NFL 2019 NFL Draft Prospects Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Ohio State QB Dwayne Haskins has announced he will forego his final two years of eligibility and enter the NFL draft.

Haskins' decision was fully expected. He slots in as arguably the top quarterback available in this year's draft. Haskins had an absolutely monster 2018 for the Buckeyes, completing 70 percent of his passes while averaging 9.1 yards per attempt. He posted a stunning 50:8 TD:INT ratio.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Dwayne Haskins said he’s “hoping” to land with Giants

Posted by Darin Gantt on January 8, 2019, 6:40 AM EST

GettyImages-1076415954-1-e1546947573566.jpg

Getty Images

Former Ohio State quarterback Dwayne Haskins declared for the 2019 NFL Draft yesterday, but he may have declared a preference in destination already.

In a profile of Haskins by Teddy Greenstein of the Chicago Tribune in December, it was mentioned to Haskins that the Giants needed a quarterback and might be a good place to start his career.

Haskins, who grew up in New Jersey, replied: “I’m hoping for that too.”

(Of course, he’ll circle back later and say it will be an honor to be chosen by any team, but it’s worth filing this one away.)

While Haskins is widely considered the top quarterback prospect in this draft, the idea of slipping to the sixth overall pick isn’t farfetched.

The teams with the top five picks (Cardinals, 49ers, Jets, Raiders, Buccaneers) either have quarterbacks in place or have made recent investments at the position which could preclude another choice.

The Giants need is clear, as the 38-year-old Eli Manning is unsure about his future. Even if he were to come back for a year, having a talented player such as Haskins behind him would be a perfect situation for the Giants.

If Haskins gets that far.

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Atletico
With the latest news that Kyler Murray looks set to declare for the draft, where does he project in the QB depth charts? Is he a first rounder?
I think he's going to be very polarizing. If you look at his stats, and the success of Baker Mayfield (from the same college) and Pat Mahomes (same division, which hadn't had a successful NFL QB drafted from it in years) then you could easily make an argument that he is a 1st rounder. The fact that he's likely to enter the draft and forgo the $5m guaranteed he's already got from the Oakland A's indicates that the NFL Draft Advisory Board have given him a first round grade.

The major downside is that he is tiny - he was listed this season at 5'9 195lbs so chances are he's actually smaller - and it will take a pretty big gamble by a GM to buck the typical NFL prototype. You only need to look at the whole kerfuffle that surrounded Russell Wilson in his draft year that resulted in him being drafted in the 3rd round because he was "too short to be an NFL QB" and he's might have 2" on Kyler.

All in all, I think if he declares he will be drafted in the first round but I wouldn't want my team to draft him (although I wouldn't have wanted my team to draft Darnold, Rosen or Allen last year fwiw)

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Ex-NFL GM Mike Lombardi is "not buying" speculation Oklahoma QB Kyler Murray will be an early first-round pick in the NFL draft.

Many seem to be assuming Murray will go top ten, and Lombardi went to great lengths to praise Murray's arm strength, athleticism, and accuracy. But decision makers inside the NFL will inevitably be terrified of 5-foot-9 Murray's stature, and Lombardi suggests Murray making himself eligible for the NFL draft is merely a ploy by agent Scott Boras to get his client more guaranteed money from the Oakland A's, who took him No. 9 overall in the MLB draft.

Source: The Athletic

-----------------------

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports NFL scouts he's spoken to grade Oklahoma QB Kyler Murray as a second- or third-round pick.

RapSheet also made it clear that Murray's decision to submit his name as a 2019 draft prospect does not necessarily mean he will play in the NFL. Murray's agent, Scott Boras, has told the Oakland Athletics his client will report to spring training on time in April. At just 5-foot-9, Murray has been bantered about as a potential top-ten pick. A day-two draft selection seems more likely considering his size and questionable-at-best dedication to football as his primary sport.

Source: NFL Network on Twitter

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How does he compare with a guy like Haskins?

Haskins is a prototypical NFL QB in terms of measurables. Height, weight, arm strength, goes through progressions...clearly the best in this class in terms of these tangibles. May have been well served staying in school but the weak competition in this class will see him get drafted higher than he would next year, even if he performed better in college.

Murray is an enigma. How does a GM justify his high selection if he washes out or turns out to be something other than a franchise QB if taken high. Who ever picks Murray, especially if taken high, needs to be all in on him, understand his strengths and weaknesses and totally revamp the offense to suit. You can't expect him to just take over from say a Manning in NY without significantly redesigning the offense. Where Murray goes will have less to do with his skills and more to do with which team is prepared to step up to the plate and be all in.....if someone does then he may go top 10 if not he could fall to the bottom or the 2nd or even 3rd round (since the first 2 rounds NFL expect near instant starters....not gimick or role players).

What do people think of Kelvin Harmon? Haven't heard much about this WR class outside of Harry and the two Browns.

I just saw a mock that had him landing in Baltimore. Would he be a good fit for Lamar? Is he a first round talent?

I read that he's a good route runner. Seems like that would have him crossed right off our scouts lists haha

Remove this Banner Ad

Back