Play Nice 2019 Non AFL Admin, Crowds, Ratings, Participation etc thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Yesterday's ratings

Cricket on foxtel got 198K and 170K

NZ v england got 55K

No A league in the top 20 with a 35K cut off

I only worked out what he meant after reading your reply!

An international event with no Aus or NZ involvement ... the true believers.

Note the local rugby admin are still floundering, Sydney club rugby is the heartland but its not the block to build the game on nationally & the addition of Qld wont do it IMHO:

It'll be about preservation of the clubs not an elite competition, there is a case study IF they look.

Last edited:
An international event with no Aus or NZ involvement ... the true believers.

Note the local rugby admin are still floundering, Sydney club rugby is the heartland but its not the block to build the game on nationally & the addition of Qld wont do it IMHO:

It'll be about preservation of the clubs not an elite competition, there is a case study IF they look.
Rugby has a problem like Soccer in Australia imop. The high profile and professional nature of the sport sort of forces them to act like hugely successful, top of the tree sports, despite that not being the case domestically.

They have to compete in international markets for top talent, but lack the financial clout to do so. Not only can't the attract top international talent, they cannot keep the best domestic talent.

Then they have to go and sell their local league as a premium product worth attention and dollars.

The A league is a feeder league, and to a lesser extent, so is Australian rugby.

A league is to World soccer what the WAFL is to Australian football, and the WAFL has the same issue getting locals to pay attention that the A league does.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Rugby has a problem like Soccer in Australia imop. The high profile and professional nature of the sport sort of forces them to act like hugely successful, top of the tree sports, despite that not being the case domestically.

They have to compete in international markets for top talent, but lack the financial clout to do so. Not only can't the attract top international talent, they cannot keep the best domestic talent.

Then they have to go and sell their local league as a premium product worth attention and dollars.

The A league is a feeder league, and to a lesser extent, so is Australian rugby.

A league is to World soccer what the WAFL is to Australian football, and the WAFL has the same issue getting locals to pay attention that the A league does.

Certainly true of the A-League, hence my contempt for attempts here to compare it with AFL footy.

Rugby is a different beast, bit like Aussie Rules was in the State League era, & amalgamating the NSW & Q club comps will result in a lopsided comp that will battle to go truly national, protecting the remnants of yesteryear a roadblock going forward, as both the AFL & NRL have demonstrated.

Actually the A League is to world soccer what the WAFL was to Australian football in the 80s. The A League is still the premier soccer competition in Australia. The AFL is the premier football competition in WA.

The A League's only real issue is the expectations placed on it by the desperate inferiority complex of a chunk of Australian soccer fans. If Australian rugby had a domestic competition like the A League it would be fine but instead it has Super rugby and the NRC

Ironically, in terms of standard, Super Rugby is easily the highest standard "club" rugby competition

Certainly true of the A-League, hence my contempt for attempts here to compare it with AFL footy.

Sadly you're trapped in your little obtuse bubble of contempt as you lack the subtlety of mind to grasp most of the comparisons made around here

You should feel for the rest of us who have to put up with your borish interjections!

Rugby is a different beast, bit like Aussie Rules was in the State League era, & amalgamating the NSW & Q club comps will result in a lopsided comp that will battle to go truly national, protecting the remnants of yesteryear a roadblock going forward, as both the AFL & NRL have demonstrated.

The NRL you could make a case but even it has more than held its own despite ever declining participation figures and really poor crowds particularly in Sydney where most the teams are....and just one Brisbane team that is always on FTA and the only team with AFL-level crowds.

On the other-hand, the AFL is going gangbusters everywhere and seems very well balanced

The average crowds at the main stadiums are higher for 10 Victorian teams than they are everywhere except in Perth

1572831847216.png

Last edited:
The A League's only real issue is the expectations placed on it by the desperate inferiority complex of a chunk of Australian soccer fans

On that I do agree, well remember el supremo of the day David Hill (also ABC MD) convincing a motley cabal of media moguls to call soccer football & to this day the likes of Whateley defend it. In Australia, as in the US, its soccer.

Just 81,408 at Flemington for the Melbourne Cup. Lowest since 1993 and 5th lowest in last 40 years.

Interesting that it’s a virtually identical number to Derby Day despite the terrible weather last Saturday and very nice weather today.

Been on a consistent decline since 2015.

2010 = 110,223
2011 = 105,979
2012 = 106,162
2013 = 104,169
2014 = 100,794
2015 = 101,015
2016 = 97,479
2017 = 90,536
2018 = 83,571
2019 = 81,408

As a casual observer, it feels like the Cup has lost some hype around it. The lead up to it hasn't felt as big as it did 5 to 10 years ago.

I suspect issues to do with cruelty have started to take its toll on the industry. Today was a perfect sunny day with a cool breeze and yet it was lower than last year which was a wet and rainy day.

I suspect issues to do with cruelty have started to take its toll on the industry. Today was a perfect sunny day with a cool breeze and yet it was lower than last year which was a wet and rainy day.

Not sure why Derby Day performed comparatively better, in the current climate.

It will be interesting to see what Oaks Day and Stakes Day bring given the poor forecast for both days.

The VRC etc might have to work hard to get people back on side.

Though as someone who lives literally around the corner from Flemington I didn’t mind a few thousand less drunks roaming the streets this afternoon/evening.

2010 = 110,223
2011 = 105,979
2012 = 106,162
2013 = 104,169
2014 = 100,794
2015 = 101,015
2016 = 97,479
2017 = 90,536
2018 = 83,571
2019 = 81,408

As a casual observer, it feels like the Cup has lost some hype around it. The lead up to it hasn't felt as big as it did 5 to 10 years ago.

Yeh I think this is right. I also think people get sick of being ripped off year after for the exact same thing when most don’t actually have much interest in the sport.

Yeh I think this is right. I also think people get sick of being ripped off year after for the exact same thing when most don’t actually have much interest in the sport.
Dont think its the cruelty issue as such. The drop off this year isnt more marked than previous years, if anything, its less. I just think its a little old school these days. I think the interest of non punters is drying up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dont think its the cruelty issue as such. The drop off this year isnt more marked than previous years, if anything, its less. I just think its a little old school these days. I think the interest of non punters is drying up.

for non punters its cram packed, expensive, takes forever to get a drink, and its not uncommon to have people drop food, spill drinks, puke on you

i reckon the "lets get wasted" crowd are driving some of the theatre goers away

2010 = 110,223
2011 = 105,979
2012 = 106,162
2013 = 104,169
2014 = 100,794
2015 = 101,015
2016 = 97,479
2017 = 90,536
2018 = 83,571
2019 = 81,408

FIFO runners makes it a one off, not the days when the Caulfield Cup, Werribee & Geelong built to cup day.

2010 = 110,223
2011 = 105,979
2012 = 106,162
2013 = 104,169
2014 = 100,794
2015 = 101,015
2016 = 97,479
2017 = 90,536
2018 = 83,571
2019 = 81,408

A report in the SMH/AGE claims that nearly half the people are not from Melbourne/Victoria and that is a good thing for the economy.
There are 3 cruise ships from Sydney and Brisbane in port and thats about 5000 people that go to the Cup as their ticket includes admission to the Cup
I also think the high cost of general admission of $90.00 and high price for food and drink is having an effect.

The VRC said a few years ago they wanted to limit the crowds to stop the unruly behaviour and one way to achieve that is to bump the prices up and keep the riff raff out and dont forget its live against the gate in Melbourne so you dont have to go the track to see the race live.
The general economic downturn with the public watching their pennies carefully would also have a negative effect as it is on most other sports atm witness the very ordinary 8800 crowd at the AUS V Pak T20 in Canberra tonight following only 19,000 at the SCG - the only major sport that is on the up marginally is basketball.

Both the soccer and cricket crowds so far this year have been ordinary to say the least.
It will be interesting to see if the Australian Tennis Open also is down this year.

Last edited:
A report in the SMH/AGE claims that nearly half the people are not from Melbourne/Victoria and that is a good thing for the economy.
There are 3 cruise ships from Sydney and Brisbane in port and thats about 5000 people that go to the Cup as their ticket includes admission to the Cup
I also think the high cost of general admission of $90.00 and high price for food and drink is having an effect.

The VRC said a few years ago they wanted to limit the crowds to stop the unruly behaviour and one way to achieve that is to bump the prices up and keep the riff raff out and dont forget its live against the gate in Melbourne so you dont have to go the track to see the race live.
The general economic downturn with the public watching their pennies carefully would also have a negative effect as it is on most other sports atm the only major sport that is on the up is basketball.

Both the soccer and cricket crowds so far this year have been ordinary to say the least.
It will be interesting to see if the Australian Tennis Open also is down this year.

Try flying out of Adelaide on a day like today, a working day in the rest of Australia, forget the cruise ships.

The general economic downturn with the public watching their pennies carefully would also have a negative effect as it is on most other sports atm the only major sport that is on the up is basketball.

The last time I went, i went home with a couple of dollars change left from $400. That was taxis, Ticket, food and drinks. No bets or clothes included. It’s a great day but way over priced for most

TV ratings for the Melbourne Cup down by almost 500k on last year.

I suspect the recent racing industry revelations weren't going to have a major impact on the regular or diehard race fan but those who have a more general interest who have been turned off by what they learnt. Therefore the TV ratings being more greatly impacted than the crowd this year makes sense.

The strength of the Melbourne Cup is that especially in Victoria because it's treated as such a major cultural event we've felt obliged to go along with it and feel a part of it. But that's been declining for a while now and that ABC story has significantly accelerated that process.

No denying the problems both rugby codes face on an international scale:

Sonny Bill Williams will be unveiled as the highest-paid player in the history of either code of rugby next week after agreeing a two-year deal with Toronto Wolfpack. The 34-year-old has agreed to return to the 13-man code with the Super League newcomers, who will pay him a reported £2.6m annual salary – a figure which exceeds the total annual spend of every other league club in the northern hemisphere.

2010 = 110,223
2011 = 105,979
2012 = 106,162
2013 = 104,169
2014 = 100,794
2015 = 101,015
2016 = 97,479
2017 = 90,536
2018 = 83,571
2019 = 81,408

Victoria Derby in the naughties regularly had bigger crowds than Melbourne Cup - 7 of the 10 years inc track record of 129,089 in 2006. The VRC changed the marketing for that event in the late 1990's pushing its the day for the racing pursuit.

Then the marketing of the MC changed this decade, but most years the Derby draws crowds of 90,000, although this year the weather was ratshit and only got just over 80,000.

Click on the + on the Melbourne Cup Carnival track attendances box to go back to 1980 attendances for the carnival days.

No denying the problems both rugby codes face on an international scale:[?]
Sonny Bill Williams will be unveiled as the highest-paid player in the history of either code of rugby next week after agreeing a two-year deal with Toronto Wolfpack. The 34-year-old has agreed to return to the 13-man code with the Super League newcomers, who will pay him a reported £2.6m annual salary – a figure which exceeds the total annual spend of every other league club in the northern hemisphere.
1. I consider paying SBW c. $5,000,000 pa a big win for RL generally, & the British RL Super league in particular.
I accept, however, many top Aust. based RL & RU players will be very keen to go to Europe to obtain such high salaries.

2. The FFA has scored a major propaganda & promotional victory by obtaining the support of the PFA to divide equally some of the commercial gains of competing in soccer WC's between female & male players ie their remuneration will be equal.

Excluding some pro tennis comps, this is a world first, & will attract international attention. It will be greatly beneficial for female soccer in Aust.- some MSM commentators are saying it foreshadows much greater financial commitment by the FFA into elite & GR female soccer in Aust.
The fight by various sports to attract the most athletic females in Australia has just increased.

(This site for teenagers regularly has MSM articles that are often behind paywalls, as this Daily Telegraph item was)

Last edited:
Then the marketing of the MC changed this decade, but most years the Derby draws crowds of 90,000, although this year the weather was ratshit and only got just over 80,000.

Im surprised it got 80,000 considering the shocking weather on Saturday I normally go to the Whittlesea Show on the first Sat in Nov and someone who I know had stall there this year was down 90 % on the usual take so to get 80,000 to the races was a great turnout..

Still 4 x times what the "new Golden Eagle race got at Rosehill in Sydney at the same time!

So much for the blowhard V'landys being the marketing guru he claims to be.

Lets see how he goes taking on the AFL now he is chairman of the NRL

Ch7 vs Ch10.

Massive factor
Nationally, Tuesday’s Melbourne Cup race was watched by around 1.9 million people – down from 2018’s combined metropolitan and regional audience of 2.5 million. The majority of viewers came from Melbourne (662,000), with 269,000 tuning-in from Sydney and 191,000 in Brisbane. An average 1.13 million metropolitan viewers tuned in to watch the Melbourne Cup presentation.

The figures in Sydney and Brisbane are still pretty good for a working Tuesday

"Apart from linear TV and 10 Play, the cup could also be streamed on Racing.com's website and TV channel, Sky streaming, Ladbrokes, Sportsbet, BetEasy and TAB streaming. Foxtel-owned streaming service Kayo Sports also join the fray this year."

I think these factors are now having an effect on the FTA broadcast!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back