Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueRoos

Club Legend
Feb 13, 2007
Arden Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
the logical explanation is that when you tackle someone and they get concussed it's looked at. Any tackle that pins both arms and results in a concussion is going to result in a suspension. There is no way we could possibly win on appeal.

I'm not agreeing with it, I think it's fricking stupid but the AFL are covering their own arse. I don't understand why they don't just come out and ban tackling someone to the ground.

It is a joke of a rule and a ridiculous suspension. But like you, I just can't see how it would have been over turned, and quite clearly the Club saw it the same way.

Jan 25, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
the logical explanation is that when you tackle someone and they get concussed it's looked at. Any tackle that pins both arms and results in a concussion is going to result in a suspension. There is no way we could possibly win on appeal.

I'm not agreeing with it, I think it's fricking stupid but the AFL are covering their own arse. I don't understand why they don't just come out and ban tackling someone to the ground.
The thing is though, only one arm was pinned and the St Kilda player contributed to it by trying to handball rather than protect himself.

But I still think you’re right in that we wouldn’t have won the appeal, despite the above.

FlyHigh18

Arden St Parking Inspector
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I don't think tackling can be compared to bumps.

The backlash if they started reigning in bumps would be severe bc fans love it.
Whereas tackling is meh and slows the game, so it's much easier to just punish someone as a warning to other players. Especially if the player is injured.

With that said the whole thing is still so inconsistent and frustrating - and the fact the Michael Flip Flop Christian is a traumatized w***er doesn't help.

I wonder what Mike would do if someone went up for a spectacular hanger and concussed the bloke under him.

Last edited:

He only pinned one arm.

In fact, Pierce actually broke his fall with the other arm.

You shouldn't be punished for a good tackle that accidentally causes injury. Injuries happen, and it's not always someones fault.

Groin guru

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 21, 2017
Destination Club
AFL Club
North Melbourne
AFL in 2 years: Tag footy

1551764226849.png

Apr 1, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, Raiders, GSW, QPR, NYM
He only pinned one arm.

In fact, Pierce actually broke his fall with the other arm.

You shouldn't be punished for a good tackle that accidentally causes injury. Injuries happen, and it's not always someones fault.

Your last sentence is 100% spot on.

The issue is, that the game is run by litigious types who believe that someone must be at fault for every injury that occurs.

Unless you're a superstar, then its an accident.

SonofSamsquanch

Enjoy decent coffee but don't dunk yer biscuits
Mar 31, 2016
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Can I tell you this goes far beyond one player missing a week. This sets a horrible precedent once more for 2019.

If he doesnt get concussed he gets off for the same action.
Punish the action not the result!!!!!!
Good news is that the inconsistency of the MRO means that there is no such thing as precedent. The dipstick can't even achieve consistency in one game of football let alone over a whole round or a season.

Totally agree on your comment about the punishment needs to be for the action not the result. But again, we have a ******* MRO and we can't count on a fair or reasonable outcome.

Hootini

Team Captain
Jun 9, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The real joke is that Michael Christian still has the gig. I would have thought that after his clownishly incompetent efforts last year, the AFL would have quietly moved him on during the off season and just hoped no-one would notice.
wouldn't have been too hard, find someone else named Michael, pretend he's always been the guy. Literally any guy too, cause ******* anyone could do better.

Mar 15, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
You do realize that he will also miss round 1?
That does set him back unfortunately. Ridiculous decision by the MRP. It wasn't a swing tackle or a double action. Just unfortunate part of the game which simply can't be avoided.
Theres seems to be a swing in playing 2 rucks.....Im writing that missing a JLT game (practising having 2 rucks in the team who havent played together) does hinder our preparation to the season ,its fair that he does his penance in the JLT. Wishful thinking on my behalf , I know.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
The real joke is that Michael Christian still has the gig. I would have thought that after his clownishly incompetent efforts last year, the AFL would have quietly moved him on during the off season and just hoped no-one would notice.

The AFL would love him. He's incredibly consistent - he makes the decisions they want him to. Literally a cardboard cutout for the AFL board & PR teams.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
The AFL would love him. He's incredibly consistent - he makes the decisions they want him to. Literally a cardboard cutout for the AFL board & PR teams.

Yep. Wooden as an Oak tree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back