Rankine and your on a winner

Galluci suffers from looking like Douglas, if you are looking for a spare option and you think you see Douglas, you are going to think twice about honouring his lead. You can see he has tried to do something about it by growing a Mo but it isn't enough, people aren't giving him the ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back