2019 New Zealand vs England (5 T20Is, 2 Tests)

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolutely it was.

But it’s as though people were expecting MORE from him and he’s been a tremendous let down.

If a batsman started his career with a couple of centuries and 400 runs in an ashes series and then had a quiet first test overseas no one would say a word.
I'm not sure if people were expecting more from him, just arguing his Ashes performance wasn't exactly as shocking as it was made to be.

He had a great series, but it did take place on wickets very friendly towards bowlers against a very, very weak batting line-up.

As for batsmen, Handscomb had a similar debut series to what you described to what you described (399 runs) and people weren't going nearly as OTT about that. I'm not sure the Ashes justifies that discrepancy in the response.

Latham > Warner

We just need to find another opener to replace Raval and we will have a formidable top 6.

I'd bring back Rutherford for the Australian tour, he's far from perfect either but he couldn't be any worse than Raval.

Don't be a racist mate

Remember Ponting didn’t play that series? Even with how you spin it that is was a resounding win in Australia they still got beaten badly in South Africa and England so hardly a dominant side that has proved a lot

Both the Saffers and the English prepared some crazy wickets for us and we won a grand total of 1 toss out of 8 tests, whereas your guys played largely on slow wickets (barring Headingley) and won 6 out of 8 tosses and ended up winning one more match than us with two of your top batsmen getting banned in your tours to South Africa and England. Big deal bro:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Both the Saffers and the English prepared some crazy wickets for us and we won a grand total of 1 toss out of 8 tests, whereas your guys played largely on slow wickets (barring Headingley) and won 6 out of 8 tosses and ended up winning one more match than us with two of your top batsmen getting banned in your tours to South Africa and England. Big deal bro:rolleyes:
You're better than this Parks. Those excuses about the pitches are embarrassing.

You're better than this Parks. Those excuses about the pitches are embarrassing.

I'm serious mate, the only batting friendly wickets I remember during our tours to SA and England were Centurion (which was a subcontinental type wicket, ironically on which we had our biggest loss) and Oval, where Cook who was struggling throughout the series finally found form in the last match of his career to sign off on a high.

South Africa were hurting from the ludicrous tracks we provided them in 2015 and Cape Town got watered by the curator to surprising amounts despite the severe drought prevailing then, while I don't need to talk about the Wanderers wicket, which was close to being abandoned by day 3.

England didn't prepare greentops so much but nearly all of the wickets had lots of moisture in them (which I think was to counter against the dry summer which was predicted but actually never came during the series). This coupled with the overhead conditions, there was a crazy amount of movement in nearly all the matches, certainly in the first three. I remember reading a cricviz stat that the average swing and seam movement was the highest for a series in England since 2006 (after which their database started). It was a series where I don't remember the swing dying at all, all the way through to the second new ball. Honestly I don't mind bowler friendly conditions because it actually helps our bowling attack, but it would have been nice to win a toss or two and not have to always bat last. Only the Australian tour finally had some good batting conditions, especially at the MCG and SCG which were really flat.

Gotta say I hate hearing excuses from Indian sides about batting conditions because some of theirs are diabolical for touring teams but the SA series in particular had some devilish decks. Hashim Amla had a wretched finish to his career but he made a 60 or so on that Wanderers wicket that was an absolute masterclass

Despite some admittedly fearsome spells during the Ashes, anyone think people might’ve jumped the gun on calling Archer the next big thing in English cricket? Has one wicket in his past 60 something test overs.

He's the next big thing because the alternatives are utterly mediocre. You look at Broad who turned Warner, who is possibly in career best form into a bunny for 2 months, he goes overseas and then looks toothless (as he has for the last few years).

Simply by having pace and a game plan that works outside England he's already better then almost all options in the county setup. Based on that alone he'll lead the English attack for the next 10 years or until there's a serious system overhaul.

He's the next big thing because the alternatives are utterly mediocre. You look at Broad who turned Warner, who is possibly in career best form into a bunny for 2 months, he goes overseas and then looks toothless (as he has for the last few years).

Simply by having pace and a game plan that works outside England he's already better then almost all options in the county setup. Based on that alone he'll lead the English attack for the next 10 years or until there's a serious system overhaul.

That's not a good sign for the English team mate, Archer is no Bumrah.

Archer looks slow, bowling at around 128 - 133. Bumrah is always bowling at 140 + to 150 kph. Archer is so overrated on Bigfooty mates

(Log in to remove this ad.)

quite like the look of the kiwis. they'll give us a run for our money. if they can run through our top four batters there's a lot of fragility that follows.

Broad's bowled really well in this test. Was threatening right the way through the innings and I was pretty sure he should have had Taylor LB when that was overturned.

Archer has been the poorest of the English bowlers on this tour, not sure on what basis you're justifying that he has a game plan that works outside of England?

I had been sceptical on the hype around him, but his spells in his first couple of tests were genuinely some of the most exciting test cricket we've all seen in recent years. So while he is a long way from being a consistently successful test bowler, he certainly deserves some excitement surrounding his abilities as has a lot of gifts.

Sibley gone now, did not look settled at all in this innings in particularly after misjudging what should have been a fairly unthreatening short ball from Southee.

Fairly roadish low and slow pitch.

NZ attack looking fairly toothless at the moment.

Toss may win this game given it will probably turn on day 5, although there’s not much out there for Satner at the moment

Root with a double hundred. Thought this bowling attack was meant to be good and yes I know Boult isn't playing.

Struggling for penetration on flat decks, who would of thought......

Henry isn't a test quality bowler at the moment, he's averaging 40+ in every country he's played in.

There's only so many slower balls Wagner can bowl on a pitch like this.

The MCG road is going to be living hell for them with a top order of Warner, Smith and now Lasagne.....

Last edited:
Struggling for penetration on flat decks, who would of thought......

Henry isn't a test quality bowler at the moment, he's averaging 40+ in every country he's played in.

There's only so many slower balls Wagner can bowl on a pitch like this.

The MCG road is going to be living hell for them for a top order of Warner, Smith and now Lasagne.....

If Boult isn't fit it will be a struggle for them.

Root teeing off, trying to make the 2nd triple in a week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back