2019 Non-Crows AFL Chat #3 - the off-season

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If nothing we have in common, and we hate eachother as clubs. As we should. We should hate the media more and not believe s**t from their filthy mouths.

Our rivalry is bad enough without the media needing to stir it up. I don't care what anyone says. Port Adelaide and the Crows have created a new history in the AFL. It's like a pub fight in a dingy old dark bar that's flowed over the street to to the more classy pub across the street.

No one can break the fight up. Not even the cops. It's a fight that will and should go on forever. We don't want homebrew in that dingy pub. We want good scotch and craft beers. But Port Adelaide deserves the best red port.

Where does this rumour come from? Caro? And deferred player payments? Caro? Did you believe Caro when she said some of your players were tied up to trees at that camp?
It’s a thin correlation you give regarding Caro, and let’s be clear I haven’t said I believe her either way or take what she says as gospel but the facts that lead me to think that she has a point is exactly what I posted before.
-Port haven’t posted a significant profit for years (even with the massive uplift from a new AO).

-Haven’t made a profit from China (Thomas hopes to make a modest one this year......”hopes”)

-Haven’t secured the large sponsors they hoped.

-Experiencing significant drops in membership and attendance this year after significant drops in previous years.

-There’s plenty of other AFL clubs that are millions in debt, again, why do you think Port wouldn’t be one of them now that I’ve made it easy for you to understand?

So put all that together and you’ve got a basis for her point being true, Rucci pretty well backed it up the following day.

So just to entertain your fanciful comparison of players being tied to trees ask yourself if there were the same facts leading up to this supposed event taking place and since.
It’s a stupid example.

Where does this rumour come from? Caro? And deferred player payments? Caro? Did you believe Caro when she said some of your players were tied up to trees at that camp?
That was Choco on the piss!

I got to be honest and say I think Caro is talking BS and probably being fed by Bulcher, Kerns manager (and Tippets) some lines to make Port look mismanaged.

I doubt the AFL would allow the funding they provide for player salaries to be used for business operations. I doubt they just hand each club the TPP funding as a whole cash payment and say do what you want.

The TPP would be heavily scrutinised and I would bet the AFL only send the exact funds used in that year and hold any unspent funding for future use. Not let the clubs just have it.

If what Caro said was true and KT and Kochie were using this funding for any other payments they would be in a lot of trouble. It would be maladministration on a scale far worse than Triggy.

But I do believe China is a complete failure for Port. Heard from a few profesional sources this is the case. But a success for a lot of small SA businesses.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I got to be honest and say I think Caro is talking BS and probably being fed by Bulcher, Kerns manager (and Tippets) some lines to make Port look mismanaged.

I doubt the AFL would allow the funding they provide for player salaries to be used for business operations. I doubt they just hand each club the TPP funding as a whole cash payment and say do what you want.

The TPP would be heavily scrutinised and I would bet the AFL only send the exact funds used in that year and hold any unspent funding for future use. Not let the clubs just have it.

If what Caro said was true and KT and Kochie were using this funding for any other payments they would be in a lot of trouble. It would be maladministration on a scale far worse than Triggy.

But I do believe China is a complete failure for Port. Heard from a few profesional sources this is the case. But a success for a lot of small SA businesses.

Irrespective of the funding if payments are carried over to the following year, they are not an expense in that year and inflate that year’s results.

Tredrea has also backed up the story, he would know.

Where is Kochie and KT coming out and denying the story?

Interesting story about Choco not getting paid out of his contract by powa when he was sacked. (Was also told to say it was mutual decision but it wasn't.) They promised him the payout for his final year and they reneged. He was going to get AFL intervention but chose against it as it was likely to push powa into bankruptcy...

Makes you wonder why they think others are tearing them apart. They seem to do a very good job themselves....

Irrespective of the funding if payments are carried over to the following year, they are not an expense in that year and inflate that year’s results.

Tredrea has also backed up the story, he would know.

Where is Kochie and KT coming out and denying the story?
I guess that is a sneaky way to report a profit for publicity...

Given the AFL fund those payments and the expense is not club funded it really is pointless though.

I doubt they can take the spending shortfall in player payments and apply that funding to pay for Kochie and KTs airfares to Hong Kong and Shanghai...

I guess that is a sneaky way to report a profit for publicity...

Given the AFL fund those payments and the expense is not club funded it really is pointless though.

I doubt they can take the spending shortfall in player payments and apply that funding to pay for Kochie and KTs airfares to Hong Kong and Shanghai...

Ebert said this morning some of his payments were rolled over.

He thought it was salary cap pressure but that makes no sense given the players they moved on and the kids they’ve loaded up with

The rumours about Port's debt have been around for a while now.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/st-kil...lda-over-10-million-of-bad-debt-ng-b88767666z

The Saints, Brisbane and Port Adelaide are the three clubs carrying the heaviest debt.

AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan said St Kilda’s bad debt runs at more than $10 million.

This was in March last year, from memory I think Caro once said that Port were apparently second behind St Kilda with Brisbane not far behind.

It's not a stretch at all that Port are more than likely close to 10 million in debt.

Last edited:
Ebert said this morning some of his payments were rolled over.

He thought it was salary cap pressure but that makes no sense given the players they moved on and the kids they’ve loaded up with
He says what he has been told.

They must roll this over every year to report a better financial position. Then tell the world how much cap space they have for a big fish.

So any profit they report is nice for PR. But meaningless as they are just spending less AFL money to offset their real expenditure.

Very creative.

You only do this if you have insolvency issues. Rumoured $10m. in debt.
The AFL will come to the rescue again. The catch? Kern goes and the AFL will pay for him to go if they have to.
The catch is more likely to be that they're not allowed to sack Kern, if that results in the need for a payout. Oddly enough, I can live with that!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I will admit I am a bit vague on this subject, but did the Power push like crazy to move to AO because they said they would be far better financially, I could be wrong please fill me in
Forced US to move there too. I don't know that we were convinced it was the best thing.

Forced US to move there too. I don't know that we were convinced it was the best thing.
The deal at AO is better than AAMI (doesn't mean it's good compared to the rest of the league). Crowds are up.... Everything is better...

Except the SMA ruin it.

The fact we need to get around 40k or thereabouts to break even while Geelong can get half that and make a killing says all you need to know about how badly we are both being shafted.

In July talk was $2m

Don’t blame the messengers - and maybe your admin should shut up when they’re playing golf

The deal at AO is better than AAMI (doesn't mean it's good compared to the rest of the league). Crowds are up.... Everything is better...

Except the SMA ruin it.

The fact we need to get around 40k or thereabouts to break even while Geelong can get half that and make a killing says all you need to know about how badly we are both being shafted.
Our club could see this and didnt really want to go. The deal really isn't much better than AO. Just more corporate products to sell.

Having such a greedy third party involved (SMA) was always going to kill any real return for our clubs.

You guys ran to AO seeing it as the savior of the club. Very short sighted.

Except the SMA ruin it.

Did also hear Demetria held a gun to both clubs heads to move?

You guys ran to AO seeing it as the savior of the club. Very short sighted.
Do you seriously believe AAMI is better?

How do you reckon both crowds would be going right now at AAMI after we see the Western Australians in a shiny new stadium?

Staying at AAMI isn't an option. Renegotiating a s**t deal is.

How do you reckon both crowds would be going right now at AAMI after we see the Western Australians in a shiny new stadium?

Adelaide Oval far better ground and location. No doubt about that. The move had to be made.

But the deals are not really that far apart from the FP ones. We now have the SACA invovled, they want their coin as well as the SANFL.

From what I have been told the AO deal is far better with bigger crowds than the old FP one.
But once crowds drop off not so good.

We still have an archaic deal where the SACA/SANFL get far too much revenue for tmwhat they actually provide. The worst stadium deal in the AFL.

The novelty of AO has worn off. Now both clubs losing that is compounding this issue.

That’s not what he said

That’s not what he said
We'd both be royally ****ed if we had stayed.

The longer we both get shafted by the SMA, the longer both our clubs will never flourish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back