2019 Music

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
AFL Club
Collingwood
If I had to compile a list of my favourite 10 tracks this year it would go something like this. No particular order. I've been lazy again with listening to new music this year, preferring to just go back through old stuff or find cool singles that happened to be released one or two years ago. I don't think I've actively seeked out new music (reading all the blogs, downloading those 250-track 'indie mixtape' zips etc.) since about 2014. Anyway, I digress.

Little Simz - Selfish

Pond - Daisy

Vampire Weekend - Harmony Hall

Lizzo - Juice

Julia Jacklin - Turn Me Down

Genesis Owusu - WUTD

Jai Paul - Do You Love Her Now

Tyler, the Creator - Earfquake

Olympia - Hounds

Hot Chip - Bath Full of Ecstasy

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
I've enjoyed these tracks the most:

Unconditional - Touch Sensitive feat. Kitten
Dumb - Alpine
Julien - CRJ
Everything He Needs - CRJ
Open Me - Roza Terenzi
Don't Worry About Me - Zara Larsson
Gone - Charli XCX & Christine and the Queens
Stay With Me - Hatchie
Take You Home - Dido
Fishing for Fishies - King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard
Black Balloons Reprise - Flying Lotus feat. Denzel Curry

Music charts have been crap in 2019. Sucker & I'm So Tired... the most addictive for mine, but no noteworthy bangers.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2015
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
New Raconteurs Album is actually a great album!!!!
It's the Jack White album i've been waiting for, so i'm glad he was able to make it with Raconteurs and not just a solo effort.
Just a pure, fun, great rock album!!! with some nice production as well.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Celtic FC, Milwaukee Bucks
It's the Jack White album i've been waiting for, so i'm glad he was able to make it with Raconteurs and not just a solo effort.

It’s been on repeat for weeks now. Great to have Jack White back doing what he does best.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
Dance Monkey is a banger. Arguably the best #1 on the charts since Nice for What. Tones & I have a great rise story as well.

The EP in a couple weeks could end up being an iconic release. Same day as Tool lol.

Last edited:

Forgot they even existed it’s been so long since I’ve listened to them. Used to love them!
Will have to give it a listen...

Massive month for me this month with new Slipknot album end of the week then new Tool at the end of the month :smirk:

Poetic Justice

i will touch the sun or i will die trying
Wordler
Jun 21, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Might need to find one
Anyone listen to The Butterfly Effect new track this morning on Double J?
I thought it was pretty damn good. Excited for an album and seeing them live again soon

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
Infest the Rat's Nest is a superb album. You don't get much more metal than attempting to colonize Venus. Very cohesive, and not as thrash-centric as may have been feared. Between this and Fishies they are having an excellent year.

If I had to compile a list of my favourite 10 tracks this year it would go something like this. No particular order. I've been lazy again with listening to new music this year, preferring to just go back through old stuff or find cool singles that happened to be released one or two years ago. I don't think I've actively seeked out new music (reading all the blogs, downloading those 250-track 'indie mixtape' zips etc.) since about 2014. Anyway, I digress.

Little Simz - Selfish

Pond - Daisy

Vampire Weekend - Harmony Hall

Lizzo - Juice

Julia Jacklin - Turn Me Down

Genesis Owusu - WUTD

Jai Paul - Do You Love Her Now

Tyler, the Creator - Earfquake

Olympia - Hounds

Hot Chip - Bath Full of Ecstasy
I've enjoyed these tracks the most:

Unconditional - Touch Sensitive feat. Kitten
Dumb - Alpine
Julien - CRJ
Everything He Needs - CRJ
Open Me - Roza Terenzi
Don't Worry About Me - Zara Larsson
Gone - Charli XCX & Christine and the Queens
Stay With Me - Hatchie
Take You Home - Dido
Fishing for Fishies - King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard
Black Balloons Reprise - Flying Lotus feat. Denzel Curry

Music charts have been crap in 2019. Sucker & I'm So Tired... the most addictive for mine, but no noteworthy bangers.
I'd probably be something along these lines:

Mdou Moctar - Tarhatazad
Kirin J Callinan - The Whole of the Moon
Tropical * Storm - Paradise
The Comet is Coming - Summon The Fire
Pinch Points - Spelt Out
Seagull - Mercury
Freddie Gibbs & Madlib - Crime Pays
Weyes Blood - Movies
Fka Twigs - Cellophane
Tyler, The Creator - New Magic Wand

Feel like I've listened to heaps of music this year, but probably returned to these more than anything else.

Speaking of Kirin J Callinan, saw him last night - dude is a great performer. Unfortunately so much of his fanbase sucks now. Plenty of drunken yobbos who think telling him to take his dick out all night is funny. :rolleyes:

Also loving the debut LP from Melbourne punk band Private Function. It's called St Anger and they ripped off Metallica's album cover. Spotify demanded they change it, so on Spotify it's now just a rip-off of Metallica's self-titled album cover. :tearsofjoy:

Probably been one of my most anticipated albums, given their EPs and social media presence. Safe to say they didn't disappoint. God Save The King Hit, Marco Chan, and My Bully Is Dead are probably the early standouts.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
Interesting release day coming up.

Tool (long-awaited 5th album)
Tones & I (debut EP)
G Flip (debut album)
Montaigne (sophomore)
Lana Del Ray (6th album)
plus another lead single from Charli XCX & Post Malone, and Nirvana's Live & Loud getting an audio release

Back