Position 2019 Midfielders

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Walsh will come in and score Dyson Heppell style in his first season, but that could just be bias.

Setterfield might not play round 1, same with Stocker. Gibbons would be a good pickup if we list him.

Think taking Neale is fine. Still prime age and a consistent scorer.

Setterfield would have to have a set back to not play round 1. Would of been playing round 1 for GWS last year if it wasn't for the injury.

Hopefully Stocker can be in the 2nd wave of rookies.

Hope you lot hurry up and sign Gibbons so I can put him in my team at M8 instead of some other 102k goober with a funny name.

Setterfield would have to have a set back to not play round 1. Would of been playing round 1 for GWS last year if it wasn't for the injury.

Hope you lot hurry up and sign Gibbons so I can put him in my team at M8 instead of some other 102k goober with a funny name.

Would love both of them to play but I reckon it’s more likely to be the other way around. Setters had a year out and hasn’t resumed full training.

Nothing more than a gut feel but I think we will be pretty cautious.

Think Gibbons and Cottrell will both be signed.

No chance he will be 117-123k rookie?

I think I’m just about convinced that any rookie above 190k is a slow burn and poison. (Excluding mature age)
I’m now completely off Walsh.

Its going against history, but I’m going to back him to go well.

The difference between him and Whitfield is Whitfield shared a midfield with 9-10 young midfield guns straight off the bat.

Sad as it is, Walsh comes in as our 3rd or 4th best mid.

Would love both of them to play but I reckon it’s more likely to be the other way around. Setters had a year out and hasn’t resumed full training.

Nothing more than a gut feel but I think we will be pretty cautious.

Think Gibbons and Cottrell will both be signed.

Didn't know you had 2 spots available, that's good.

No chance he will be 117-123k rookie?

He shouldn't be, never played at the level before and the new draft thing is equivalent to a rookie contract isn't it?
Regardless, if he's playing round 1 he's still a lock even if he gets priced at 123k for whatever reason SC deem fit.

Its going against history, but I’m going to back him to go well.

The difference between him and Whitfield is Whitfield shared a midfield with 9-10 young midfield guns straight off the bat.

Sad as it is, Walsh comes in as our 3rd or 4th best mid.

You could have said the same about Paddy Dow last season and he didn't exactly set the world on fire (SC scoring wise) even though he was almost as highly rated as Walsh is. What difference do you see between the two that equals Walsh averaging 20 points per game more in his 1st year than what Dow did in his?

You could have said the same about Paddy Dow last season and he didn't exactly set the world on fire (SC scoring wise) even though he was almost as highly rated as Walsh is. What difference do you see between the two that equals Walsh averaging 20 points per game more in his 1st year than what Dow did in his?

Dow’s endurance-base was reasonably poor, and likely wouldn’t have got many games last year at other clubs. Walsh would already be in the top 5% of runners in the AFL.

Dow is also an inside mid and didn’t have the strength advantage at AFL level he had against junior players. He will take a few years to fill out and start impacting clearances more. Walsh has the luxury of playing an outside role where size doesn’t matter.

Hawthorn will possibly bring in a mature aged mid to replace Titch.

Mitch Grigg would be a god send for Super Coaches but I have heard his dad is not well, so he may not be willing to move interstate.

Hawthorn will possibly bring in a mature aged mid to replace Titch.

Mitch Grigg would be a god send for Super Coaches but I have heard his dad is not well, so he may not be willing to move interstate.
Grigg is simply not an AFL player .....he was on the Crows list 4+ years ....he was never quick, has put on weight, and is good as a big fish in the SANFL pond ......I've listened to radio interviews coming up to the last Draft .....IMO he's not hungry enough to make it as an AFL player

Dow’s endurance-base was reasonably poor, and likely wouldn’t have got many games last year at other clubs. Walsh would already be in the top 5% of runners in the AFL.

Dow is also an inside mid and didn’t have the strength advantage at AFL level he had against junior players. He will take a few years to fill out and start impacting clearances more. Walsh has the luxury of playing an outside role where size doesn’t matter.
I can confirm that Walsh is at the running level of Ed Curnow, so yes his running is elite. Should enable him to get to at least where the ball is. Whether he gets it or not is another matter.

I'm in the Walsh camp, think he'll be well worth it.
Have to disagree ......last year proved that the premium rookies are bad investments .....either add $95K and go Libba, or trade down to a $123K

I'm also not comfortable with Bailey Smith @ $160K

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have to disagree ......last year proved that the premium rookies are bad investments .....either add $95K and go Libba, or trade down to a $123K

How do last years expensive rookies affect Walsh?

For me, there is a big difference between Dow and Walsh, each year will be different. Libba I just don't trust, I'll be keeping an eye on the 123k's to fill the rest of the spots.

How do last years expensive rookies affect Walsh?
It's the return on investment or cash generation limitations for a $200K + Rookie ......an untried rookie ....but each to their own, these are just opinions of individual coaches

For me, there is a big difference between Dow and Walsh, each year will be different. Libba I just don't trust, I'll be keeping an eye on the 123k's to fill the rest of the spots.
I think the freshest rookies spark hope, which is fuelled by media pieces from clubs, trying to sell Memberships to fans of struggling teams .....they're selling hope

In SC though, we deal in facts .....I won't be taking Walsh ....I'm still hopeful Bennell comes up $40K cheaper and a "proven" SC player

It's the return on investment or cash generation limitations for a $200K + Rookie ......an untried rookie ....but each to their own, these are just opinions of individual coaches

I agree with the rule in general but Walsh could be an exception. He'll play midfield and be given high minutes and he's a ball magnet. I'll be watching his JLT very closely but atm I've got him in. I could be biased of course. ;)

With the Shiel and Scully departures, I think Callan Ward picks up a large portion of the slack..

Has gone 112 before and expect him to go 108 minimum.

Nice nomination, and I tend to agree.

RE: Walsh, apparently he's been dominating in match simulation, outperforming most of our mids. I know we're a basket case, and after getting Brayshaw and Dow last year I SHOULD be a little bit gun-shy, but I have a gut feel he'll go 80+. I'll be watching his JLT very closely as well, but I think he'll be worth the investment.

Bailey Smith is 180k

Remove this Banner Ad

Back