LIVE ON ESPN/KAYO AT 10.20 AM ON 23/9: Los Angeles Rams at Cleveland
LIVE ON ESPN/KAYO AT 10.15 AM ON 24/9 : Chicago at Washington

NB: VIC, NSW, QLD, TAS times
less 30 mins SA, NT
less 1 hour QLD
less 2 hours WA

Brasher’s Weekly Musings – Indonesian Smog Edition

Tennessee
at Jacksonville Not a good week world-wide for those in the professional pyrotechnics industry. Firstly, we had Canberra Raider Joey Leulia injured by an errant firework before kick off in his teams playoff game against the Melbourne Storm (Leulia couldn’t take his place in the starting line-up but his replacement scored the opening try of the game just three minutes in – go figure!). Then we had the Titans attempting to BBQ a section of the crowd on Sunday. Personally, I’ve never understood why we need fireworks, but then again, I’m not at the game following my fantasy football team either.

Atlanta at Indianapolis Adam Vinatieri is on a personal hot streak of his own. Dating back to last year he has now missed an extra point attempt in his last three games. I wonder if the Colts will be ballsy enough to cut a future Hall of Famer should his streak continue. Given Adam’s career heroics it’s not the sort of exit you would want.

Baltimore at Kansas City In Week One, Lamar Jackson put on a passing display. In Week Two he showed us all how good he is with his legs. Got to give their coaching staff some credit for the way they have transitioned their offensive personality from a dour running and big pass play team to, as Cris Collinsworth likes to repeat ad nauseum, the RPO. So how does Andy Reid plan his defence for this? Have Patrick Mahomes throw for 10 TDs, that’s how.

Cincinnati at Buffalo How good is Bills starting QB Josh Allen? He could arguably be the best starting QB in New York. He has the equal number of wins at Metlife Stadium as does starting New York football team QBs Eli Manning and Sam Darnold in the last two years. Weird bonus fact. He is also the only NFL QB that actually plays home games in the state of New York, poignant given how Giants’ HC Pat Shurmer recently questioned Allen’s NFL qualities and his own flagging QB stocks.

Denver at Green Bay The Packers are a very dangerous team this year because they have won their first two outings so far on the back of their defence making the plays that count at the right time. This does not sound good for the rest of the league as its clear Aaron Rodgers is still getting his head around new offensive scheme. It could be much worse though for the new Packers coaching group however if Aaron Rodgers doesn’t get his head around the new offensive scheme.

Detroit at Philadelphia It’s not a direct knock on Wentz but the Eagles just seemed like a much better (and smoothly run team) with Nick Foles in control. The moment of Nelson Agholor’s critical dropped pass during the Falcons’ contest reminded me of that time when Spiderman lost all his powers and, well, just became Peter Parker again.

Miami at Dallas The Dolphins probably wouldn’t rank in the top 5 football teams in Florida right now. Gee, they might not even be worthy of a top 20 BCS ranking. It’s almost unfair on the rest of the league who don’t get to play against the Phins this year because they miss out on the extra bye week. Jerry Jones must also be ruing the NFL scheduling, three consecutive weeks that battle robot Prescott goes up against sub par defenses wont be helping his contract negotiations either, especially since he has to be wondering how long he will be able to hang on to Kellen Moore (queue the annual Jason Garret getting fired controversy).

New York Jets at New England So TB to AB is now a thing. The officiating crew were clearly all in on the romance of it all by missing a clear and obvious push off by Brown on his touchdown catch. For that matter it also shows how much the Dolphins had their head in the game by not challenging the play. Foot note: when I Googled to verify this the only responses I got related to a couple of female residents from South Beach. Foot note 2: Why is that obscure negative stories about high profile athletes only ever appear when players media scrutiny is already at stratospheric levels?

Oakland at Minnesota With the Raiders starting their road campaign in Minnie we see the curtain closed on one of the last great NFL quirks. The 2020 Raiders’ move to Vegas and the A’s season likely to be over by the time the Raiders play their next home game means we have seen for the last time a baseball diamond encroaches onto an NFL field of play. Maybe the league should schedule a throw-back stadium round…we could have indoor snow falls in Minnesota, small children falling down cracks in the stands in San Francisco, Smackdowns in Oakland and a booing contest for your favourite childhood hero in Philly.

Carolina at Arizona In his post-game press conference Cam Newton declared that it was time to “look at himself in the mirror”. Given his most recent fashion experimentations it would seem such an epiphany was well overdue. However, I think Cam is being very clever, see whilst reporters and social media are awash with commentary on Newton’s fashion “direction” they ignore some of the other more pressing questions like why Cam can’t throw or run good anymore.

New York Giants at Tampa Bay Giants Apologies to all Giants fans out there who bother to waste 5 minutes to read these weekly posts but I am going to save you some time. Whilst Eli Manning continues to start for the New York Football Giants (yes, they need to add the word football to their name so we know what sport they are playing these days) I will no longer post comment on their match ups going forward. Eli, you came into the league as a spoiled brat, looks like you will be leaving the same way. Edit: It looks like a change has been made at QB in NY but I’m too lazy to write anything else.

Houston at Los Angeles Chargers Predictably the Chargers dropped a game last week that most would have pencilled in as a win at the start of the season. Its just the Chargers being the Chargers I guess. Over on couch-land, I hope Melvin Gordon had the TV tuned to the Bengals and 49ers contest on Sunday where 3 previously undrafted FAs combined to gouge the Bengals defense for over 300 total yards. Although his replacements untimely goal line fumble helped his stocks a little, it’s not doing much for your contract demands nor for the ability of LA to get the said 1st round draft pick in a trade.

New Orleans at Seattle Another week and another chapter in the Officials Screwed the Saints book. But honestly, from the naked eye the first time you saw it, did it not look like a thrown pass? Games would need to be extended by 2 hours to account for all the extended “dead” plays and reviews. Oh, and just wait until your starting LT tears a hamstring chasing down an opposing linebacker on a play ultimately called an incompletion. This review process has gotten out of hand and ignores the one rule in its mandate that officials use to influence game outcomes more often than any other – the offensive hold call/non-call.

Pittsburgh at San Francisco Last week I suggested that Pittsburgh would probably play a lot better if their starting QB broke his arm before suiting up. This was a disappointing effort on my behalf because clearly Big Ben has lost a step when it comes to playing hurt and I have overestimated his powers of recovery and resilience. But karma is a bitch and I fully expect the ramifications of last week’s musings to result in a resounding 49er home loss.

Los Angeles Rams at Cleveland It was interesting to see the fall out that HC and future noodling reality TV show presenter, Freddie Kitchens copped for keeping his starting QB in the game despite being up big on MNF. Given the rash of serious injuries to starting QBs over the first two weeks I can understand everyone being a bit gun shy (I take a deep breath and sigh every time Jimmy G drops back to pass, but that might be more of a man crush thing). But why then not the same criticism for the Pats who kept Tom Brady in while his team beat down on the Phins? After all statistically the Miami QBs were moving the ball better for the Pats than they were for their own team.

Chicago at Washington So much focus has been put on the Bears and their kicking woes that it has become a convenient scapegoat and coverall for the fact the Bears may not be as good as first believed. Khalil Mack is all world and any team would see a spike in production trotting him out especially since he was built for former DC Vic Fangio’s scheme. But after two weeks the Bears offense has been a hot mess that lacks identity and the reason being is they continue to try and make Mitch Trubisky the centrepiece of the scheme. So effective is this concept that they called 11 consecutive running plays (and a little refereeing assistance) when the game was on the line last week to pull out the win.

Last edited:
Apart from Baltimore vs KC....what s**t bunch of broadcasted games.

I'd like to have seen Detroit vs Phili and SF vs Pit
If Brees wan't out NO v Seattle would have been a good game

If Brees wan't out NO v Seattle would have been a good game

Yea, Teddy Bridgewater sucks now unfortunately 😕

Even tho I hate the Saints I'd still like to see him perform well but he hasn't looked good in any of the games he's got some game time in with them.

Apr 8, 2008
PollieCentral
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fulham/76rsPhilsNovaDrexel/Atalanta
No weekly musings yet, ey?

Brasher getting a bit soft in old age.
Or still hungover from over-celebrating the Niners unbeaten start.

My insightful utterances:
1. Dolphins score, but only 3 points. They get 3 first downs, doubling their season total;
2. Two more QB chaps hurt;
3. Jones starts for Giants;
4. Ramsey has two ints for the Steelers;
5. OBJ gets his fave obj (watch) broken; and
6. Eagles have two fit WR at the end of their game.

No weekly musings yet, ey?

Brasher getting a bit soft in old age.
Or still hungover from over-celebrating the Niners unbeaten start.

My insightful utterances:
1. Dolphins score, but only 3 points. They get 3 first downs, doubling their season total;
2. Two more QB chaps hurt;
3. Jones starts for Giants;
4. Ramsey has two ints for the Steelers;
5. OBJ gets his fave obj (watch) broken; and
6. Eagles have two fit WR at the end of their game.

Fitzpatrick not Ramsey.

Opened a 20 point line for the Dolphins this week vs the Boys...just keeps growing each week.

Im not usually a person to bet on teams giving away such a start but less than 3 converted TDs for an offense that's clicking like the Boys is at the moment vs the Dolphins seems appealing actually.

Apr 8, 2008
PollieCentral
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fulham/76rsPhilsNovaDrexel/Atalanta
I don't care that its the Cowboys but this is cool....

How would the Dolphins version work?
Players you pick for the photo show up in other team uniforms? Or they all run off just before the photo is taken, so the fan winds up paying for a photo of them standing alone in their Fins gear?

Back