Position 2019 Midfielders

Remove this Banner Ad

How I imagine you walk around:

View attachment 620680

He’s been in my side a few times this pre season. However when he is I always wake up in the middle of the night with cold sweats from dreaming about how easily tagged out of a game he is. Always revert back to trading in Merret.

Crows draw and those early home games

It'll be Sloane or MCrouch

Maybe this year it wont change.or maybe all of them will.. Who knows really
But im backing Dusty to get back up there at the least.

Maybe it won't - but every year I keep looking back seems to be the same. Dating all the way back to the 2006-2007 seasons, the most out of a top 10 that has remained the same is 6 (2012 to 2013). Ablett, Swan, Pendlebury, Dangerfield, Selwood (supercoach hall of famers) and Watson. Seems like a huge call to say "maybe it won't change, who knows" - would be defying years upon years of it.

Interestingly, out of the 120 top 10 spots from 2006 to 2018, there are 37 times it's been backed up (my spreadsheet was becoming messy by this stage so maybe small miscalculations - and I think footywire uses finals whereas tooserious doesn't, I used tooserious) - Ablett was 8 of them, Pendlebury 5, Swan 4, Dangerfield 4, Selwood 3 (24 out of the 37 times).

Hope Bevo understands that if Libba is to play in the seniors it has to be as an inside midfielder and nothing else.
Daniel, Libba has only one game, as a midfielder ..... unless god forbid Bevo plays him as a small pressure forward ??

Maybe it won't - but every year I keep looking back seems to be the same. Dating all the way back to the 2006-2007 seasons, the most out of a top 10 that has remained the same is 6 (2012 to 2013). Ablett, Swan, Pendlebury, Dangerfield, Selwood (supercoach hall of famers) and Watson. Seems like a huge call to say "maybe it won't change, who knows" - would be defying years upon years of it.

Interestingly, out of the 120 top 10 spots from 2006 to 2018, there are 37 times it's been backed up (my spreadsheet was becoming messy by this stage so maybe small miscalculations - and I think footywire uses finals whereas tooserious doesn't, I used tooserious) - Ablett was 8 of them, Pendlebury 5, Swan 4, Dangerfield 4, Selwood 3 (24 out of the 37 times).

The current crop are all still in or entering their prime. Im finding it hard to see who drop out of the top priced mids.

We have already lost titch due to injury. Which is why we lost fyfe in the past so there is 1 down.

Cripps - highly probable he stays as a top 8 mid.
Fyfe - will score well if he plays but injury prone. Could drop because of that
Macrae - Huge last year. Just entering his prime. A drop off is possible but even at 10 -15 average drop he remains as a top 8 mid
Kelly - a lot concerned about the tag but if fully fit can go 115+ for the year
Neale - has a ceiling but if the lions increase his tog can stay in the top 8. Will be there abouts either way
Oliver - Dual shoulder surgery and viney back to steal points are the doubts. Prob the most likley to drop off but history has show plenty of stronger midfield groups boost each others scoring in successful years which I am tipping the Demons to have. See cats 07-09, pies 10-11, saints 09.
Treloar - slight chance if he plays every game more of a outside play which limits his ceiling for sc 10-15 range
Cogs - not sure on him. Feel maybe last year as good its gets so just outside the top 8 like treloar if he plays every game. But I could be wrong.
Gaff - see treloar
Yeo - i see him as a player that could actually make the jump into sp status. Has a very sc friendly game and can score highly but has been inconsistent however at 25 and just in his 2nd year as a full time mid he has scope for improvement.
Duncan - havent thought much about him but with the cats midfield transitioning could step up. Seems to have a clear ceiling though. 10 -20 range.
Jelwood - reducing mid minutes apparently very unlikely at his age
Callan ward - will be the same he has for the last 3 years 10 - 20 range maybe drop because of hopper and taranto.
Bont - if fit and playing full time mid could be a sp.115 + but role still up in the air
Dusty - i am tipping to get back in there after overcoming the niggle that held him back last year. Wont be needed up forward because of Lynch and caddy now.
Pendles - see jelwood
Last few probables
Zerrett and Brayshaw see treloar and gaff
Matt Crouch like neale high possesion high cp but low tog and d/e. Will need to play every game. Unlikely to be top 5. But a chance for top 8.

Last edited:
The current crop are all still in or entering their prime. Im finding it hard to see who drop out of the top priced mids.

We have already lost titch due to injury. Which is why we lost fyfe in the past so there is 1 down.

Cripps - highly probable he stays as a top 8 mid.
Fyfe - will score well if he plays but injury prone. Could drop because of that
Macrae - Huge last year. Just entering his prime. A drop off is possible but even at 10 -15 average drop he remains as a top 8 mid
Kelly - a lot concerned about the tag but if fully fit can go 115+ for the year
Neale - has a ceiling but if the lions increase his tog can stay in the top 8. Will be there abouts either way
Oliver - Dual shoulder surgery and viney back to steal points are the doubts. Prob the most likley to drop off but history has show plenty of stronger midfield groups boost each others scoring in successful years which I am tipping the Demons to have. See cats 07-09, pies 10-11, saints 09.
Treloar - slight chance if he plays every game more of a outside play which limits his ceiling for sc 10-15 range
Cogs - not sure on him. Feel maybe last year as good its gets so just outside the top 8 like treloar if he plays every game. But I could be wrong.
Gaff - see treloar
Yeo - i see him as a player that could actually make the jump into sp status. Has a very sc friendly game and can score highly but has been inconsistent however at 25 and just in his 2nd year as a full time mid he has scope for improvement.
Duncan - havent thought much about him but with the cats midfield transitioning could step up. Seems to have a clear ceiling though. 10 -20 range.
Jelwood - reducing mid minutes apparently very unlikely at his age
Callan ward - will be the same he has for the last 3 years 10 - 20 range maybe drop because of hopper and taranto.
Bont - if fit and playing full time mid could be a sp.115 + but role still up in the air
Dusty - i am tipping to get back in there after overcoming the niggle that held him back last year. Wont be needed up forward because of Lynch and caddy now.
Pendles - see jelwood
Last few probables
Zerrett and Brayshaw see treloar and gaff
Matt Crouch like neale high possesion high cp but low tog and d/e. Will need to play every game. Unlikely to be top 5. But a chance for top 8.

Good write up :thumbsu:

Your feels on the following?
Sloane -
Zorko -
Parker -
JPK -
Redden -
Ross -
Steele -
JOM -
Shiel -

Sloane -
Zorko -
Parker -
JPK -
Redden -
Ross -
Steele -
JOM -
Shiel -
Steele is interesting :think:..... re the Crows, reckon there’ll be point stealing.. Gibbs, Sloane, Matt and Brad Crouch ..... Gibbs will be better 2nd year

Last edited:

Sloane -
Zorko -
Parker -
JPK -
Redden -
Ross -
Steele -
JOM -
Shiel -

Thanks mate. Im prob way off on a few but just my thoughts

Sloane - burned me badly when I had him and on my never again list but can score huge.
Highly susceptible to the tag. Unlikely to be a top 8 mid. Has only averaged over 110 twice but with the crouchs and gibbs for support will finish in that 10 - 20 range so presents some value to start. If he goes huge early

Zorko - again very likely to be the most tagged as he can be damaging and it works on him. His value is in drawing attention away from neale lol. Lacks the support of Sloane. Outside to top 15 mids imo.

Parker - too inconsitent to pick. Would be a gun if longmire left him on the ball fulltime.
Might present value as player to get when he is cheap if cash is tight.

JPK will maintain his last average at best. Even as value pick there will be better options.
Sc relevance fading as swans look to refresh their midfield.

Redden - hadnt thought much about him tbh. Underpiced if he keeps his role after coming back from the sc wilderness. Could be a decent POD. But there are prob safer options like matt crouch for just 30k more.

Ross - seems fully priced not sure there is much upside.

Steele - like redden i havent given him much thought. I know the saints boys are big on him and I see he finished strong last year. But ill be honest the saints likely struggles will put me off. But im going full on guns n rookies. So im prob not the best judge for this type of pick.

JOM - again not on my radar - do they still have to manage his knees? That could put a celing on his scoring. Very speculative pick imo despite people assuming he will score a lot more just coz titch isnt there.

Shiel - rookie year aside never been sc relevant. Dont expect that to change.

Point sharing is an interesting phenomenon.

Sometimes you get teams like Geelong last year with Ablett, Danger, Selwood, Duncan, Menegola, and then you have Hawthorn where Titch is scoring 22 points more per game than his next closest teammate, and 35 more than the next closest rival midfielder.

You wonder when it is and isn't a boogeyman.

Steele is interesting :think:..... re the Crows, reckon there’ll be point stealing.. Gibbs, Sloane, Matt and Brad Crouch ..... Gibbs will be better 2nd year

Or they do better because they win more of the ball as a unit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Point sharing is an interesting phenomenon.

Sometimes you get teams like Geelong last year with Ablett, Danger, Selwood, Duncan, Menegola, and then you have Hawthorn where Titch is scoring 22 points more per game than his next closest teammate, and 35 more than the next closest rival midfielder.

You wonder when it is and isn't a boogeyman.

Its very much player dependant and if the team is a winning one for the most part.

Pendles Swan Beams all went 120 in the same year.

A few exceptions to that are ofcourse titch and Gaj.

Yes this too ..... everyone’s fit & you can bracket those top 4 Crows Mids evenly

With Gibbs about to turn 30 and entering his 13th season do you think he might start to regress as a centre square midfielder and begin a transition to more of a role player across HB or HF similar to a Goddard/Burgoyne/Boak for instance or do you expect him to remain a midfield prime mover for another year or more? :think:

Been reading a few comments from Longmire about the importance of inside/out mids who can switch it up on the fly.

With no runners on the field outside of goals, he has put extra importance on these types.

Parker really jumps out as that player, as a smokey he could be one to consider getting back to 110+

Been reading a few comments from Longmire about the importance of inside/out mids who can switch it up on the fly.

With no runners on the field outside of goals, he has put extra importance on these types.

Parker really jumps out as that player, as a smokey he could be one to consider getting back to 110+

I agree u just cant trust horse though.

With Gibbs about to turn 30 and entering his 13th season do you think he might start to regress as a centre square midfielder and begin a transition to more of a role player across HB or HF similar to a Goddard/Burgoyne/Boak for instance or do you expect him to remain a midfield prime mover for another year or more? :think:
I think he will ... but we have Smith at HB now & i can’t see that changing this year

But definitely Gibbs will finish in DEF .... but both he and Smith are not the tightest checkers, so they won’t play together

Point sharing is not a worry. I had Hannebery, Parker, JPK and Mitchell in my team after the 2016 bye and it was fine. Just can’t do it pre bye.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back