MRP / Trib. 2019 MRP Chook Lotto - Carlton Tribunal News & Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

and if his clumsy swinging arm had connected with Murphy’s head? FFS does anyone in our club leadership have any passion or is it just a day job.

Mumford took out a player in a vulnerable position after he disposed of the ball. Yet Daisy is pinged for a player not expecting contact. Daisy called it perfectly the application of two sets of standards in the same game based on colour of the shirt or a player being a “star” is fair dinkum cheating.

Hawks game, Pies game are other examples of the same, it’s either cheating or incompetence!
Hanlon's razor: never attribute to malice what can be explained by incompetence.
Not as personal as someone having a crack at my Mum, wife, child or anyone that matters to me. Not offended by the word cheat one iota.
You are not required by your job to be completely impartial either.

I mean, I don't know you, you very well could be. Just, in general we tend to take things personally when the accusations made are closer to home; not, that they're necessarily true, but that they are applicable to us. It's difficult - for example - to accuse a brickie of being a cheat; just how does a brickie cheat? An Umpire though - a person entrusted with adjudication of a set of rules - cannot be accused of being a cheat without it threatening their livelihood, their job, their personal integrity around which their employment is shaped.

It's a little silly to compare an AFL's umpire's position in such a scenario to a random on the streets. There's very little parity, unless said person was a judge.
It’s in the heat of the moment, adrenaline and emotions running through the veins. I know I did and said things on the footy field I would never say off it. I’ve heard way worse (directed at umps on the field) that has been simply shrugged off due to ‘the moment’.
I agree with you outside of this though.
"I was drunk."
"I was emotional."
"I was provoked."

Name the excuse that'd get you off murder or assault.
Cripps was a textbook tackle, designed to hurt. He was seriously pissed off with the prior decision from the umpire, went looking for a release from the frustration building up and caught a player napping.

Mumford hit an exposed player with fist and knees, trying to take him out of the game in a calculated manner. Not a nice bloke, not a nice act.

Reckon they are a little different. Would love the entire team to take after Cripps, would be shattered if they took after Mumford.
On one hand, I remember the hit from Ryan Burton in his first season. Don't remember who he got, just he completely blindsighted someone, lined them up and went the bump. Got him, right and proper; the bloke was out cold before he hit the ground. Burton then turns and looks at the bloke he's just taken out, and for that slightest of seconds, he questioned the coaching prerogative; he didn't know if he was happy or guilty, looking down at the person he had just deliberately injured.

On the other hand, play like Mumfords - and like Hodge, like Mitchell, like Cyril, and like Lewis - can and will win you games of this sport. Look at, for example, the first example of a sling tackle that garnered a suspension; Gibb's tackle on Robbie Gray. He didn't mean to hurt him, just to bring him to ground; went a bit harder than he intended, largely because the bloke kept trying to get away, so he nailed him as hard as he could. Had he played for a contending side, he'd have gotten away with it; that he played for us at the time meant that he got cited. In any case, that injury placed Port's best player out of the game, and we beat them across the board afterward.

I don't like unnecessary player behavior designed to injure their opponents. That is an understatement, really. However, it's starting to look as though the difference between the contenders and the also-rans is entirely in their ability to skirt the rules in such a way as to obtain advantage, and that starts with minor infringements (holding the play up before returning the ball after a free kick) and ends with deliberately injuring blokes wherever you can when the umpire isn't looking.

Do we stop paying attention to the sport, because it embodies the general slow whittling down of society's morals writ large? Do we aspire to win whilst maintaining our hard but fair play? Or do we embody the world as it is, and do what it takes to get ahead? I don't know the answer here, as much as it bothers me to admit it.

Last edited:
The only way to avoid contact injuries is to make AFL a non contact sport. Nothing wrong with players going in as hard as they can - it is part of the game. However I think the AFL has also been soft on genuinely dangerous play capable of maiming a person or worse for life - Hodge's hip and elbow into Wingard's head when he was trapped against a goal post is a standout disgusting dog act that I'll never forget.

Mumford's hit on Murphy could have been prevented - by Carlton players being more aware of the general ground of contest and blocking his run - one of the things that you don't get when you stack an on ball brigade with very young undersized players is this type of awareness. The other thing that should have occurred immediately was someone going like for like on Mumford - again standard 101 team play that you wont get as long as you are playing a majority short people.

Cripps' version of payback on Tarranto - was fantastic to watch - could have easily resulted in a serious injury to Tarranto - oh well bad luck.

The only way to avoid contact injuries is to make AFL a non contact sport. Nothing wrong with players going in as hard as they can - it is part of the game. However I think the AFL has also been soft on genuinely dangerous play capable of maiming a person or worse for life - Hodge's hip and elbow into Wingard's head when he was trapped against a goal post is a standout disgusting dog act that I'll never forget.

Mumford's hit on Murphy could have been prevented - by Carlton players being more aware of the general ground of contest and blocking his run - one of the things that you don't get when you stack an on ball brigade with very young undersized players is this type of awareness. The other thing that should have occurred immediately was someone going like for like on Mumford - again standard 101 team play that you wont get as long as you are playing a majority short people.

Cripps' version of payback on Tarranto - was fantastic to watch - could have easily resulted in a serious injury to Tarranto - oh well bad luck.
Reminded me of the tackle by Cachia on Nason :D

Just wondering when that occurred in the match? Haven't seen it however am curious to see the tackle, but I don't think I could last watching an entire replay just to find the tackle

(Log in to remove this ad.)

finally the sniping little turd gets suspended

On GAJ Chrisso said “off ball intentional strikes don’t belong in the game"

So it's ok elbow a player in the head 2 weeks in a row off the ball and intentional but in the 3rd week suddenly it matters Chrisso.

How can anyone take this corrupt organisation seriously. :mad:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back