2019 New Zealand vs England (5 T20Is, 2 Tests)

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
They have no real incentive to do it as they already lead the series but with no WTC points in the line I’d love to see NZ try and see off this deficit as quick as possible and make things interesting

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
wagner is the key over here, not boult.

boult is obviously an excellent bowler but wagner has time and again proven he can persist (he’s done it again in this match) in a flat pitch and find success. I was a long time doubter of him but he’s convinced me.

He didn't really do it again.

England could of batted for another 2 days if they wanted to, they started slogging to accelerate the game.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
He didn't really do it again.

England could of batted for another 2 days if they wanted to, they started slogging to accelerate the game.

so what.

someone put their hand up to keep pounding in and again it was wagner and as a consequence NZ’s predicament is much safer than it would have been if they were chasing 150-200 to make England bat again.

on the back of 5-44 last week.
Every one of his 9 five wicket hauls have come on a surface that has produced at least one score of 437 or higher.

I shake my head at how telegraphed his wickets are at times but he is a proven performer on batting tracks. That’s invaluable when you come to australia

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Another failure from, Raval, surely he can't hold his spot for the Australian test series now, they'd be better off going back to someone like Rutherford

England probably the only team that can win this test now, NZ will just be looking to bat out a draw and win the series.
Given his domestic record I find ut Gard to believe that raval gets this many chances but Munro can’t get a look in

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
so what.

someone put their hand up to keep pounding in and again it was wagner and as a consequence NZ’s predicament is much safer than it would have been if they were chasing 150-200 to make England bat again.

on the back of 5-44 last week.
Every one of his 9 five wicket hauls have come on a surface that has produced at least one score of 437 or higher.

I shake my head at how telegraphed his wickets are at times but he is a proven performer on batting tracks. That’s invaluable when you come to australia

I don't doubt that Wagner will be their best bowler here.

Henry and Southee are the two they should be worried about.

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
NZ is like England light really going down the poaching pathway with Devon Conway looking likely to add to the growing list of players who started their first class overseas and moved to NZ to play for the black caps. This list includes current test players Neil Wagner and Colin DeGrandhome and former player like Luke Ronchi and Grant Elliott

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
NZ is like England light really going down the poaching pathway with Devon Conway looking likely to add to the growing list of players who started their first class overseas and moved to NZ to play for the black caps. This list includes current test players Neil Wagner and Colin DeGrandhome and former player like Luke Ronchi and Grant Elliott

I haven’t looked into it in depth but I think their method is a lot more un-poaching like than England’s.
They have a generally weaker competition so it’s a useful alternative for players seeking an option if they’re disillusioned with the quota system like wagner

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
I haven’t looked into it in depth but I think their method is a lot more un-poaching like than England’s.
They have a generally weaker competition so it’s a useful alternative for players seeking an option if they’re disillusioned with the quota system like wagner
Look the Plunket Shield isn’t anywhere near as strong as the County Championship. I agree that New Zealand aren’t actively trying to poach players but they are leaving spots open to qualify players.

It’s a hard one a strong NZ is bloody good for test cricket but we need to make sure South Africa doesn’t go the way of the West Indies

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
He’s been given one test - 6 years ago - to prove himself. Given how long they persisted with guptill that seems harsh
And Raval has been averaging 8 in FC cricket over the last 12 months. Think they have Conway earmarked to come in next year when he becomes eligible

Ducky Tie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 15, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Of course he’s allowed down tests and can’t dominate every match but it is interesting the series Archer has had. 22 wickets in his first four tests. Now just two so far for 209 runs in this series.

Of course he’s allowed down tests and can’t dominate every match but it is interesting the series Archer has had. 22 wickets in his first four tests. Now just two so far for 209 runs in this series.

that was always the question, very easy to get wickets at home with the Duke ball where it moves. Lets see him do it overseas

Jan 6, 2004
jfgjgfj
I see dobell still crying about pitches and the ball, for a senior cricinfo writer he really does come across like a sooky fan sometimes he was already giving the english quicks excuses after the tour game then basically spent the first three days of the series talking about how unfair the ball was (he clearly felt the game was a surefire draw) then englands batsmen got rolled on the same bowler killer deck and he stops talking about it till this test now he is saying nz are killing test cricket with these pitches.

England need to accept their bowlers aren't good enough without tons of assistance but their batsmen then aren't good enough to survive on those same bowler friendly tracks, there is no pitch that can overcome mediocrity as somebody from your side will be exposed.

Last edited:
Back