Remove this Banner Ad

Our Game

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
Sandringham
AFL Club
Geelong
Looks like the BBL is starting to really put the heat on the A League
Last night at ANZ Stadium the A League only got 8365 and the BBL had 46,000 at the G and of course the TV ratings will be hugely in favour of the BBL.
The A League have nowhere to hide as they will also cop a beating when the AFL Preseason,AFLW,A Tennis Open and F1 GP swamp them as well.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Anyone know what the crowd at the GC was for the T20. Looked pretty good. think T20 will pick up now Christmas & NYE are out of the way.

The problem with A - league is that its a 3rd rate comp & everyone knows it. They lose their best players to Asia & Europe. Theirs no getting away from that for them unfortunately.

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Anyone know what the crowd at the GC was for the T20. Looked pretty good. think T20 will pick up now Christmas & NYE are out of the way.

The problem with A - league is that its a 3rd rate comp & everyone knows it. They lose their best players to Asia & Europe. Theirs no getting away from that for them unfortunately.
It’ll be interesting to see what happens with cricket in 20 years. India by than could have a $10trillion economy and it could pretty much be the end of Australia getting to see any high level cricket outside of internationals.
Some very interesting times ahead I think

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
It’ll be interesting to see what happens with cricket in 20 years. India by than could have a $10trillion economy and it could pretty much be the end of Australia getting to see any high level cricket outside of internationals.

Your answer had nothing to do with my post :rolleyes:, however.

Talking with sports buff friends recently we see India consolidating itself at the top of cricket. Its a good thing that the game is strong in India. The game will ride on the economic rise of India.

Australia will need to encourage kids to play the game & see the best rise through the elite programs. We should be competitive most of the time. That provided cricket Oz don't stuff it up by limiting access to seeing games on TV which reduces kids exposure to the game.

But like the AFL, CA seem only to consider the short term financial gain they make. Corporate bonuses?

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
sportscrowdaves_2011-2018.png

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder

Why do you say that? You think the IPL will expand to 6 months of the year and suck up all our best cricketers?

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Your answer had nothing to do with my post :rolleyes:, however.

Talking with sports buff friends recently we see India consolidating itself at the top of cricket. Its a good thing that the game is strong in India. The game will ride on the economic rise of India.

Australia will need to encourage kids to play the game & see the best rise through the elite programs. We should be competitive most of the time. That provided cricket Oz don't stuff it up by limiting access to seeing games on TV which reduces kids exposure to the game.

But like the AFL, CA seem only to consider the short term financial gain they make. Corporate bonuses?

Do Tests make money outside TV rights. how are the ratings going?

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Why do you say that? You think the IPL will expand to 6 months of the year and suck up all our best cricketers?
I don’t think it would even have to be that long. We aren’t that far away now, that with the amount of money IPL sides are paying that they could soon start dictating where players can and can’t play and that is only going to get a lot worse.
The thing that soccer has going for it is that the two global financial super powers atm both don’t have a strong soccer culture. This leaves wealthy nations of Germany, France, England ect all on a fairly even standing, meaning no country can ever dominate the sporting landscape financially. This insures that FIFA have control of the sport.
Cricket will just become like basketball where one country completely dominates the market because they will be financially so much stronger. The ICC will also lose power because they will rely on BCCI financially where’s compared to soccer, FIFA is not reliant on any one market.

Rabman

Club Legend
Nov 22, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
North Adelaide, Arsenal.
Love it when Wookiee post a positive Tweet about Australian Football on Twitter and the A-League and NRL fans lose their minds

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Do Tests make money outside TV rights. how are the ratings going?

I don't know but maybe in India they would. So far as TV rights go, the rankings of rights money seem to be,

IPL
ICC events
English domestic cricket
BCCI international games.
Australia
long way back to South Africa.

In that order so India is pretty cashed up anyway,

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
I don’t think it would even have to be that long. We aren’t that far away now, that with the amount of money IPL sides are paying that they could soon start dictating where players can and can’t play and that is only going to get a lot worse.
The thing that soccer has going for it is that the two global financial super powers atm both don’t have a strong soccer culture. This leaves wealthy nations of Germany, France, England ect all on a fairly even standing, meaning no country can ever dominate the sporting landscape financially. This insures that FIFA have control of the sport.
Cricket will just become like basketball where one country completely dominates the market because they will be financially so much stronger. The ICC will also lose power because they will rely on BCCI financially where’s compared to soccer, FIFA is not reliant on any one market.

We are miles away from that now. What you're talking about would require a massive culture shift in the game not just in India, but worldwide. European soccer leagues take up 9 months of the year, and the NBA isn't all that much less. If you're employed by one of those teams, then it's basically a 12 month obligation. The IPL is nothing like that, and is unlikely to become that in the short or medium term.

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
That’s why I say 20 years but it could literally go from the status quo to a primary league based sport pretty much overnight in the future. We have seen it before with World Series cricket how quickly things can change when money becomes involved.

My guess is; India with the power they will have in the future can pretty much setup a domestic comp (IPL) and play internationals around it, whenever suits them. No other country will have the resources to fight them in the future and the players will no doubt try to resist the money but sooner or later we know that money always wins out. As soon as you start getting big name English and Australian players choosing the money from IPL over international cricket the ICC will buckle and align internationals with the IPL off season and it will mean local domestic competitions will just become our version (although stronger) of the A League. Lower standard feeder leagues for an oversea’s competition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
AFL FInals attendance 2011 to 2018 = 4,614,214

NRL finals and SOO attendance 2011 to 2018 = 4,1641,546

Not going to help I'm afraid :)
Not adding enough RL events for NRL to come out on top, shows you up as the AFL stooge that you are.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Interesting graph. You can see how BBL was growing, but the past two seasons they have shunk again on a game by game basis. Continue on the same trajectory and the comp will be in ALeague territory once again.

The number of attendees between BBL 16/17 and BBL 17/18 went up from 1,053,997 to 1,140,835, but the number of games also increased by 8 (two rounds?).

Shows that new teams and more games may have to wait whilst crowds catch up, not much money in a game that averages 10,000 per game, hence why the ALeague is stuck where it is. At least the BBL gets 1m+ views on tv, but even those numbers are reducing.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
Stooge eh, I dont buy rank propaganda unlike some.
Comparison is only valid if done like for like, anything else is propaganda. No surprise that not including data that would be rank NRL propaganda is seen by you as AFL propaganda.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Comparison is only valid if done like for like, anything else is propaganda. No surprise that not including data that would be rank NRL propaganda is seen by you as AFL propaganda.

If AFL footy didnt attract bigger crowds than NRL, the MCG would be facing a similar future to Sydneys Olympic stadium. The bleedin' obvious !!
Ignore Origin because Aussie Rules (onya Leon) came up with concept but dont have a comparable product these days.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
If AFL footy didnt attract bigger crowds than NRL, the MCG would be facing a similar future to Sydneys Olympic stadium. The bleedin' obvious !!
Ignore Origin because Aussie Rules (onya Leon) came up with concept but dont have a comparable product these days.
Ignore origin because in a comparison of NRL and AFL home and away attendance, it has no place.

You do realise not including Origin in a home and away comparison doesn't obscure Origin from us?

I am aware of Origin, and it's crowds despite it not being falsely included in this comparison.

For this to be a propaganda piece, we would need to be unaware of origin if it isn't included. So, if our only knowledge of origin crowds came from home and away crowd comparisons, then not including them, and thus hiding origin crowds from us would indeed be a nefarious piece of pro AFL sculldugery. Is this what you think has happened?

Frankly, with the degree of emphasis NRL places in origin and it's crowds, I would really enjoy a comparison showing AFL home and away thrashes NRL home and away, plus finals, plus origin.

I suspect we could add every other level of league as well.

Now, that would be a propoganda piece, NRL h&a, finals, origin, state leagues verse AFL h&a.

Sent from my Lenovo TB3-710F using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back