NFL 2019 NFL Draft Prospects Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Where would Murray go should he decide to nominate?
Probably mid-to-late first at best, early-to-mid second at worst.
With more and more "small" players doing well in the NFL, it'll give teams more confidence to draft them higher than they used to a long time ago. Back in the 70's/80's/90's all those small guys missed out, all those athletic/spread ones too weren't helped, just told to learn pro-set.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Dwayne Haskins makes his case to be the first overall pick

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 1, 2019, 8:42 PM EST

GettyImages-1076441606-e1546390854863.jpg

Getty Images

Ohio State quarterback Dwayne Haskins just made a big statement that he deserves to be the first overall pick in the 2019 NFL draft.
Haskins put on a sensational effort today in the Rose Bowl, throwing three touchdown passes in a win over Washington, and after that performance he may be the favorite to go first on April 25 in Nashville.
Although the 6-foot-3, 220-pound Haskins still has two years of NCAA eligibility remaining, he’s expected to turn pro. Given everything he’s accomplished this season, he has nothing more to prove in college football.
The top of this year’s draft does not have many teams that need a quarterback. The Cardinals, owners of the first pick, drafted quarterback Josh Rosen in the first round last year and are presumably out of the quarterback market this year. The 49ers at No. 2 have Jimmy Garoppolo, and the Jets at No. 3 have Sam Darnold. Are the Raiders at No. 4 ready to move on from Derek Carr? The Buccaneers at No. 5 have said they’re committed to Jameis Winston.
It’s hard to imagine the Giants at No. 6 passing on the opportunity to draft Eli Manning‘s successor. But the most likely scenario is that some team in need of a quarterback trades up to take Haskins. Probably trades up with Arizona, to take him first overall.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
An NFL evaluator told ESPN’s Mike Sando he views West Virginia QB Will Grier as a "low-end starter."

"Most of the league is going to look at him as a low-end starter or high-end backup," the evaluator said. "It's a thin crop, a guy like Grier could go earlier than he should." Grier (6'2/223) had a prolific two years at West Virginia, but there’s concern whether his size and arm strength will translate. Working in Grier's favor is he's the most accurate passer in this year’s class. In a down year for quarterbacks, Grier has a strong enough track record to sneak him into the first round.

Source: ESPN

Feb 7, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers, Stanford
anyone who takes a QB in the first round this year will be stupidly desperate. and if anyone trades up in the first round for one of these QB's they deserve the next few years of 3 win seasons.

Nov 9, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
🐍🏆Ophidian Old Boys🏆🐍 and Mizzou
Lock has regressed in 2018 tho.
Guys like Haskins, Jones, Costello, Grier, have risen above him.
Mind you, the combine/pro-days will have say too.
Different offensive game plan he had to learn this season. Took him half the season to feel comfortable with it.

Also His top reciever in Hall and TE jet Albert O, were injured for chunks.

Albert O is a smokey for 1st round this draft as well. Hes a freak

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Different offensive game plan he had to learn this season. Took him half the season to feel comfortable with it.

Also His top reciever in Hall and TE jet Albert O, were injured for chunks.

Albert O is a smokey for 1st round this draft as well. Hes a freak
Sure, I can appreciate that. And I reckon the GMs/HCs/Scouts will factor that in. But based on value around the board, Lock still could fall into the 3rd.

Nov 9, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
🐍🏆Ophidian Old Boys🏆🐍 and Mizzou
Sure, I can appreciate that. And I reckon the GMs/HCs/Scouts will factor that in. But based on value around the board, Lock still could fall into the 3rd.
Yeah, I agree teams will be reaching to take QB's this year.

It is advantage to this group of QB's though, as QB's will always be targeted early, as a team doesnt want to miss out.

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Atletico
It is advantage to this group of QB's though, as QB's will always be targeted early, as a team doesnt want to miss out.
It'll depend somewhat on whether teams have learnt from the 2011 draft class where a bunch of average prospects were pushed up the draft order because of need and only one (maybe two depending on your opinion on Dalton) worked out. Weaker QB drafts like 2013 and 2014 probably indicate that FOs have learnt somewhat and won't pick a QB in the first round just because they need one

Feb 7, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
It'll depend somewhat on whether teams have learnt from the 2011 draft class where a bunch of average prospects were pushed up the draft order because of need and only one (maybe two depending on your opinion on Dalton) worked out. Weaker QB drafts like 2013 and 2014 probably indicate that FOs have learnt somewhat and won't pick a QB in the first round just because they need one
This feels more like the 2010 draft class. with Bradford, Tebow, Clausen and McCoy.

Yes its THAT bad this year.

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Atletico
I wasn't really comparing the quality of QB draft classes, more using 2011 as the most recent example I could think of where multiple poor QBs were draft way too early in the first round.

While Sammy Sleeves hasn't worked out in the NFL, I remember him being a reasonably popular pick for #1 overall, whereas I don't think I've seen anyone seriously suggest that Dwayne Haskins should go #1

Feb 7, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
yeah but at least 2011 had Newton who can be a decent QB at times and had a couple of others who are good enough to compete for a starting job and made it to a 2nd contract.

If Haskins goes in the first round after so little time starting the HC and GM had better pack their bags next December if they make it that far.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back