2019 NBA Offseason Thread - Free Agency starts 6 p.m. ET on June 30

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelly Olynyk will under x-rays after he fell in the third quarter of a FIBA exhibition game featuring Canada and Nigeria.
Olynyk was part of Canada's team ahead of the FIBA World Cup.
With updates expected on Thursday, Nick Nurse said that Olynyk appeared to hurt this knee.

Just call the whole World Cup off

NBA.com/NBA TV media made All-Decade squads from 09-10 through 18-19

1st team: Curry, Harden, Leonard, James, Durant
2nd team: Paul, Westbrook, Anthony, Griffin, Davis
3rd team: Wade, Bryant, George, Antetokounmpo, Aldridge

Stinks of recency bias.

Leonard in the 1st team is pretty lol

He's had 3 good seasons in the decade and barely played half the games.

Last edited:
Leonard in the 1st team is pretty lol

He's had 3 good seasons in the decade and barely played half the games.

I dunno, his resume's a little better than that in all honesty.

2014 Finals MVP

2015 DPOY, should have been All-star

2016 DPOY, All Star, All-NBA

2017 All-Star, All-NBA

2019 All-Star, All-NBA, Finals MVP

You can definitely argue about whether he deserves to be first team or not, but in terms of meaningful awards his resume' is as good as anyone's.

I dunno, his resume's a little better than that in all honesty.

2014 Finals MVP

2015 DPOY, should have been All-star

2016 DPOY, All Star, All-NBA

2017 All-Star, All-NBA

2019 All-Star, All-NBA, Finals MVP

You can definitely argue about whether he deserves to be first team or not, but in terms of meaningful awards his resume' is as good as anyone's.

By no means am I saying he's been bad, but we're effectively talking about the top 5 players for the decade.

I do think the first 4 pick themselves, and the last one is harder to pick. For balance the last picked should be a center (or someone who can play center).

By no means am I saying he's been bad, but we're effectively talking about the top 5 players for the decade.

I do think the first 4 pick themselves, and the last one is harder to pick. For balance the last picked should be a center (or someone who can play center).

I think the bolded is the key really.

I mean, 'team of the decade' exercises can be pretty arbitrary, depending on when the beginning and end is situated.

In the case of 2009-19, then we're really looking for players who were drafted in the 2003/4 to 2009 period. Anyone drafted before or after that is going to be at a disadvantage. Kawhi certainly figures in there somewhere though, based on the quality of his work alone.

Anthony Davis is widely expected to re-sign with the Los Angeles Lakers in 2020, but it is not yet clear how he will handle the situation if the team implodes.
According to a source that spoke with Marc Berman of the New York Post, Rich Paul likes the idea of Davis with the New York Knicks. The Knicks could be one of the only teams in the NBA that could create enough cap space to sign Davis.
The Knicks were on Davis' preferred list of teams when he requested a trade from the New Orleans Pelicans.

He’ll need to play power forward though.

Anthony Davis is widely expected to re-sign with the Los Angeles Lakers in 2020, but it is not yet clear how he will handle the situation if the team implodes.
According to a source that spoke with Marc Berman of the New York Post, Rich Paul likes the idea of Davis with the New York Knicks. The Knicks could be one of the only teams in the NBA that could create enough cap space to sign Davis.
The Knicks were on Davis' preferred list of teams when he requested a trade from the New Orleans Pelicans.

6th man.

Julius Randle's team now.

New York reporters really must hate the Knicks to keep feeding their fans this bullshit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the bolded is the key really.

I mean, 'team of the decade' exercises can be pretty arbitrary, depending on when the beginning and end is situated.

In the case of 2009-19, then we're really looking for players who were drafted in the 2003/4 to 2009 period. Anyone drafted before or after that is going to be at a disadvantage. Kawhi certainly figures in there somewhere though, based on the quality of his work alone.

Kawhi's been great, don't get me wrong, but I mean he was a role player half way through the decade.

I know he picked up a Finals MVP, but it wasn't one of those dominate Finals MVPs. I put it in the class of Iggy's Finals MVPs. He was good, but only really got it because someone from the winning team needed to get it. It wasn't one of those 35/10/8 Final type performances.

It seems weird to give him the nod in an All-Decade team, when they're competing against decade teams like Stockton, Jordan, Pippen, Malone, Hakeem.

I'd give the final spot to AD myself for balance. But it is the hardest spot to pick.

What is funniest is that OKC drafted 3 of the top 10 players and nothing to show for it :D

What is funniest is that OKC drafted 3 of the top 10 players and nothing to show for it :D
SB Nation just did a video on this - drafted MVPs in 3 consecutive years and the best they could do was Western Conference Champs only once

I'd give the final spot to AD myself for balance. But it is the hardest spot to pick.

The difference between Kawhi and AD though is that AD has never done what Kawhi just accomplished.

To rip through the Sixers, Bucks, and Dubs in succession while appearing to be clearly the best player on the court was pretty phenomenal. It was a bit like Hakeem's 1995 Playoffs in many ways.

Without wishing to sound like a bitter Pels fan, AD has never really flipped that switch where he just decides he is going to destroy teams and refuses to lose. In joddy parlance, he has never really channeled his 'inner MJ'.

That's sorta why I rate Kawhi's 2 x Finals MVP + 2 x DPOY + 2 x Champion as on a higher plane than anything AD has accomplished... for now.

They have about a million future first round draft picks, so that's something.

The difference between Kawhi and AD though is that AD has never done what Kawhi just accomplished.

To rip through the Sixers, Bucks, and Dubs in succession while appearing to be clearly the best player on the court was pretty phenomenal. It was a bit like Hakeem's 1995 Playoffs in many ways.

Without wishing to sound like a bitter Pels fan, AD has never really flipped that switch where he just decides he is going to destroy teams and refuses to lose. In joddy parlance, he has never really channeled his 'inner MJ'.

That's sorta why I rate Kawhi's 2 x Finals MVP + 2 x DPOY + 2 x Champion as on a higher plane than anything AD has accomplished... for now.

Kawhi has found himself in some pretty good situations though and with a lot better teammates/coaches than AD.

I mean the Spurs are a 50ish win team without him in the years he was there. Likewise Toronto last year.

I feel if you swapped AD and Kawhi for the last 7 years you'd probably end up with a similar result. AD contending most years and Kawhi just pushing to make the playoffs.

They have about a million future first round draft picks, so that's something.

Hard to argue with that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back