2019 Music

Interesting release day coming up.

Tool (long-awaited 5th album)
Tones & I (debut EP)
G Flip (debut album)
Montaigne (sophomore)
Lana Del Ray (6th album)
plus another lead single from Charli XCX & Post Malone, and Nirvana's Live & Loud getting an audio release
Gotta say I'm only really interested in LDR and Charli, but heard some serioisly good things about LDR's new record.

Curious to see whether I can sit through the whole thing. I've really liked the singles, but Lana's songwriting tends to get on my nerves after a while.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
I'm only especially eager for the Tones & I and Charli myself (Gone is almost my fave track this year), but all those mentioned will probably find popularity among Aussies and chart fairly high.

I'll check out the Tool album, but mostly for curiosity's sake as I'm not expecting anything remotely comparable to the quality of the first four albums.

I've never really got into LDR. Has a few solid singles but not my thing really.

New Tropical * Storm and Thee Oh Sees are both surprisingly krautrocky, and are both ******* awesome.

Here's some other stuff I've been digging:

I'm only especially eager for the Tones & I and Charli myself (Gone is almost my fave track this year), but all those mentioned will probably find popularity among Aussies and chart fairly high.

I'll check out the Tool album, but mostly for curiosity's sake as I'm not expecting anything remotely comparable to the quality of the first four albums.
tbh her (Tones and I) voice shits me to no end. It seems like she took the irritating voice that Halsey and whatnot put on and exaggerated it even further. It's obviously working though, so all power to her.

Really excited to hear the next Charli XCX project. Really dug No Angel and particularly Focus last year, and that seems to largely be the direction she's going in. Feel like she's really starting to work out what her sound is now.

Last edited:
Anyone else really looking forward to the new Alex G record? He has to be one of the only lo-fi indie artists that has managed to stay consistently interesting this decade.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
I've been enjoying the new TFS a lot as well. Feel it dips a little towards the end after the title track, hopefully those ones grow on me.

I hear that a lot about Tones' voice but I don't really get it at all, I really enjoy her vocals.

I'm still waiting for the Charli project where it all comes together. True Romance & Pop2 had lots of great moments but were hard to fully embrace overall given their spotty nature.

NotAMagpieBogan

Premiership Player
Mar 17, 2014
Vic
AFL Club
Collingwood
Anyone else really looking forward to the new Alex G record? He has to be one of the only lo-fi indie artists that has managed to stay consistently interesting this decade.
Yeah I’m super keen. Southern Sky had real early 2010s indie folk sound to it, but with a classic Alex G spin. I get real nostalgic from it.

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
I don't normally venture into this part of of BF, but * me it's been an incredible last couple of months of releases.

I haven't really liked any of Lana del Rey's albums since Born to Die, but Norman ******* Rockwell is outstanding.

I like Tropical * Storm's 2nd album much better than the the 1st.

Waax, Bon Iver, even G-flip (which I wouldn't have bothered with, but I heard it at a party and really liked it) and Thelma Plum (who's show I went to a couple of weeks ago when a friend's friend backed out and she needed a +1).

Tool and Angie McMahon - music that you wouldn't normally put into the same sentence - also released bloody good albums, though I thought both were let down by some weaker songs. Fear Inoculum dips really severely in the middle, while McMahon's gets really weak at the end.

There's going to be some real crowded album of the year lists come December, I'd have a tough time doing an "album of August" list I think.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
Totally addicted to Charli. Easily her best work for mine (like the previous releases, but this is the soundest). More tolerant of the above two tracks now, but still feel it plays a little better without.

Enjoyed Alex Cameron’s new album in the first listen. Need to give it some more listens over coming days.
Same here. Not sure it lives up to Forced Witness, but really good album nonetheless. I'm happy he's gone in somewhat of a different direction stylistically so it offers something new.

I did get a chuckle out of pigheaded males being surprised that he was never actually sympathising with them. Suggested there may have been some merit to the criticism of the fake alpha character he was playing, but it's really to no fault of his own. Slightly off-topic, but always really never understood the criticism that it's not funny when Alex or Kirin J Callinan play that satirical character because they can never be the victim of it. I just can't comprehend what harm poking fun at alpha males does to social progression, but perhaps I say that from a similar position to what Alex Cameron is in. Just seems to be needlessly shutting down allies when they're not trying to speak for you, and not trying to make light of your predicament, but rather simply making fun of dickheads. Again, that may simply be me speaking from a position of privilege though.
New Charli album is cool. I've omitted Click & Official from my tracklist (personal preference, ymmv), and it sounds great.
I really enjoy it too, but those are two of my favourite tracks hahaha.

Really digging Alex G too. JPEGMAFIA also sounds promising from what I've heard. Also heard good things about the new Jenny Hval project and looking forward to hearing Blood Cultures' album. Yesterday was insane for new releases.

Sampa The Great is another one I'm super keen to hear. Have to say though, an 80 minute project from her is ambitious to say the least. I really enjoyed the singles, but can't say they struck me as something that could keep me interested over such a long run-time. Looking forward to giving it a crack nonetheless.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Same here. Not sure it lives up to Forced Witness, but really good album nonetheless. I'm happy he's gone in somewhat of a different direction stylistically so it offers something new.

I did get a chuckle out of pigheaded males being surprised that he was never actually sympathising with them. Suggested there may have been some merit to the criticism of the fake alpha character he was playing, but it's really to no fault of his own. Slightly off-topic, but always really never understood the criticism that it's not funny when Alex or Kirin J Callinan play that satirical character because they can never be the victim of it. I just can't comprehend what harm poking fun at alpha males does to social progression, but perhaps I say that from a similar position to what Alex Cameron is in. Just seems to be needlessly shutting down allies when they're not trying to speak for you, and not trying to make light of your predicament, but rather simply making fun of dickheads. Again, that may simply be me speaking from a position of privilege though.

I really enjoy it too, but those are two of my favourite tracks hahaha.
I did read some criticism that he was allowed to cross lines and just dismiss it as satire without having to take responsibility for his words. But I think the satire was satire was pointed and obvious enough to qualify as legit comment.

We’re their really alpha types that thought he was one of them? It was obviously taking the piss.

I did read some criticism that he was allowed to cross lines and just dismiss it as satire without having to take responsibility for his words. But I think the satire was satire was pointed and obvious enough to qualify as legit comment.

We’re their really alpha types that thought he was one of them? It was obviously taking the piss.
Yeah, I always had the same perception. I wasn't necessarily surprised by the blow-back towards Kirin J Callinan*, but was pretty surprised to see it towards Alex Cameron.

And yeah, I was curious to see how it was tracking compared to his previous albums, so checked the early response on RateYourMusic, and some of the comments were so staggering. Granted, I daresay they were more so incels that perceived he sympathised with their 'plight'. Mind you, the majority of commentators did appear to find it funny that anyone could draw such a conclusion from his music.

*some does still surprise me though, like the initial beat-up about how Guitar Center workers receive commission and how the guy he rented out his equipment from would lose his commission before he even got a chance to mention he had given him a big tip :drunk: :drunk:

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
I only really came across the concept of "incel" just last week (same goes for "digital self-harm"). Complete blind spot of mind.

Other than that mass-killing in California a couple years ago, I'd never really heard anything involving this (incel) subculture. Very creepy. Remember when revenge of the nerds was having a better life (cliche), and bringing isolated communities together online was optimistically regarded as a largely positive thing.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
Carlton
chelsea wolfe, birth of violence. i've been hoping she'd do another acoustic based album one day, even though i still love her more abrasive work too, and so this one is a bit of a throwback though has a few more things going on than her 'unknown rooms' acoustic album. world still catching on to her.
has some of her 'sit on a riff' moments, probably from her love of burzum ;)

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
Interesting release day coming up.

Tool (long-awaited 5th album)
Tones & I (debut EP)
G Flip (debut album)

Montaigne (sophomore)
Lana Del Ray (6th album)
plus another lead single from Charli XCX & Post Malone, and Nirvana's Live & Loud getting an audio release
Checked Tones out after reading the GF line up
And just caught G Flip on JJJ one night stand on Rage.

If it wasn't for Tool this year, i'd just give up on new music.
I thought i'd at least reach my 40s before that mentality set in. :(

This has to be a massive troll, right?

Would be an alright track were it not for the annoying vocals. There'd still be much more interesting electronic stuff on Bandcamp, mind you.

Speaking of which, been digging these tracks:

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Anyone heard the new Car Seat Headrest live album? Really nice arrangements, as you’d expect - Cosmic Hero and Drunk Drivers/Killer Whales sound amazing with the altered structuring, and the added verse at the end of DD/KW. They also play Fill In The Blank really differently, but it sounds really poor. No idea why they’d omit the main riff when it’s one of the best aspects of the song, and really kills it when all the other instruments drop out and it’s jusy that jagged riff played up the octave.

Been pretty poor overall for music. I love the new State Faults LP, and the American Football album isn’t too bad, but other than that there’s been nothing big. No major albums come out. The National LP was average, La Dispute probably needs more listens too..,

CliffMcTainshaw

Premiership Player
Apr 11, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Cill Chainnigh
Tal Wilkenfeld - Love Remains.
Under The Sun live
An Australian musical prodigy.

Last edited:
Back