Lums23

Club Legend
Jun 16, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Manchester United
No 2019 thread yet?

Some pretty huge albums so far this year, but the most surprisingly brilliant album so far this year is without a doubt by a man that everyone will have heard of, yet may have previously dismissed. A guy who looked as though he may have been lost as a pop producer. However, he has managed to come out and drop this huge album out of nowhere.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
The ones I've liked so far:
1. AE_Live_Portsmouth | Autechre
2. AE_Live_Denver | Autechre
3. We Dance Alone | Yaporigami
4. AE_Live_New York | Autechre
5. Let's Ride EP | Roza Terenzi
6. AE_Live_Seattle | Autechre
7. Still on my Mind | Dido

Been fairly electronicy for me thus far. Most keen for the new Gizzard later this month, Cyboogie and Fishing for Fishies were both solid.

Last edited:

Richard Cranium

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
PHX
Jason Segel = James Blake
Seth Rogen = Me

Absolute garbage. I just wish I could have smashed his sampler and synths...

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Jason Segel = James Blake
Seth Rogen = Me

Absolute garbage. I just wish I could have smashed his sampler and synths...

Assume Form is the first James Blake album I've liked since his debut. And maybe the first I've actually listened to more than three times too.

I always loved his dubby early s**t and those old releases still sound so cool. First album was alright, remember just flogging that thing when it leaked. Reminds me of leaving high school. But the albums after were just banal shite – mopey, dull, his voice is great but yeah we get it sounds nice... do something with it, like ya know, a smart melody. His keyboard playing isn't very melodic either. Those albums sucked.

But yeah I gave this a cursory listen as I weirdly still follow him. Glad I did. The songs with features are really, really bad shoehorns and are the lamest attempts at getting a higher billing at *in Coachella. But Can't Believe The Way We Flow, I'll Come Too, Power On are so so good. Memorable melodies, I love the samples, and the general tone of them is actually pretty unique for him. The lyrics should be corny but they're just genuine and coming from him, they're easy to actually buy.

Don't Miss It is a ditty too. Liked it more than the other song he put out last year but yeah, it sounds like it could've been Thom Yorke writing it on a piano. Simple and emotional.

Basically only listen to the James Blake albums where the cover's not completely shameful.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
It kind of peeves me how Unbearably White is so good but it's just Brimful Of Asha slowed down; it kind of grates me how This Life is just Brown Eyed Girl mixed with Makonnen. There's the hip hop shout-out thing and then there's just taking half a song.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
Dido's new one is becoming a real grower for me.

Not as special as her iconic early albums, but another classy collection nonetheless.

Crazy to think No Angel turns 20 in a couple weeks (although didn't really blow up until Stan in early 2001).

2006_Eagles

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Spooderman Meme Medal
Sep 6, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Pelicans, Perf Wildcats
I need to ups Marina. The best looking, best singing, best lyricist of our time. This song isn't a classic but it does have classic Marina qualities to it.

It's very commercial by Marina standards too

Back