Play Nice 2019 Non AFL Admin, Crowds, Ratings, Participation etc thread

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton

Wow, asking for a little bit there Western United/FFA. They can bugger off TBH. Prefer that money spent elsewhere that actually keeps the money in the state. An actual football/soccer ground which can host an FFA cup game for one. Plus there is no value here for the Tass Taxpayer.

In comparison, the NBL asked for 300K for the 9 team NBL Blitz pre-season comp with clinics all around the state. And North get 500K per game( I think, but I am in the right forum if I got that wrong)

No harm in asking, no chance to get that though

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
It won’t be valued highly considering they will be lucky to bring 100 supporters with them.
And the "away" team won't be much help at all, as it will not be a further Victorian team.

Heck, they probably send the Nix and CCM our ways. For a team with no actual home ground in Melbourne, they are asking for a laughable amount and it is a complete misread of the market.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hahahaha, a soccer franchise that hasn't played yet is asking for the same amount of money as and AFL club. The delusions of grandeur of Australian soccer is boundless !

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Hahahaha, a soccer franchise that hasn't played yet is asking for the same amount of money as and AFL club. The delusions of grandeur of Australian soccer is boundless !

So are you suggesting its a North style $ask? Note the tweet* suggests looking for both State & Fed is being chased.

* I wouldnt believe anything tweeted unless I could confirm it.

It will be interesting to redo this in 5 and 10 years time and see what traction GWS make. They have tapped in to Canberra really well, but if they really connect into western Sydney and county NSW they could become bigger than the Swans.

The other benefit GWS has, if they ever become financial they could build a decent social venue at Sydney Olympic Park or close by where there is vacant land and the property costs are a lot less than in the eastern suburbs near the SCG.

The swans partnership, I think with ING, where they refurbished the old Aussie Rules club in Kings Cross last decade, to make a new home for swans (Club Swans) and their members and drive new revenue streams, after a good start for a couple of years in 2007 and 2008, flopped and was closed down around 2012, long before the lock out laws came in and changed the Cross substantially.

Edit; venue shut down in May 2011. Lock out laws introduced in 2014.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Given the Sydney market is notorious for fans disappearing when you start losing regularly those numbers for GWS are a concern when just under 60% of revenue is from AFL distributions.

Its not easy breaking into another sports heartland as Vic sports fans know from the work done to get the Storm a place in the local sporting landscape.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
The NRL is introducing "League Stars": a RL-oriented skills' program (but strictly non-contact) for boys & girls aged 5-12, & is aiming for an even split of boys & girls. It will run only after school hours, not weekends. 4 weeks, $49, & 8 weeks $99.
The initial trials have been very successful, as c.75% have not played contact RL before.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
See RA is meeting with Twiggy Forrest during the Bedisloe Cup at Optus Stadium this weekend. WA Rugby is still reeling from RA ditching the Western Force, & needs a $mil to be solvent.
Its WA taxpayer money stumping up the fixture & its not likely to be repeated, despite the sellout, this deal was put in place before RA stuck the fork into the Force.

Our Game

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
Sandringham
AFL Club
Geelong
I read somewhere that Optus Stadium can sell more than 65,000 with extra standing room for AFL finals.Is that true?

Cmarsh

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2012
NSW
AFL Club
GWS
The NRL is introducing "League Stars": a RL-oriented skills' program (but strictly non-contact) for boys & girls aged 5-12, & is aiming for an even split of boys & girls. It will run only after school hours, not weekends. 4 weeks, $49, & 8 weeks $99.
The initial trials have been very successful, as c.75% have not played contact RL before.

Sounds like pretty much a copy of auskick. Even using the term "participants" which nrl trolls love to deride about auskick. Hmmm.

Back