• Clarko and the Hawks should impose their own penalty

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stratton should be suspended by the MRP

Votes: 50 89.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The biggest problems were players you mostly don’t mention - B Crouch, M Crouch, Greenwood, Sloane. Midfield was slaughtered.

That’s where we need to rebuild
Greenwood perfect trading option IMO.

It's not that we don't have good mids, we just don't have anywhere near enough of them, or much difference between the ones we have.

Hence my desire to draft Noah Anderson. 190cm+ bull with forward craft

Greenwood perfect trading option IMO.

It's not that we don't have good mids, we just don't have anywhere near enough of them, or much difference between the ones we have.

Hence my desire to draft Noah Anderson. 190cm+ bull with forward craft
Yes. Milera must evolve to leader of our midfield, taking Jones, Gallucci, McHenry, Anderson with him. They can be physically supported by CEY, 1 x Crouch with Sloane cameos

The biggest problems were players you mostly don’t mention - B Crouch, M Crouch, Greenwood, Sloane. Midfield was slaughtered.

That’s where we need to rebuild
I'm 100% on board with this (though I'm close to 100% disagreement on Tex!).

We have the talent on our list in both the forward and backline, assuming we get decent coaches and selection. The biggest issue by a country mile is the midfield.

By it's nature, the wing can be a fickle position but our primary wingmen are more inconsistent, front running and softer than most. The usual back up wingman shouldn't even be on an AFL list...so the outside is already substandard when they play 1 good game in 4.

I don't want to sound like a Rabbit but a midfield led by the Crouch brothers isn't good enough. Matt is a great player, a 'Tom Mitchell lite', but he is painfully slow with zero defensive spread. Brad is worse because he has shocking defensive spread by choice, he's quick enough but is just a front running possession pig not willing to work hard both ways. His disposal is also substandard. Everyone wants him to kick more...maybe he should just nail the basics and release others?

Greenwood...I love him but again zero defensive spread outside the immediate contest (where he is great). Lack of fitness makes this worse as the game progresses.

Sloane...too busy getting tagged and rarely fights through it. That said, obviously a champion footballer with heart...play him in other roles you unimaginative buffoons! High forward? Wing? Half back? Deep forward target? Tagger? Sloane could excel in any of those positions while we improve our midfield balance.

CEY...love what he's done this year. Plays like he cares which really stands out. That said, also slow on the spread so again the balance needs to improve.

Gibbs...what a cluster**** waste of a top pick. Has checked out and wouldn't solve our defensive spread issues. His SANFL effort is deplorable, just coasts alongside players and lets them run off, absolutely does not care.

All in all, the midfield is way too one-dimensional, slow, poorly skilled with minimal defensive care beyond the stoppage. Not good enough!!

I don’t share your optimism but we could be fooled into believing we’re a chance to go deep into finals by winning the next few games which are soft by comparison to our last month.

Saturday showed me how appalling we can play. Not the only team to play totally s**t for a match this year - Collingwood, West Coast... but the level of s**tness of our performance is exacerbated by the fact we were smashed by our mortal enemy.

Watching Tex lumber around, and Jenkins forced off the ball by some pissant Port player, Talia struggling to get to a contest, Laird kicking OOF yet again, Smith and Seeds stopping starting stopping, double guessing, with so much work put in on Betts, Douglas and Dmack getting games, even Sloane plodding around, ROB being given a lesson....I just can’t see a bright finish to the season.

Was being sarcastic.

Until Saturday I thought our performances all year had been solid and reasonable but not overly spectacular. Given what we did in 2016 and 2017, I have now learnt to dampen any expectations and thought the football we were playing was generally the type of football that would win finals, defensive footy with occasional flair thrown in. Saturdays second half effort which followed the limp second half against Geelong have now shattered me.

Gibbs...what a cluster**** waste of a top pick. Has checked out and wouldn't solve our defensive spread issues. His SANFL effort is deplorable, just coasts alongside players and lets them run off, absolutely does not care.

That is what happens to a player, who everyone assumes has talent, when they play in a s**t side for most of their career!

They won’t be able to give the Suns one without giving one to Carlton as well... Carlton will sook like there is no tomorrow after getting knocked back last year..

Salient

That is what happens to a player, who everyone assumes has talent, when they play in a s**t side for most of their career!

200 games with Carlton, we couldn't de-Carltonise him. Sad.

Lloyd said we should trade out one of the Crouch boys.
If we're going to, it should be Matt. He's very very good at what he does, but we have a lot of his type.

Mind you, we should be building midfield depth not trading it away. Greenwood goes for mine, Sloane moves outside/hff, Milera into the guts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do people put too much stock in the look of the game and high scoring?
Ultimately everyone wants to win, if we won a GF 12 goals to 9 i wouldn't care and nor would most I'd say.

However I do like watching free flowing footy like we had for most of 2017

Lloyd said we should trade out one of the Crouch boys.
Judd says we should trade out Brad...wow, did they get their ideas from under the same bottle top?

"I think you can only have one genuine ball hunter in your midfield and I think, perhaps, even though both the Crouch brothers are brilliant players, one of them should look elsewhere to open up and get some leg speed into that team."

It's working well for Carlton at this point Chris!

Sure we need more spread, but the Crouch boys aren't the ones to get rid of. It's Greenwood, CEY, Douglas that need to be replaced.

Judd says we should trade out Brad...wow, did they get their ideas from under the same bottle top?

"I think you can only have one genuine ball hunter in your midfield and I think, perhaps, even though both the Crouch brothers are brilliant players, one of them should look elsewhere to open up and get some leg speed into that team."

It's working well for Carlton at this point Chris!

Sure we need more spread, but the Crouch boys aren't the ones to get rid of. It's Greenwood, CEY, Douglas that need to be replaced.

Maybe it was Judd, I was only half watching

I’d trade out Brad, provided it was the right deal
The problem with trading Brad is we'd get a good pick for him.

This would force us to re-sign Mackay and Douglas so we have some "experience" in the side. We'd then draft a star, not play them, and they'd leave for a second rounder after 2 years

Id rather my side scratching and crawling to a narrow win than a classy loss any day.
Agreed and I think everyone would

Have attendance and television numbers been dropping away with the scoring?

It's such rubbish they you'd trade either brad or Matt.

You trade out CEY and or Greenwood and you target the type of player you want. Assuming either have value.
Well that’s just the point - assuming value.

I agree that Greenwood is another tradeable player, nothing like the value Brad might have - CEY is a FA.

It's such rubbish they you'd trade either brad or Matt.

You trade out CEY and or Greenwood and you target the type of player you want. Assuming either have value.
The problem is that CEY is on a rookie contract

ed: and a FA

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back