2019 Music

Remove this Banner Ad

I haven't loved that many albums this year, that said I haven't listened to as many as I usually would

My faves so far:
J.S. Ondara - Tales of America
Maggie Rogers - Heard It In A Past Life
Mandolin Orange - Tides of A Teardrop
Strand of Oaks - Eraserland
Polish Club - Iguana

Not sure it really counts but the Prince 'Originals' album that came out Friday is great. Love hearing his original recording of Manic Monday especially, Sex Shooter is also on repeat. (The album is all his original mastered versions of songs he wrote for/gave to other artists).

I've already listened to it 7 times. Keepsake is the Australian album of the decade, quite easily the best album to come from a Brisbane artist since Grant McLennan passed.

Last edited:
Hatchie is good and I've been a fan since the beginning, but it's not even my favourite Australian album that came out today.

Loving the new Kirin J Callinan album.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Zara Larsson's 3 lead singles in 2019 have all been decent (especially Don't Worry Bout Me). Hoping that continues into the eventual album.

Criminal that she hasn't had a no.1 outside Scandinavia yet.

The Hatchie album is pretty good. My original issue with her was her songcraft was a bit lacking – some of those EP songs fell flat and on repeat listens, you really wanted something a little more dynamic. She's better at coming up with structures but I feel like her lyrics got really lazy. Sometimes you can rhyme two of the same words with different meanings and it's witty. There's one on here we she rhymes 'no' with 'know' and then 'no' again and it's so clunky and awkward.

It's kinda derivative but not even of the 1990s scene: of the early 2010s one! She's kind of a peer so I guess it's interesting seeing all those albums by the Horrors, Yuck, The Pains of Being Pure at Heart all coming through.

Yeha good album and I enjoyed walking through town, that in my headphones, raining coming down on the weekend.

This has got to be one of the most frustrating albums of the year for mine. Harmony Hall is a great song - really a fantastic belter - but the album itself needed someone to just tell Ezra Koenig that some of the musical ideas weren't worth putting on an album, and others just needed an awful lot more fleshing out.

That trio of Country-n-Western duets with Danielle Haim were particularly dull. A lot of the song ideas on the whole album just weren't interesting enough to justify the experimentation.

Such a shame, because there's a fair bit on there that's very good.

I've already listened to it 7 times. Keepsake is the Australian album of the decade, quite easily the best album to come from a Brisbane artist since Grant McLennan passed.
Haven't listened to Keepsake, but it would need to be pretty excellent to beat Go Further In Lightness for Australian Album of the Decade, or even Ball Park Music's Museum for Brisbane.

Sharon van Etten's album is awesome though.
It took me a few listens - the first time, I thought it was really good rather than something special - but then I just found myself coming back to it time and time again. I now think it's something pretty special.

Some of the tones mixed out of that synthesiser are just phenomenally well-arranged.

The only criticisms I'd make of it are that the two upbeat songs - Comeback Kid and Seventeen - aren't quite upbeat enough. I'd probably have gone for a slightly more driven beat and a fuller, more lush kind of arrangement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back