Play Nice 2019 Non AFL Admin, Crowds, Ratings, Participation etc thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
This is the great unknown re the $30 mill offer for the rugby rights, we don't know if that's inclusive of the international rights (actually, the $30 mill is a speculative number, the Fox offer was less than that).

The last deal was around $58 mill per annum, and about half was coming from the international rights.

So if the $30 mill does not include the international rights, then it's a similar deal to last time, although represents a small decrease in real terms.

If Fox end up getting the domestic rights for less than $29 mill, we will have our first example of the rights of one of the football codes going backwards in absolute terms.

How does the splitting of the rights to Super Rugby work? Does each country just keep the proceeds raised from their own market? In which case, how do the international rights get split?

May 13, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Brumbies, Socceroos
How does the splitting of the rights to Super Rugby work? Does each country just keep the proceeds raised from their own market? In which case, how do the international rights get split?

I'm pretty sure all the international rights are pooled, and then SANZAAR works out a split.
Also pretty sure that last time, Australia did quite well out of the split relative to what they would have brought in.
I'm guessing Sth Africa brings in the most international revenue because of good time slot in Europe.

Aussie in exile

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Alan Jones is a deeply toxic and disordered personality. This is obvious

Rugby administrators have made many mistakes, but the likes of Alan Jones make it impossible. It's like having the most unhinged bigfooty hand wringer having more power than the AFL commission

And he doesn't like raeline castle. What a shock that is. Must be something about that person that triggers a deep visceral hatred in Alan. I wonder what it is?
Alan Jones attracts attention which = listeners to his Radio show, which his bosses are delighted about.
Its all about him and his views and its working.Its me me me from him.
Whether he believes all he spouts out i don't know, but he attracts controversy and he loves it and it keeps him in the public eye.

Based on recent discussions in the next media rights deal thread, robbieando has good knowledge on that issue.

TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
The China issue has reared its head recently. For those not keeping up to date,

Essentially, an NBA Houston Rocket GM tweeted his support for HK and China censors don't like that and have tried to censor the NBA, which other people don't like and boom. More detail in the article. The NBA isn't the only own goal by China censors this week. #Blizzardboycott has been trending on twitter, in relation to E-sports player who shared similar sentiments and was banned for a year. Raises the question of how close should you get to China. The morals of accepting money and then being forced to be silent. Of course, Port have that China game(and $6 million in revenue) but it has got much broader issues than that. I am sure people can find money from Chinese companies in all our major sports. It is also a much bigger issue overseas, as we have seen in the NBA. The WTA, for example, has huge revenues from China, probably the most % of revenue from a major sports organisation. If a player tweeted on Hong Kong, I wonder what would happen.....I shudder to think.

I, personally, don't really fear or dislike China(outside the 3 T's and the U) but I am not happy that players/fans are being forced to censure themselves in our own country. My line is there.

This is a touchy subject, as it draws politics into sport and that is something I do dislike and try to avoid. But I just hope the AFL/NRL etc do not compromise its own governing edicts over the Chinese goldmine. As South Park put it "anybody who would betray their ideals just to make money in China isn't worth a lick of spit"
Good post and totally agree as most Aussies have no idea about China and its motives. Its called sleepwalking into being a Chinese economic colony by 2050 or earlier.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Alan Jones attracts attention which = listeners to his Radio show, which his bosses are delighted about.
Its all about him and his views and its working.Its me me me from him.
Whether he believes all he spouts out i don't know, but he attracts controversy and he loves it and it keeps him in the public eye.

Its almost as if his radio job is to attract listeners, there is a publicly available scoreboard which says he is top of the class.
What thats got to do with Union, other than attract more commentary beyond his radio audience. Remember 16% listen to him, 84% dont.

Calling a spade a spade he has plenty of detractors & IMHO we are seeing some of those detractors looking to shitcan him, using Union as a tool.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Its almost as if his radio job is to attract listeners, there is a publicly available scoreboard which says he is top of the class.

That adolf hitler was a real winner when he won those elections back in the 30s

What thats got to do with Union, other than attract more commentary beyond his radio audience. Remember 16% listen to him, 84% dont.

Calling a spade a spade he has plenty of detractors & IMHO we are seeing some of those detractors looking to shitcan him, using Union as a tool.

Alan Jones is a massive spade and a tool. He apparently likes hanging out in the shitcan too

Some people are absolutely vile and toxic. If they have some degree of popularity that just makes them more destructive. Using their popularity as a defence is fallacy 101

Alan Jones is about is bad as they come in a democracy with strong institutions like Australia. Sadly, he has too much influence over Australian rugby. The fact that he was given the barbarians gig last year is demonstrative of the absurd amount of energy that would need to be expended to placate the campaigner

Last edited:

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Good post and totally agree as most Aussies have no idea about China and its motives. Its called sleepwalking into being a Chinese economic colony by 2050 or earlier.

But you clearly know and you're Australian?

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
Based on recent discussions in the next media rights deal thread, robbieando has good knowledge on that issue.

My understanding is the 4 SANZAAR Unions (South Africa, New Zealand, Australia and Argentina) get to keep the TV money they raise from their local rights for the SANZAAR matches (Rugby Championships and Super Rugby), Home Tests matches not under the SANZAAR banner and local competitions.

They then let SANZAAR the body sell the International TV Rights and then split the money 4 unequal ways as set out as part of the SANZAAR agreement. The splits have never been made public as far as I'm aware.

I would think the Optus bid is for the Australian rights and AR would still be waiting on the International split to come in.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
My understanding is the 4 SANZAAR Unions (South Africa, New Zealand, Australia and Argentina) get to keep the TV money they raise from their local rights for the SANZAAR matches (Rugby Championships and Super Rugby), Home Tests matches not under the SANZAAR banner and local competitions.

They then let SANZAAR the body sell the International TV Rights and then split the money 4 unequal ways as set out as part of the SANZAAR agreement. The splits have never been made public as far as I'm aware.

I would think the Optus bid is for the Australian rights and AR would still be waiting on the International split to come in.

This was my understanding. I think the South African timezone drives up the international rights (because europe)

Jones has 16% of about 25-30% of the population who turn onto morning radio in Sydney market. That is about 250,000 people. A lot of people, but still a small minority view in the totality of things in a 5,000,000+ people city.

Yet politicians are scared of his influence - he doesn't have any legal power - just public influence. He is playing to his market, which has few competitors, compared to the morning music market or lighter entertainment market.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Alan Jones being compared to Adolf Hitler is not where I imagined this thread was heading.

Having a 16 per cent market share to manipulate Rugby Australia is probably less heinous though than using a minority government to pass the Enabling Act.

Alan Jones wasn't compared to Adolf Hitler in this thread.

There is a difference between Godwin's law kicking in and using hitler as an extreme example of the absurdity of using popularity as an ipso facto claim to merit. I suspect you know that though

Feb 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne

There is a difference between Godwin's law kicking in and using hitler as an extreme example of the absurdity of using popularity as an ipso facto claim to merit. I suspect you know that though

No, you deliberately overstretched to prove a point.

I suspect you know that though.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
No, you deliberately overstretched to prove a point.

I suspect you know that though.

Ummm, no.

If popularity alone determines merit then it follows that Hitler must have had merit

If this is denied then we can reject any further arguments of merit based on Alan Jones' radio ratings

I would have thought there was a stronger case to "overstretching" when I suggested him dying would be the best thing that could happen to rugby

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1

Godwin, half back flanker for Melbourne reserves ...

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
We know thats your view, we were trying to discuss Union before you borrowed Issys pulpit.

My point has been very clear - he is toxic for rugby union. It was initiated by someone posting a column about Australian rugby by Alan Jones

The fact that you can't follow basic logic is your problem (and mine to be fair every-time I engage with you like this!)

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
My point has been very clear - he is toxic for rugby union. It was initiated by someone posting a column about Australian rugby by Alan Jones

The fact that you can't follow basic logic is your problem (and mine to be fair every-time I engage with you like this!)

Your point was to take the subject off course, yet someone else is at fault.

The drivel you posted re Jones has zip to do with the Union discussion & you added zip to what is on the public record about Jones personally or professionally. Basic logic you say :rolleyes:

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Your point was to take the subject off course, yet someone else is at fault.

The drivel you posted re Jones has zip to do with the Union discussion & you added zip to what is on the public record about Jones personally or professionally. Basic logic you say :rolleyes:

Playing chess with a pigeon here

Remove this Banner Ad

Back