2019 Non-Crows AFL Chat #3 - the off-season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 9, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Maybe an outsider doesn't have the same rosey thoughts that an insider may? Just a thought.

Always skeptical with interim coaches.
That's a very good point. And I can't imagine Carlton taking too kindly to some truths that they don't want to hear. Both North and Carlton tried to portray that their searches would leave no stone unturned yet both appoint interim coaches before the current season even ends.

PAFC_1870

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 21, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls
That's a very good point. And I can't imagine Carlton taking too kindly to some truths that they don't want to hear. Both North and Carlton tried to portray that their searches would leave no stone unturned yet both appoint interim coaches before the current season even ends.
Look how that first week turned out too for North...

Oops...

I recall a coach somewhere saying something similar in the past and being told he didn't get the job.

Obviously Carlton atleast are looking like they have finally turned the corner, but that can just as easily go to s**t too....

Maybe the only big names said no, and it was either the interim or an unknown assistant... In which case both took the easy (safe) route.

Jul 9, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide

Oops...

I recall a coach somewhere saying something similar in the past and being told he didn't get the job.

Obviously Carlton atleast are looking like they have finally turned the corner, but that can just as easily go to s**t too....

Maybe the only big names said no, and it was either the interim or an unknown assistant... In which case both took the easy (safe) route.
It looked as though North had turned the corner too, but then last weekend happened. Oops is right.

Jan 6, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
That is absolutely right
It’s all rumour and innuendo with her now

The “tied naked to trees” was the final straw for me and when she didn’t have the good grace to apologise - well now she’s a mean spirited tabloid liar .
I'm not trying to defend Caro here (because she clearly ran with it), but for some reason I thought it was Mark Williams who started that BS ..?

PAFC_1870

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 21, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls
It looked as though North had turned the corner too, but then last weekend happened. Oops is right.
Picked the wrong week to play them....

Considering Geelong weren't exactly travelling well either...

I can't see either interim coach succeeding, but good luck to em. I remember the sentiments with signing Primus on the back of some wins...

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox

Oops...

Scott Burns said our list needed turning over

Sanderson got the job because he spoke glowingly of the list

Matthew Knights was similar. Now to be fair I dont know if Knights was the suck or the critic

May 10, 2009
Adelaide Oval
AFL Club
Adelaide
Maybe an outsider doesn't have the same rosey thoughts that an insider may? Just a thought.

Always skeptical with interim coaches.
Paul Roos is the only one I can remember having any major success. I guess Neil Craig went ok for a period too. Can’t remember many others...

PAFC_1870

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 21, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls
Paul Roos is the only one I can remember having any major success. I guess Neil Craig went ok for a period too. Can’t remember many others...
Lyon?

But maybe given that they inherited a team obviously in the shits that's probably not a bad rate to atleast put them back in regular Finals.....

Still doubt both of them were the best out there though...

PAFC_1870

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 21, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls

Matthew Knights was similar. Now to be fair I dont know if Knights was the suck or the critic
There you go, say what they wanna hear....

Didn't Choco too say something similar like they needed work? Maybe at St Kilda? How he didn't get a job ahead of some of them...

conVINCEd

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 15, 2003
Brisbane
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows
Now official. The second interim coach to be named head coach before the season has even finished. Have either or both clubs gone too early ?? Hard to believe they are actually the 2 most qualified and best suited people for the job.

There is clear justification for why Teague and Ratten are great choices for their current clubs. That doesn’t exist for Shaw but time will tell.

Nov 24, 2007
DTC Frat House
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Lambda Variant

Oops...

Was going to post the same, remembering when Sheedy stopped coaching Essendrug.

There's a big difference between being a good coach, and being a coach who tells the board what they want to hear.

Nov 24, 2007
DTC Frat House
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Lambda Variant
I take it Chris Judd's role at Carlton is now untenable

That's what you get for taking on board members who need training wheels.

But he'll stay on the board, because Carlton.

Surprised they haven't come out and asked for a priority pick just out of sheer habit

Nov 24, 2007
DTC Frat House
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Lambda Variant
I read something in another thread and wanted to check something, which told me something surprising

Here is a scatterplot of the 18 AFL teams, and their goalkicking accuracy

gaCapture.PNG

Try to guess which clubs are where, and which club is the *clear* leader, then have a look

West Coast 64.516% - clear, clear leader, they must be doing something specific around this
Geelong 59.545%
Richmond 59.242%
Greater Western Sydney 59.207%
Collingwood 59.091%
Brisbane Lions 57.692%
Essendon 57.584%
Adelaide 57.524% - 8th, i thought we were way worse
North Melbourne 57.072%
Carlton 56.533%
Hawthorn 56.397%
Melbourne 56.131%
Fremantle 55.914%
Sydney 55.670%
Gold Coast 55.556%
Port Adelaide 54.801%
St Kilda 54.430%
Western Bulldogs 54.018%

I read something in another thread and wanted to check something, which told me something surprising

Here is a scatterplot of the 18 AFL teams, and their goalkicking accuracy

View attachment 726987

Try to guess which clubs are where, and which club is the *clear* leader, then have a look

West Coast 64.516% - clear, clear leader, they must be doing something specific around this
Geelong 59.545%
Richmond 59.242%
Greater Western Sydney 59.207%
Collingwood 59.091%
Brisbane Lions 57.692%
Essendon 57.584%
Adelaide 57.524% - 8th, i thought we were way worse
North Melbourne 57.072%
Carlton 56.533%
Hawthorn 56.397%
Melbourne 56.131%
Fremantle 55.914%
Sydney 55.670%
Gold Coast 55.556%
Port Adelaide 54.801%
St Kilda 54.430%
Western Bulldogs 54.018%

Non-zeroed graph on the y-axis :mad:

subaru

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Bay 13: Flog of the Year
Nov 14, 2007
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'm not trying to defend Caro here (because she clearly ran with it), but for some reason I thought it was Mark Williams who started that BS ..?

She ran with it - said Mark Williams was right

Bay62

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
There is clear justification for why Teague and Ratten are great choices for their current clubs. That doesn’t exist for Shaw but time will tell.

Yeah

Unless you’re getting a proven coach like Clarkson or Longmire you’re choosing between unproven ones and looking for clues about their ability

Bolton’s clues were all “worked with Clarkson, coached the team for four weeks, oh and he’s a teacher so..”

Voss v Teague, Voss has little evidence vs Teague who has clearly turned the team around

Bay62

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Interesting comment in Teague’s presser

What did you learn from Phil Walsh?

Be authentic. Do it your way. Someone at Adelaide questioned what he was doing and he said hey I’ve got three years, I’m doing it my way, you don’t like it, sack me

:D :D Good on you Phil

subaru

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Bay 13: Flog of the Year
Nov 14, 2007
AFL Club
Adelaide
What ever happened to Vossy being named as Carlton coach. Thought sources heard it first hand. What a joke.
Would have been one hell of a funny story even if Port did have to lose him.

Sent from my MI PAD 4 using Tapatalk

So glad he’s staying at Port !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back