Play Nice 2019 Non AFL Admin, Crowds, Ratings, Participation etc thread

Ausbenito

Team Captain
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Should WA Footy be concerned that this season has seen 5 of the top 11 lowest WAFL crowds since 1987?

http://www.waflfootyfacts.net/team/all/attendances.php#6

I think the WAFL definitely is still relevant and supported a couple of those low attendances were due to horrible weather this year mid season.
The clubs just need a bit more financial support and for Subiaco to drop right back to the field to create more interest the womens competition will eventually be a big winner a generate more supporters from a different demographic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kwality

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 14, 2011
Tootgarook
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Renault F1
Article in The Weakened Oz on the problems of soccer in Aus, particularly the youth coming through.

Of the top 50 players in the A-League 2018/9 only 6 are 23 or under.
Only 3 of that 6 are qualified for Australia.
Of the regular starters in the A-League 58 were qualified for Australia & 40% of those were aged 30 or more.
Of the 217 Australians playing overseas 52% are under 23.

Very interesting comments about a Reserves comp or B-League here:

Are FFA up to the job?

RussellEbertHandball

Flick pass expert
Nov 16, 2004
SE Oz
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
The Mighty Blacks
Article in The Weakened Oz on the problems of soccer in Aus, particularly the youth coming through.

Of the top 50 players in the A-League 2018/9 only 6 are 23 or under.
Only 3 of that 6 are qualified for Australia.
Of the regular starters in the A-League 58 were qualified for Australia & 40% of those were aged 30 or more.
Of the 217 Australians playing overseas 52% are under 23.

Very interesting comments about a Reserves comp or B-League here:

Are FFA up to the job?
Thats why the club owners have taken over the running of the A League (like EPL and other big Euro leagues) from the FFA and Gallop resigned because they didn't want him to run the League and the FFA would cut his pay as he doesn't have to do anywhere as much work running the custodial body.

NoobPie

Premiership Player
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Thats why the club owners have taken over the running of the A League (like EPL and other big Euro leagues) from the FFA and Gallop resigned because they didn't want him to run the League and the FFA would cut his pay as he doesn't have to do anywhere as much work running the custodial body.
Haha "club owners". You mean franchise owners. Franchisees who willfully purchased franchise licences with clear conditions who then used one franchisees' political pull in a corrupt regime to basically hijack the competition

Given the franchisees were in full control of their rosters (salary cap aside) I can't see why said franchisees will suddenly start playing more young players because they now own more than their franchise licence intially granted them

RussellEbertHandball

Flick pass expert
Nov 16, 2004
SE Oz
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
The Mighty Blacks
Haha "club owners". You mean franchise owners. Franchisees who willfully purchased franchise licences with clear conditions who then used one franchisees' political pull in a corrupt regime to basically hijack the competition

Given the franchisees were in full control of their rosters (salary cap aside) I can't see why said franchisees will suddenly start playing more young players because they now own more than their franchise licence intially granted them
Who develops kids in Europe? The Football Associations or the clubs?

The club owners have no incentive to develop players the way the league was/is run. The incentive will come when they have control of youth programs and down the track they can sell players.

Look at the NSL clubs. They had control of youth development from u/10 or u/12 levels. Kids played thru juniors together. That's where the golden generation of Socceroos came from. Gallop and his mob were never going to do that sort of stuff.

Will it happen over night? No way. But now the owners - who have borne nearly all the risks of the A League - can plan their futures. Will all of them plough lots of money in to development? Probably not. But the smart ones will play the long game and have more control than in the past.

General Giant

Hall of Famer
Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS

Well now instead of getting 3 cents in the dollar on any merchandising or ticket sales they get almost all of it (despite obvious costs).
They also now own their clubs brand so will now be able to market it and also get loans.

RussellEbertHandball

Flick pass expert
Nov 16, 2004
SE Oz
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
The Mighty Blacks
Well now instead of getting 3 cents in the dollar on any merchandising or ticket sales they get almost all of it (despite obvious costs).
They also now own their clubs brand so will now be able to market it and also get loans.
s**t I knew they didn't get a lot, but I didn't realise it was that little.

General Giant

Hall of Famer
Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
s**t I knew they didn't get a lot, but I didn't realise it was that little.
Someone from the Wanderers brought it up. They could be exaggerating but it wouldn't surprise me.

The main part is the owners now own all intellectual property around their own clubs where they didn't before.

It may start slowly but things will be different.

Last edited:

giggler99

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory, Napoli, Liverpool, Pens
Someone from the Wanderers brought it up. They could be exaggerating but it wouldn't surprise me.

The main part is the owners now own all intellectual property aroind their own clubs where they didn't before.

It may start slowly but things will be different.
It was Mark Bosnich that brought it up in one of the Fox round table shows.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Top Bottom