Play Nice 2019 Non AFL Admin, Crowds, Ratings, Participation etc thread

Remove this Banner Ad

no money changed hands, its a service for a service.

The MD told his staff they are "charging to show it"

The money not changing hands might be a useful work around the act though.

I wonder whether Foxtel got to reduce their exposure as part of the whole shebang

More interesting the MD explained to the staff not their bankers (thats me, & you)

I think you'll find the ABC does a stellar job paying celebrities who live within a 5k radius of ultimo to tell us how important the ABC is to tell our stories!

Hmmmm, I suspect it might be the bigfooty lurkers who primarily support other codes or the WAFL in the 1970s With the sourgrapes!

This guy might have (well founded) sour grapes but I Suspect he is also accurate....

ha. I would (almost) take your opinion before these guys one.

Would love to know how they came up with that figure. Did they actually try to count the crowd? It is either the most dedicated and a fruitless case of sour grapes I have seen or an outright lie.

Would love to know how they came up with that figure. Did they actually try to count the crowd? It is either the most dedicated and a fruitless case of sour grapes I have seen or an outright lie.

I think they used to call people like him "bitters" but it is the diehard fans of the franchise league that seem to be where all the bitterness is now.

A cruel, ironic, fate but what moral high ground do fans of a tanking franchise league have over fans of clubs that were disenfranchised that, without a hint of empathy, were dismissed as "bitters"?

Anyway, I'm finding this all very fascinating ....

;)

As Sydney centric as the AFL is Melb centric?

Certainly more so when you factor in who is paying for it and their choice in doing so!

I think it is more than just being syd centric....it's about how culturally representative it is as well

smfc in the handle, self serving guesstimates.

Well looks like this Hellas fan does manual counts at other games as well

What should we go off a weighted average ?

Assuming he's being truthful, he and his mates decided on a Saturday to drive to KP, stand outside the entry gates and manually count everyone who entered for hours.

So he's either really sad, or a liar. Or both.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Assuming he's being truthful, he and his mates decided on a Saturday to drive to KP, stand outside the entry gates and manually count everyone who entered for hours.

So he's either really sad, or a liar. Or both.

Yeah, I wouldn't assume he's being truthful....but I certainly wouldn't assume the a league official attendances are either

1. The Australian B. Read 18.10

NRL CEO T. Greenberg has spoken to NRL Clubs about the preliminary Report he will present to the NRL Commission "on the game's footprint" in a few weeks- telling Club officals "...not to expect any headlines". I assume by that, despite expansion analyses being formally discussed for years, he will not, yet, be making any definitive recommendations on expansion.

Qld. RL Official B. Hatcher states there needs to be at be at least one fewer Sydney NRL club/s, because many are in severe financial stress- & one of these should relocate to Brisbane, as the 2nd side in Brisbane. Hatcher believes the NRL should not expand ie remain at 16 teams.

(paywall- can anyone open it, & post here)

2. Sad.

Last edited:
1. The Australian B. Read 18.10

NRL CEO T. Greenburg has spoken to NRL Clubs about the preliminary Report he will present to the NRL Commission "on the game's footprint" in a few weeks- telling Club officals "...not to expect any headlines". I assume by that he will not, yet, be making any definitive recommendations on expansion.

Qld. RL Official B. Hatcher states there needs to be at be at least one fewer Sydney NRL clubs, because many are in severe financial stress- & one of these should relocate to Brisbane, as the 2nd side in Brisbane. Hatcher believes the NRL should not expand ie remain at 16 teams.

2. Sad.

Pretty sure the sponsor recommitted due to the backlash.

Hatcher has previously spoken to The Australian about the need to streamline the number of clubs in Sydney and nothing has changed.

Hatcher reiterated his belief that a Sydney club must make way to cater for a second team in Brisbane.

“I don’t care what people say, I still think it is one of the most sensible suggestions — don’t add more teams, just relocate,” Hatcher said.

“I would need — and any businessman would need — to see how you sustain another team or another two teams. If you had a blueprint showing 16 NRL clubs making substantial profits, all stable and progressive, I would say yes you are right.

“But it is probably the exact opposite of that. There are a couple who are well run and standing on their own two feet. Then there are a heap on the brink.’

There are other issues discussed including jumper sponsorships:
The days of cash-strapped clubs giving away space on their jersey in cheap sponsorship deals may be coming to an end.
The NRL is believed to have discussed placing minimum standards around sponsorship of clubs, its fear that those that are poorly-run are driving down the value for those who have no trouble attracting the corporate dollar.

It is believed the prospect of more stringent controls around sponsorship have been discussed as part of talks over perpetual licensing agreements that would guarantee the existing 16 clubs their future in the premiership.

Daily Telegraph Julian Linden 21.10
"Australian Rugby About To Tear Itself To Shreds" headline.

Behind a paywall- can anyone open, & post here?

The Wallabies have probably had their biggest loss ever at any Rugby WC, going down easily to England , 40-16 (& were beaten by Wales, & had some troubles in their wins over Fiji & Georgia). They are now ranked 7 in the world, probably lowest ever; &, for first time ever, are ranked below Japan.
Expect bloodletting & recriminations for some time.

There is hope for RU progress in Aust., though, in the next few years. In 2019, the Aust. U 20 RU team lost the World U 20 Championship to France, 24-23 in the Final; & defeated the formidable U18 NZ Schoolboys for the first time in 7 years.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back