NFL 2019 NFL Draft - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

A quick look into the Ravens FO this draft

giphy.gif

They've draft 3 of the fastest skill position guys available been Hollywood Brown, Miles Boykin and now Justice Hill
Typical raven picks :tearsofjoy:

I used to put stock in QB throw speed, but the problem is in how and when it is measured.

Because it's done at the Combine but not much is made of it, there isn't really a huge incentive for QBs to throw it as hard as they might in a real game. Add in the fact that its done during one of the WR catching drills with WRs they've probably never thrown to and it actually incentivises QBs with strong arms to not throw it hard.

There is no way Colt McCoy has a stronger arm than Flacco, Mahomes, Lamar Jackson or Deshawn Watson

Better Mechanics and throwing motion can make a difference in terms of distance and a "better arm"....think about it like a golf swing, just because you hit the ball harder/the ball comes off the tee with a high velocity than someone else that doesn't mean you'll hit it longer than them, some of the easiest/most pure swings on thePGA tour hit the longest balls because the swing mechanics are so good, the timing is perfect, akin to the realease point in a throwing motion, the trajectory of the ball flight makes a lot of difference, being able to cut through the breeze.

Throwing harder doesn't = better arm or more distance. It's far more complex than that.

Last edited:

yeah....but.....how does grier have more VELOCITY 59mph than Lock at 53/54mph??? velocity = arm strength, no?
i still thought Grier had more ZIP on his passes than lock during the combine, so it evidenced itself.
but then how does grier have a "weak arm" and lock has a "big arm" then??

I don't get it.
Because he has bad habits. He can every now and then zing it but he doesnt show it consistently. He needs to turn it into a second nature

yeah....but.....how does grier have more VELOCITY 59mph than Lock at 53/54mph??? velocity = arm strength, no?
i still thought Grier had more ZIP on his passes than lock during the combine, so it evidenced itself.
but then how does grier have a "weak arm" and lock has a "big arm" then??

I don't get it.

They are meassuring top speeds. Locks top speed might only be 54mph but he may also throw aball at a larger average speed than Grier does, over say 20 yards. It can still get there quicker even tho his top speed is less than Griers is.

Griers ball might zing out of his hand but then go into a wobble mid pass over a distance, while Locks ball might be a perfect spiral throughout.

Think this is more it. Some players just throw a better deep ball than others. You may have velocity but not as good a touch. Or some players throw better slightly off balance (under pressure) than others. Some throws die quicker than others

I mean Bortles combine velocity is 10mph greater than Watson. You wouldn’t trust Bortles to throw more than 10 yards.

So probably using term arm “strength” is not right term.

SNY's Ralph Vacchiano reports the Broncos and Redskins would have drafted Daniel Jones before the Giants' pick at No. 17 had the G-Men not taken Jones at No. 6.

Braggadocious GM Dave Gettleman said he knew "for a fact" two other teams would have taken Jones had he not acted at No. 6. Vacchiano said he ascertained the teams via "NFL sources." It is a bit hard to believe considering how strongly the Redskins were connected to Dwayne Haskins. The Broncos also supposedly had Drew Lock rated as their No. 1 quarterback. Teams, of course, do all they can to shape narratives after the fact.

Related:

Source: Ralph Vacchiano on Twitter

Apr 28, 2019, 1:12 PM

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SNY's Ralph Vacchiano reports the Broncos and Redskins would have drafted Daniel Jones before the Giants' pick at No. 17 had the G-Men not taken Jones at No. 6.

Braggadocious GM Dave Gettleman said he knew "for a fact" two other teams would have taken Jones had he not acted at No. 6. Vacchiano said he ascertained the teams via "NFL sources." It is a bit hard to believe considering how strongly the Redskins were connected to Dwayne Haskins. The Broncos also supposedly had Drew Lock rated as their No. 1 quarterback. Teams, of course, do all they can to shape narratives after the fact.

Related:

Source: Ralph Vacchiano on Twitter

Apr 28, 2019, 1:12 PM

What a load of bs

Of course it's bullshit. Remember, only one GM apparently gave Jones a 1st round grade.
But regardless of all that...I still think Jones will end up an excellent QB for the Giants.
I'm sure all this angst about the pick will make Jones extra-motivated too.

Tim Tebow was as motivated as you could get. Anyway good luck to him. Not good seeing everyone laugh at you when pick was made, but it wasn’t against Jones as such just that they picked him so early. He would have been there at 17.

In many cases, it’s better to not be drafted

Posted by Mike Florio on April 27, 2019, 9:01 PM EDT

gettyimages-1145535259-e1556413298129.jpg

Getty Images

Bad news, you weren’t drafted. Good news. You weren’t drafted.

With the NFL doing such a great job of marketing the draft, players have become brainwashed to believe that getting drafted or not getting drafted represents the ultimate moratorium on their football careers. But that’s not the case.

For many players, it’s better to not be drafted than to be drafted, especially when otherwise being drafted in round seven.

Players who aren’t drafted get to pick their first NFL teams, not the other way around. They get to, with the help of their agents (assuming they have good agents . . . and good luck working this out without an agent), scour depth charts, consider coaching staffs, assess offensive or defensive systems, and find the best place to try to make the 53-man roster.

If the player is in demand, his agent can negotiate a great deal. For example, quarterback Tyree Jackson reportedly received $75,000 guaranteed to sign with the Bills.

Based on last year’s contracts, 15 drafted players received less guaranteed money than that. Besides, the signing bonus in round seven is hardly a windfall. The first pick in round seven last year received $104,000 guaranteed, which after state and local taxes will be far less than that. It’s far better to be able to pick a place where there’s a better chance to earn the rookie minimum salary of $495,000.

So, yes, for plenty of players it’s much better to not have your first NFL destination determined by the team but determined by the player. Few think of it that way, however. If more did, more would realize that it would be far better for all players to have no draft at all.

Unfortunately, anyone who points out this ultimate example of capitalism is immediately labeled a communist.

I reckon Daniel Jones will end up having a similar career to Matt Ryan.

I am not quite as optimistic on Jones as you are GG.exe , as I don"t see him hitting Ryan's status , although he could, possibly ( fingers crossed ) , if it all clicks for him..... go very , very close to matching Ryan's output .
I see more Alex Smith on a good day.

That said I think he is a good get for the NY Giants .

Must say I didn't like the reception he got from the Big Blue fans...... yeah I get it ...... he was taken a tad earlier than he warranted but they got the piece that they were looking for in the gig saw puzzle.

Eli has been a wonderful servant but he is very close to being cooked, lets just say he is now beyond "medium rare" and much closer to , "well done or cremated" .

Part of the hype and subsequent let down from the GIANTS fans comes from Gettelman who , these days, resembles a ****** clown.
Side Note: He would fit in perfectly with that other NY team "Small Green ".

He has some modest runs on the board, but the whole scene has now passed him by, he is , IMO very much yesterdays man.

He has traded out some SERIOUS talent and when you do that , you naturally do so for some serious "blue chip picks" , all looks rosy .....in theory, however if you don't maximise the leverage from those picks you ultimately come up short and look like a utensil head.

Did he really need to take Jones at 6 ..... probably not that's where some creativity , cunning and guile was required, to garner a better deal and spread of picks... thats where he has failed IMO.

Gettelman on this front comes up short :shrug: , lets put it this way....... I suspect , someone such as, Chris Ballard would have orchestrated a better outcome for Big Blue had he held their draft cards.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back