Teams 2019 My RDT Team: H&A

Remove this Banner Ad

Crisp, Witherden, Williams, Smith, Clark, Duursma (Collins, Scrimshaw)

Macrae, Brayshaw, M. Crouch, Steele, Taranto, Cousins, Walsh, Scott (Butters, Constable, Atkins)

Grundy, Goldstein (Bines)

Dangerfield, Heeney, Worpel, Fisher, Mathieson, Setterfield (Drew, Balta)

My team is pretty unique and has been pretty average this round. I had westhoff in for most of preseason but changed to Heeney at last minute. Hope horse gives Heeney more mid time after this round.

Here is my round 1 team, pretty happy although didn't score as well as i was hoping, managed 2087, so now ranked 2372nd which isn't bad but only 10k teams this year :\

193k in the bank though so got some nice room to move for trades in nxt few weeks.

Happy with my PODs so far and glad i took punt on Rocky, had such an itchy finger on him but thought id take the chance :).

1553520001665.png

SmartSelect_20190326-093252_Chrome.jpg

My weakest line for sure but this was very intentional. My reasoning is that premium defenders are by far the most inconsistent and easier to bring in during the year. I seen Lloyd, Whitfield and Laird as my 3 top defenders (like everyone) but only could fit in 2 because of structure. Laird had a quieter preseason and with Smith taking kick ins I'm hoping he has a quieter game or 2 making him reachable down the track.

Smith did as expected. Will be up and down and I don't see him as a keeper but a couple of big games which he is capable of and he's an easy swap for a fallen premium back.

Moore I'm not worried about yet. He's just an expensive rookie for me but I needed the security and scoring potential that he brings.

SmartSelect_20190326-093322_Chrome.jpg
Obviously pretty happy with my mid fields start to the year. Some risks in their with Sheed and Rocky as well as banking on Dusty to bounce back (I had Brad Crouch all preseason and made the late change to Dusty. Just too worried about Crouchs injury history).

Bailey Smith didn't perform but I seen him as a no risk selection because he is an easy swap to any rookie I miss because of his price.

SmartSelect_20190326-093345_Chrome.jpg
Ok so Lycett didn't score well.. At all. But I'm not worried yet. He has shown in the past he can score well and his time in ruck was very good. Up against Gawn which is tough and he put a lot of his effort into the defensive side of things so I'm backing him to bounce back.

SmartSelect_20190326-093356_Chrome.jpg

F3 was my hardest spot to fill.. Before Friday night lockout I was switching between Boak, Kelly and Billings but went with Billings. His role was really good and he got plenty of the ball just didn't get the marks and tackles. His scoring potential is very high and with a good role I will back him in.

Scored 2174 which is good for around 800th place. No injuries, no massive concerns as far as player roles go which is a biggest worry for me than round 1 scores and not too far off with rookie selections (Burgess and Smith looking on the outs) so happy with the start.

View attachment 642234

My weakest line for sure but this was very intentional. My reasoning is that premium defenders are by far the most inconsistent and easier to bring in during the year. I seen Lloyd, Whitfield and Laird as my 3 top defenders (like everyone) but only could fit in 2 because of structure. Laird had a quieter preseason and with Smith taking kick ins I'm hoping he has a quieter game or 2 making him reachable down the track.

Smith did as expected. Will be up and down and I don't see him as a keeper but a couple of big games which he is capable of and he's an easy swap for a fallen premium back.

Moore I'm not worried about yet. He's just an expensive rookie for me but I needed the security and scoring potential that he brings.

View attachment 642240
Obviously pretty happy with my mid fields start to the year. Some risks in their with Sheed and Rocky as well as banking on Dusty to bounce back (I had Brad Crouch all preseason and made the late change to Dusty. Just too worried about Crouchs injury history).

Bailey Smith didn't perform but I seen him as a no risk selection because he is an easy swap to any rookie I miss because of his price.

View attachment 642245
Ok so Lycett didn't score well.. At all. But I'm not worried yet. He has shown in the past he can score well and his time in ruck was very good. Up against Gawn which is tough and he put a lot of his effort into the defensive side of things so I'm backing him to bounce back.

View attachment 642247

F3 was my hardest spot to fill.. Before Friday night lockout I was switching between Boak, Kelly and Billings but went with Billings. His role was really good and he got plenty of the ball just didn't get the marks and tackles. His scoring potential is very high and with a good role I will back him in.

Scored 2174 which is good for around 800th place. No injuries, no massive concerns as far as player roles go which is a biggest worry for me than round 1 scores and not too far off with rookie selections (Burgess and Smith looking on the outs) so happy with the start.
Great summation of the round Butler. Very solid on field team with only a few tweaking of rookies to be done.
Not sure I could sleep at night with Billings though. :)
Greene will be much better after a few more hitouts and has the potential to be a forward keeper.
You nailed it.

Great summation of the round Butler. Very solid on field team with only a few tweaking of rookies to be done.
Not sure I could sleep at night with Billings though. :)
Greene will be much better after a few more hitouts and has the potential to be a forward keeper.
You nailed it.

Haha you see I had Billings the year before when he broke out and scored big. His role was different last year. He's at his best on the wing and half forward which he seemed to play on the weekend. Now it's just whether or not his teammates will spot him up for those cheap +6's because that's what he relies on the most.

Yeh not worried about Greene. Expected a slow start and at his price it wasnt worth waiting a few rounds to bring him in at a time when I will need to be focusing on other areas.

But thanks. I'm definitely happy with the start and the way the round played out. Long way to go though.

dsmGaKWMeHXe9QuJtq_ys30PNfTGnMsRuHuo_MUzGCg.jpg

Haha you see I had Billings the year before when he broke out and scored big. His role was different last year. He's at his best on the wing and half forward which he seemed to play on the weekend. Now it's just whether or not his teammates will spot him up for those cheap +6's because that's what he relies on the most.

Yeh not worried about Greene. Expected a slow start and at his price it wasnt worth waiting a few rounds to bring him in at a time when I will need to be focusing on other areas.

But thanks. I'm definitely happy with the start and the way the round played out. Long way to go though.
Just curious as to what the little green dt badge represents?
I've noticed that a number of posters have them.

Last edited:
My Round 1 team:
Image 3.png

A pretty conservative guns n rooks approach. Smith and maybe Cousins the outliers - everyone else is either sub 250k or north of 600k.

Defence - Had Whitfield most of the preseason but decided to go with Witherden in the end as the additional $85k he offered proved too tempting. Odds are both will end up in the top 6 backs and hopefully not starting Whitfield doesn't cost too many points before I get him in. Not completely sold on the def rooks but it's slim pickings there. Hore and McKay were the others I was considering but they didnt show much.

Mids - Happy with the mids, save for Merrett's performance and not having Bailey Scott. One of Atkins/Gibbons will likely become Scott next week. Merrett will either get another week to prove himself or I'll give him the chop this week. Sloane the main target. Haven't decided on that yet. The difficulty with giving Merrett another week is that if he doesnt come good I'll be using one of my 2 rookie fixit trades on him.

Ruck - Had the Grundy + Gawn set n forget all preseason and changed it at the last minute to bring in Westhoff. It worked round 1, but I dont want to have to rely on the Hoff kicking bags every week. Grundy is class so no worries there. I definitely prefer having him than Gawn at the minute.

Fwds - I was always going with Danger + Heeney but was tossing up between Kelly and Dunkley for F3. Made the right choice in the end (so far). Kelly was nowhere in the middle part of the game on Friday but a fwd who can score 56pts in a quarter without relying on goals is pretty valuable I think. Boak was never really on my radar tbh but he sure is now. Everyone performed as expected, although a few more kicks for Lincoln would've been nice. Balta has been dropped so I think I'll trade him but, like def rookies, there are slim pickings up fwd.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ahhh, the Golden Age of DT
2013 was the year DT was infiltrated and rebranded to AFLF. We got 2 trades a week that year, but pricing and cash rises/falls were like DT with the 3 game rolling average

2014 Virtual Sports cut ties with the AFL as the official AFL game and started on what they're doing now with their Sportsdeck brand. I signed up for all 3 of RDT, AFLF and SC, but cut AFLF after round 1 as I was over 200 points behind the leaders as they had a stupid free hit rule, so I melted and terminated my account, lol. Only done RDT/SC since.

2013 was the year DT was infiltrated and rebranded to AFLF. We got 2 trades a week that year, but pricing and cash rises/falls were like DT with the 3 game rolling average

2014 Virtual Sports cut ties with the AFL as the official AFL game and started on what they're doing now with their Sportsdeck brand. I signed up for all 3 of RDT, AFLF and SC, but cut AFLF after round 1 as I was over 200 points behind the leaders as they had a stupid free hit rule, so I melted and terminated my account, lol. Only done RDT/SC since.
Wow, that long ago, huh?

And it's been 9 years since I got Relton'd!

Why has the Relton myth grown ever year?

Sure he was a bust who burnt heaps, but there's been plenty of other picks who've probably done the same over the years
IIRC there weren't many fwd rookie options that year, he was a round 1 shock selection, was a mature ager and everyone flocked to him at the last minute.

He looked chubby and slow in his first game, scored poorly, got dropped, brought back in round 3 for some reason and got KO'd, then never heard from again.

He was more a lesson in sticking to preseason plans and not taking the punt on unknown rooks just cos they get selected round 1.

IMG_4605.JPG
IMG_4606.JPG

Happy with backs. Smith is gone to laird or Whitfield in 3 weeks.

mids look good on paper but will struggle big time this week. Cripps will cop Hewett and sheed has gaff back. Sheed will become brad crouch in a couple of weeks. Rocky may become macrae if he struggles with wines back

Rucks tick

Forwards horrendous. Just have to ride out 2 x 50-60 a week for the next 4 weeks.

IIRC there weren't many fwd rookie options that year, he was a round 1 shock selection, was a mature ager and everyone flocked to him at the last minute.

He looked chubby and slow in his first game, scored poorly, got dropped, brought back in round 3 for some reason and got KO'd, then never heard from again.

He was more a lesson in sticking to preseason plans and not taking the punt on unknown rooks just cos they get selected round 1.

What made the Relton fail even more epic was due to the lack of forward rookies that year, many like myself picked an expensive 1 gamer by the name of Tom Rockliff at F8 prior to Rd1. But when Rocky was left out of Brissy's Rd1 (and Rd2) team many panicked and switched to Relton at the last minute and spent the extra cash elsewhere. Rocky went on to average 87 from 19 games for those of us who left him in our teams. In fact after a steady start from his 1st 2 games (78 & 96) he went on a 13 game run from Rd10 onwards where he averaged 97 which included a 140. I recall playing him on-field for nearly all of that season. Not sure what the Relton owners did. Probably burnt 2 trades to get the funds to trade Rocky in on the bubble for Rd5. Good times.

What made the Relton fail even more epic was due to the lack of forward rookies that year, many like myself picked an expensive 1 gamer by the name of Tom Rockliff at F8 prior to Rd1. But when Rocky was left out of Brissy's Rd1 (and Rd2) team many panicked and switched to Relton at the last minute and spent the extra cash elsewhere. Rocky went on to average 87 from 19 games for those of us who left him in our teams. In fact after a steady start from his 1st 2 games (78 & 96) he went on a 13 game run from Rd10 onwards where he averaged 97 which included a 140. I recall playing him on-field for nearly all of that season. Not sure what the Relton owners did. Probably burnt 2 trades to get the funds to trade Rocky in on the bubble for Rd5. Good times.
Was that 2009 or 2010?

I started playing DT consistently from 2011 onwards (played something in year 12 I think a few years beforehand, but ended up a ghost ship quickly as I didn't get around to my side enough, not sure if it was DT or SC, but was very early days of mainstream fantasy football)

That first year I properly played was the Gold Coast year where we had a squad of 33 to cover for byes every week, how I'd love to have a crack at a similar format again, so much room for cash cows that year, yet I didn't understand the 3 game rolling average breakeven game then, kinda got the hang of it the next year though

Blew so many silly trades in 2011-12 not understanding bye planning back then though, lol, took me until 2013 and reading alot of DT Talk stuff to get my head around it. Some real Judd_Magic type of trades going on, traded in Scott Selwood and Sloane one bye week to cover donuts, then they had their bye the next week, so traded them both out again :moustache:

Was out of trades by about round 17 :moustache:

Was that 2009 or 2010?

I started playing DT consistently from 2011 onwards (played something in year 12 I think a few years beforehand, but ended up a ghost ship quickly as I didn't get around to my side enough, not sure if it was DT or SC, but was very early days of mainstream fantasy football)

That first year I properly played was the Gold Coast year where we had a squad of 33 to cover for byes every week, how I'd love to have a crack at a similar format again, so much room for cash cows that year, yet I didn't understand the 3 game rolling average breakeven game then, kinda got the hang of it the next year though

Blew so many silly trades in 2011-12 not understanding bye planning back then though, lol, took me until 2013 and reading alot of DT Talk stuff to get my head around it. Some real Judd_Magic type of trades going on, traded in Scott Selwood and Sloane one bye week to cover donuts, then they had their bye the next week, so traded them both out again :moustache:

Was out of trades by about round 17 :moustache:

It was 2010 I finished just outside the top1k that year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back