2019 Midfield

Remove this Banner Ad

BUMP!

Our midfield has been shown up 2 weeks running.

Current midfield players- Connor McFadyen, Corey Lyons, Tom Joyce, Jarryd Lyons, Dayne Zorko, Tom Berry, Lachie Neale, Ely Smith, Jarrod Berry, Hugh McCluggage, Ben Keays, Ryan Bastinac, Brandon Starcevich, Rhys Matheison, Mitch Robinson.

Purely outside mids/wing types- Tom Cutler, Lewy Taylor, Jacob Allison, Charlie Cameron.

Future mids?- Cameron Rayner, Zac Bailey, Noah Answerth, Cedric Cox(wing),

1- Is our midfield mix right, list wise and on field right now?
2- Is our next premiership midfield on our list now?
3- What do we need?

IMO we need a couple of wings with run and spread who can also hold their own in contested ball situations, can Cutler, Bailey, Cox, Cameron and/or Allison fill that role or do we need to draft/trade for it?

From what I read and watched pre the draft Smith Joyce, T.Berry and Answerth could really add something to our midfield if they fulfill their potential.

Neale and Zorko are stars, Bez snr and Bags could both be stars.
The rest are either likely role players at best (Matho, Basti, Lyonsx2, Robbo, Keayes as a mid but i like what he has shown up forward lately, Allison) or they are too young to know what we have yet.
Cameron and Taylor I want to see as a HFF so he can impact up the ground while also kicking goals.

We were never going to play finals this year, just need to stick with #TheProcess and keep developing this young team.

The rest are either likely role players at best (Matho, Basti, Lyonsx2, Robbo, Keayes as a mid but i like what he has shown up forward lately, Allison) or they are too young to know what we have yet.
Cameron and Taylor I want to see as a HFF so he can impact up the ground while also kicking goals.

We were never going to play finals this year, just need to stick with #TheProcess and keep developing this young team.

Is Zorko still a star?

Unfortunately we need guys like JLyons, Robbo, Bundy, Matho and Bastinac to step up to be a chance for finals but they've all regressed. Might need to be aggressive at the trade table again to find that senior mid we need.

A lot of supposition, supposed "potential" and if's involved BUT I like/don't mind the look of this midfield for a flag tilt from 2021 on.

McInerney, Neale, McCluggage, J.Berry, T.Berry, Zorko, E.Smith, Starcevich, Rayner, Bailey, Joyce.

Cox, Cutler(yep I still think he can be a very good player for us), Cameron on the wings.

It would be a massive upside for us if Rayner can improve his endurance and be a 50/50 mid/forward.

Probably need to go to the trade or FA table again for a B+ to elite grade mid, come on down Stephen Coniglio:D.

Is Zorko still a star?
Unfortunately we need guys like JLyons, Robbo, Bundy, Matho and Bastinac to step up to be a chance for finals but they've all regressed. Might need to be aggressive at the trade table again to find that senior mid we need.
a chance for finals when? This year was never realistic, in a few years time who knows how many of the young players currently on the list will have developed in to those roles. But if you go and trade in a player or two now you are likely giving up on the youngsters as they wont get the required opportunity to develop.

Is Zorko still a star?

I thought Zorks was back on for about 10 minutes last night - was zipping around the ground, picking the ball up clean and setting up the play. Then he completely disappeared.

We don't really have the capacity to do it right now but I think the sooner we can move him to a semi-permanent half-forward or wing spot the better. I don't even mind the idea of putting him in the back line but not sure how he would go defensively in the air.

I wonder how much Bez getting glandular fever has affected where he is being played too. He's played much more wing than he has previously but I think we've missed his bigger body in the middle. May be a concern that he won't hold up physically in there if he lost weight - not that playing wing is that different from being in the middle, but it is weird we haven't tried it more.

Teams like Port and Geelong have played a fair few youngsters this year and it's working out great.

Don't understand Fagan's reluctance to blood some fresh players, especially when we need some energy and speed.
Fages rationalised his approach in the post match presser...we won the first three games so no need to change a winning team. We lost last week and he gave them the chance at redemption. Now 2 poor losses so logically time to look at changes. Of course having Andrews and Matho injured may compromise more outs.

Lyons & Matho, when confronted by a top team are too slow, lack endurance and their disposal is ordinary - to say the least. IMO Berry jr is not physically mature enough yet, but Ely Smith should debut this week. Big, strong, elite runner with good inside skills. He is one that will develop quicker at the top level. IMHO.

Lyons & Matho, when confronted by a top team are too slow, lack endurance and their disposal is ordinary - to say the least. IMO Berry jr is not physically mature enough yet, but Ely Smith should debut this week. Big, strong, elite runner with good inside skills. He is one that will develop quicker at the top level. IMHO.

We might be able to afford one of them playing but not both

Everyone thought we got the deal of the century with lyons especially Aftee the JLT . Bar west coast game he has been shown to be nothing but a list clogger . Went to 19 centre bounces the other night and didn’t win 1 . Can’t run stewie dew and suns copped a lot of flack over summer about letting him go they were spot on

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeh well no offence we all have opinions, I hope the players and Coaches still believe we could make it into finals, as I do.
if we win one of the next two games we are still in the mix.

We can still win 12 or 13 games.

Reckon we have one of the best midfields in the competition now. Zorko, Neale, Lyons, Berry, McCluggage, Robinson is a pretty good setup.

When Rayner gets his fitness up to scratch will be the best - if the aim is to eventually move Rayner to the mid field

When Rayner gets his fitness up to scratch will be the best - if the aim is to eventually move Rayner to the mid field
I'm have no expectation of Rayner moving in to the midfield. It would be great if he eventually develops the tank to do so, but I'm not sure if he will ever develop that sort of endurance.

I'm have no expectation of Rayner moving in to the midfield. It would be great if he eventually develops the tank to do so, but I'm not sure if he will ever develop that sort of endurance.
Rayner looked really good coming through the centre last week including when he started in the middle at centre bounces.

Its really pleasing to see that he is looking more and more likely by the week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back